Tuning issues / floating bridge

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by piage84, Sep 24, 2021.

1. piage84

piage84 Strat-Talk Member

Right, just got my first Strat few days back. Never had a floating bridge guitar before. It's a 2020 player series.

I noticed that as soon as I touch the trem bar, the nut and/or the string tree "cling" like crazy and of course, the guitar goes out of tune big times. Today I put some graphite in the nut slots (btw, I think the nut is not cut properly but I might be very wrong). It might have help a bit, especially the high strings, but the low E and A still can't stay in tune. Still the string tree makes a lot of noises. My tele doesn't make any noice when I tune it, ever.

What I can do? I was thinking changing the nut to a tusq xl (and maybe put a roller string tree).

Also, as mentioned, never had a floating bridge before but I noticed that when I bend strings, the bridge moves. Is that normal?

Any trick to help the baby stay in tune it's be great. I'm having a lot of fun with it and love how it plays. But the fact that I have to retune so often is a pain.

Thank you

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

first.. unless you actually need the tremolo.. block it...

next, yes, it sounds as if you are correct.. the nut slots are possibly too narrow for the gauge strings you're using.. either go to a smaller set or have a tech refile the slots.. do NOT try it yourself unless you have the correct files...

Roller string tree.. ahh. maybe, maybe not... just a little dab of grease on the strings should be all that's needed..

r

3. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

No need for roller string trees or a new nut. A little work will likely have yours working fine. I bought nut files and addressed my guitars myself when I had nut issues and string ping. A little nut sauce on the nut and a couple of strokes through the slots took care of it. Both of my trems are floating.

Edit: I did buy a new nut for one but it was required. The stock slots were wayyy to low so I did replace mine with a Tusq XL. That's when I had to buy nut files. The Tusq nut was giving me issues with only D'addario strings so I hit the slot with a file a few times and took care of the issue.

shupe13 likes this.
  4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Heh - isn't that what a Tele's for?

:D

5. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

An alternative to blocking the trem like a certain aging English rock God whose name might as well be Voldemort around here, you can buy and fit extra trem springs and or tighten down the trem claw. This will help deck the trem and make it easier to tune in the first place, especially with heavier strings.

It won't help with strings going out of tune if you use the trem too hard, of course.

6. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Teles are for real men. Rick Parfitt, RIP, used to string his with barbed wire and old coat hangers by some accounts.

Strats are for guys who have curly perms and use "product" on their hair, wax their chests, arms, legs and unmentionable areas...:eek:

:p:D:p:D

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Tele?? well perhaps

bluejazzoid likes this.
  8. piage84

piage84 Strat-Talk Member

Thank you guys.

So, am I right to think it's all the nut's fault at this stage? Are there any other things that could lead to a strat to fail to keep in tune?

9. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like the nut is binding. I had that problem and it was super annoying. Once fixed, it was perfect.
    Yes the bridge will lift up if the tension on the springs allows it.
    Double stops will be out of tune possibly if the bridge floats.
    Try to find a competent guitar tech to walk you through what can be done.
    The mechanics are fairly simple. You just need to learn how it all works, and you can decide whether to work on it yourself or get someone to do it for you.