Turns out he was just giving his friend a ride. F**k!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stpitch

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 2, 2019
Southeast USA
Now, I’m blaming the ridiculously poorly trained cops who dropped the ball at the domestic violence call from this address a few hours before the murder. I’m sick of poorly trained police not EVER doing their jobs to properly protect its citizens.
One of the problems with that is, many times when they do their jobs, they get fired and/or prosecuted.

Houdi Elbow

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 9, 2021
UK, somewhere in the Midlands
I don't know you Scott, but I have some empathy with how you are feeling right now.
A few years ago I also lost a friend. He was an innocent passer by who caught a bullet as shots were fired in a domestic incident in the street, outside a house a few doors down from his own house. He died at the scene.
The person who fired the shots is now doing time at Her Majesty's pleasure, but my friend's famiy will feel that pain forever. I still miss him.
God bless you and your friend's family.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Well then, you're very much welcome to move up north ! It would get you closer to Canadian maple, if you use it in your guitars :D

BTW, as mentioned, you level of luthier is fairly rare here...
I checked into it and if I was in my 30’s the Canada would welcome me with open arms, but since I’m pushin 70 they don’t really want me to burden their health care system. I almost married a Canadian woman 20 years ago, but unfortunately that didn’t work out.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
I checked into it and if I was in my 30’s the Canada would welcome me with open arms, but since I’m pushin 70 they don’t really want me to burden their health care system. I almost married a Canadian woman 20 years ago, but unfortunately that didn’t work out.
Our health care system is for everyone, especially the aging and vulnerable.
That's what we paid for.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Our health care system is for everyone, especially the aging and vulnerable.
That's what we paid for.
Yes, but I know first hand what Scott is referring to...

I had a grand uncle and an grand aunt that were Canadian and move to the US in the 60's for reason related to their son's health. Sadly, he passed in his early teens and they decided to remain in the US as they were now US Citizen (dual citizenship), had jobs, owned a house, etc.

Years later, as they aged, they had really no family or close ones to take care of them. So my parents offered to take care of them. Plan was to renovate our family house to have a bi-generation setup and have them close to us.

Well, turns out that citizenship is not right of residency. Their return was refused by the Canadian immigration for the exact same reasons as Scott mentioned. They were considered high risk to the health care system and were deemed not to have contributed long enough to benefit from it. Even if we vouch for them and their well being, they would not have been authorized to remain more than 180 days per year in Canada.

It was a real mess.. TBH...

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
Yes, but I know first hand what Scott is referring to...

I had a grand uncle and an grand aunt that were Canadian and move to the US in the 60's for reason related to their son's health. Sadly, he passed in his early teens and they decided to remain in the US as they were now US Citizen (dual citizenship), had jobs, owned a house, etc.

Years later, as they aged, they had really no family or close ones to take care of them. So my parents offered to take care of them. Plan was to renovate our family house to have a bi-generation setup and have them close to us.

Well, turns out that citizenship is not right of residency. Their return was refused by the Canadian immigration for the exact same reasons as Scott mentioned. They were considered high risk to the health care system and were deemed not to have contributed long enough to benefit from it. Even if we vouch for them and their well being, they would not have been authorized to remain more than 180 days per year in Canada.

It was a real mess.. TBH...
Thank you for your thoughtful comments.
Hadn't considered that.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
I don't know you Scott, but I have some empathy with how you are feeling right now.
A few years ago I also lost a friend. He was an innocent passer by who caught a bullet as shots were fired in a domestic incident in the street, outside a house a few doors down from his own house. He died at the scene.
The person who fired the shots is now doing time at Her Majesty's pleasure, but my friend's famiy will feel that pain forever. I still miss him.
God bless you and your friend's family.
I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend. It’s sickening.

muttonbuster

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 14, 2020
República de Cantaloupia
I guarantee you that guy's rap sheet is a mile long. Just my opinion, but if we have DA's who in their infinite wisdom allow the violent back out on the streets to commit more acts of violence over and over and over again; then you certainly can't blame law enforcement as they aren't the ones unlocking the cell doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts