Turns out i LOVE small nuts !!! and here is why .....

Mongoose

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 1, 2022
Myrtle Beach Sc
I always thought wide nuts "1.69" with wide string spacing were the way to go ...UNTIL i just fell in love with my new custom shop with a thin .79-.81 neck with 1.65 and slightly tighter string spacing

Here is what changed ...in the cowboy chord area, now when changing from 1 chord to another , it feels so easy and simple

If you love small nuts , lets hear why !!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0625 (1).jpg
    IMG_0625 (1).jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 7

Bongo

Strat-O-Master
Feb 11, 2011
Seattle
actually, neck dimensions don't make a lot of difference to me anymore. Between doubling on mandolin, bouzouki, mandocello, acoustic guitar, and electric on the same gig it just doesn't faze my hands anymore.

Ronnie Fn D

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 1, 2022
Valrico FL
Do you have a micrometer to measure the distance between the strings because you are only 4 hundredths of a inch different overall width. I'm curious, I have two guitars with the same nut widths as you and they are the same lol. All my mics are in my box at work, if I remember tomorrow I'll bring one home and measure.

Bob the builder

Dr. Stratster
May 2, 2016
Cranston, Rhode Island
Whatever comes on a modern c neck is where I'm most comfortable.
Too skinny a neck gives me cramps and I don't like the slim D that comes on Epiphone guitars cuz I use my thumb over the top sometimes and my fingers won't bend around. it's too wide for me.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Do you have a micrometer to measure the distance between the strings because you are only 4 hundredths of a inch different overall width. I'm curious, I have two guitars with the same nut widths as you and they are the same lol. All my mics are in my box at work, if I remember tomorrow I'll bring one home and measure.

Maybe. You can get wider string spacing on a 1.65 nut vs a 1.69 nut and vise versa. Spacing is influenced by nut width but not dictated by it.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Whatever comes on a modern c neck is where I'm most comfortable.
Too skinny a neck gives me cramps and I don't like the slim D that comes on Epiphone guitars cuz I use my thumb over the top sometimes and my fingers won't bend around. it's too wide for me.

I'm the opposite. Thick fingers and palms, shorter fingers. Good for boxing, bad for guitar, piano, and a lot of other instrument. But I am the guy you want to call to open jars. I fret an open A chord with two fingers because three won't fit.

Slim-D makes me happy. I'm not doing any "thumb over the top" on any neck. Ain't happenin' for this boy. The wider the string spacing and thinner the neck, the better.