Tune once and done? I don’t believe it.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by dscottyg, May 31, 2021.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Nobody ever borrows my guitar, beer, tools or money...:rolleyes:

Ebidis and Bob the builder like this.
  2. bignanoman

bignanoman Strat-Talk Member

Both my Martins stay in tune for months. A big temperature or humidity change will cause tune to stray 1/2 note or so.

3. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

And if someone did happen to borrow your beer, would you want it back?

Ebidis and Strat-Slinger like this.
  4. bignanoman

bignanoman Strat-Talk Member

Ditto - my American Strats all stay in tune pretty good - same here

Bowmap likes this.
  5. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

My experience... if I ignore my tuner... my Strats stay in much better tune... seriously...
    where I agree with many that it IS good to be in the best tune possible... we can drive ourselves NUTS splitting hairs trying to get the guitar in PERFECT tune... which is a falsity... it's simply impossible for this.. tuning and intonation will always be slightly off by a cent or so.. so don't sweat it...
    Hey, play in a band setting and use a pedal board?.. try this next time..
    Take your tuner out of the chain... just tune up once before playing... and see how much you miss the tuner... I bet you'll find you don't need it half as much as you thought you did beforehand..
    In the very least you get to see how good your ears are in relating to pitch!! Enjoy..

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. login

login Strat-Talk Member

I play my Strat every day for a few hours, SRV Lo Tune strings a half-step down, doing a lot of bending on the 2nd and 3rd, last time I tuned it was a month ago. When the strings were new I had to tune every time. But the 11s are pretty much settled now. The nut is plastic from the 2000s, the tuners are the non-locking Fender tuners. The string trees are not installed since I've leveled the frets, which results in a muffled sound while playing open strings, but not too bad, actually sounds closer to a fretted string.

7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

All but one of my electrics hang on a wall display, and none of them are able to be picked up and played without tuning. I blame that primarily on changes in room temperature, what with heating or air conditioning necessary.

I do have a few guitars that stay in tune pretty well. One is a Taylor 710ce, and it is always cased with humidification when it's not being played, because it's all solid wood. Another is an Epiphone DR-500 mce which is all solid wood, so it is also cased and humidified when not being played. The other one is a PRS Hollowbody II Piezo that I recently bought (pardon me for not getting a NGD done), and since there is no room on the display wall, it stays in it's case when not played.

The consistent theme for the guitars that hold their tune the best is that they are cased. The Taylor holds it's tune the best, but that doesn't mean that I don't check the tuning whenever I play it, just like every other guitar. When I play, I want the best sound I can get, and that means the guitar needs to be in tune.

When I started playing, being out of tune was less noticeable to me, but after 20 some odd years, I wince a bit if even one string is slightly out of tune.

8. martinmj

martinmj Strat-Talk Member

Most of my guitars ( I have 16) keep in tune all the time. I have all of them with decked/blocked bridges, and no tuning problems whatsoever. And yes, I check tuning every time I play, and not all of the guitars are Fender or Squier.

9. tonedesign

tonedesign Strat-Talk Member

Not for me. I have a partscaster with a Warmoth neck fitted with an original Wilkinson roller nut (like on the original Jeff Beck Strat) and a set of locking sperzels and the trem set flat. I can pull that one out of it's gig bag after a couple months and it's still in tune.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  10. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-O-Master

January 1 is guitar tuning day for me. By June or July I'm being hailed as a jazz guitar genius innovator.

TP

11. mattier303

mattier303 Strat-Talk Member

Amazingly enough I have found that my Japanese made Ibanez guitars from the late 90’s with double locking lo pro tremolos stay in tune for ever. My starts need to be tuned almost everytime I pick it up.

12. garbeaj

garbeaj New Member!

Sorry to you guys who think you have perfect pitch and can tune a piano by ear. Even the best of us have at best fairly good relative pitch.

Unless you can get out your Peterson strobe tuner-mechanical or digital-and prove to me that none of your guitar’s strings go out of tune by even 1/10th of a cent over whatever period YOU THINK you are perfectly in tune, you are just plain wrong.

Many who claim that their guitars are in tune often don’t use tuners or they are using a poor quality non-strobe chromatic tuners. These guys just don’t understand how tuning works and their concept of pitch is way off. It’s just a fact and I wonder why these people even open their mouths (or begin to type) on a subject about which they clearly have no firm understanding.

There are very few people that have an amazing, proveable perfect pitch or extremely good relative pitch. But anyone who says that they have perfect pitch or that their guitars never go out of tune or stay perfectly in tune over very long periods of time are in actual fact lying for some strange reason or they are just totally ignorant about tuning and pitch and they are somehow overcompensating by lying about their guitars staying perfectly in tune over “x” amount of time or about having perfect pitch.

Richard McKay likes this.
  13. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

It's winter here, yes...

14. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

In winter I tune play for five minutes until the strings warm up from me touching them the retune. Because it goes flat after warm up.

15. martinmj

martinmj Strat-Talk Member

Harmonics, anyone?

16. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

I was saving this for next April, but would you be interested in a couple of sets of my patented Stayntune strings?

Ed de Jager likes this.
  17. rossmon

rossmon Strat-Talk Member

I’m such a crap guitarist, I tune all the time in hopes of sounding a bit better! Truth is, my strat holds its tune for a long time, same with my acoustic Guild. Now, my dan electro with upgraded tuners does not hold a tune @all since the neck fell off the cheap fiberboard body

18. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

19. DrDiederick

DrDiederick Strat-Talker

Technically impossible....... imagine what happens if you change to Drop D tuning :sneaky:

BW
    D

20. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master