Tuners not fitting?

lightplatonic

New Member!
May 6, 2022
to
hi all just wondering if anyone can help me - I purchased a guitar and noticed that the tuners seem too small or a piece is missing, I've attached a picture below (all the tuners are like this) - I've never replaced tuners before does anyone know what size or how to measure so that I'm buying the right replacement, or is there a piece missing between the wood and the tuners that I should buy? I'm fine with doing either way have no attachment to the tuners (it is a partscaster apparently)

PXL_20221004_134834540.jpg

wooders

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
Looks like vintage tuners in modern holes. Vintage is 8.8mm on face and 6mmish on back. Modern is 10mm. You can get replacement bushes to fit the vintage tuners in 10mm holes, or fender do a modern vintage tuner that fits 10mm holes.
I like the split shaft tuners, so would look for 10mm bushes for the ones you have.

Chipss36

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
This happens when a modern tuner is used, larger diameter, then switch to a vintage smaller diameter, you can get conversion vintage style bushings.
like at say stew Mac or others, a caliper is a good thing to have to figure all this out. Starting with what size hole is in the headstock, this can be all over the place..
not all bushing are the same size. Not even conversation bushings.
Having a caliper to measure before buying is a good idea, not a hard fix, but takes some measuring, and parts sourcing , many conversion bushing do not list id, and OD, and the tuners need to also fit the bushing. It a pain in the butt to fix this little issue. I have done it a few times now.

lightplatonic

New Member!
May 6, 2022
to
ah okay..thanks for all the info, good learning experience for me! thanks so much. I do like this style of tuner but I'm fine changing it as well, might be easier to just change it I guess

Fenderbaum

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 11, 2020
Bergen, Norway
you need something like..

A digital calliper is the best way to measure. Take off one tuner and the bushing and measure the hole bare wood hole, then you will see.
Conversion bushings do comes in a few sizes.

Tip: Once the tuner is off.. Check the backside of the tuner and look for any stamps or markings and let me know.

Last edited:

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Looks like vintage tuners in modern holes. Vintage is 8.8mm on face and 6mmish on back. Modern is 10mm. You can get replacement bushes to fit the vintage tuners in 10mm holes, or fender do a modern vintage tuner that fits 10mm holes.
I like the split shaft tuners, so would look for 10mm bushes for the ones you have.
This says it all...

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
ah okay..thanks for all the info, good learning experience for me! thanks so much. I do like this style of tuner but I'm fine changing it as well, might be easier to just change it I guess
Not easier really. Just a bit more costly. If you measure and get the right bushings it should be a snap to remove and reinstall these.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
hi all just wondering if anyone can help me - I purchased a guitar and noticed that the tuners seem too small or a piece is missing, I've attached a picture below (all the tuners are like this) - I've never replaced tuners before does anyone know what size or how to measure so that I'm buying the right replacement, or is there a piece missing between the wood and the tuners that I should buy? I'm fine with doing either way have no attachment to the tuners (it is a partscaster apparently)

View attachment 596565
The bushings are the wrong size for the post.

The_Whale

Strat-O-Master
Apr 11, 2020
Gaithersburg, MD

Measure the diameter of the hole/s in the headstock, and of the posts of tuners, then come back here with the results and somebody here will be able to post a link for the correct bushings to make these fit.

The Ballzz

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 26, 2014
LAS VEGAS , NV
Best $25 you'll ever spend. They're often on sale for less and/or there are almost always 20% or 30% off coupons available! It conveniently converts metric to decimal and fractional SAE. Its Da Bomb!

Just Sayin'
Gene

lightplatonic

New Member!
May 6, 2022
to
So it turns out that 9mm is too small (falls out) and 10mm is too big (cannot push them in with my hand) lol..I just went with 9mm and put some tape around it, does 9.5 exist or did I just get a weird neck?

The_Whale

Strat-O-Master
Apr 11, 2020
Gaithersburg, MD
So it turns out that 9mm is too small (falls out) and 10mm is too big (cannot push them in with my hand) lol..I just went with 9mm and put some tape around it, does 9.5 exist or did I just get a weird neck?

There were several posts on this thread that asked question/s; you didn't bother to answer them.

Nor did you post more than one semi-useful photo.

You're making it difficult for anybody to help....