Turtle Guitar

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Roger66, Sep 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah, did not want to go there.

upload_2021-9-3_22-12-41.png ?

Really? D'Oh3.gif

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

You know, Brazilian Rosewood is almost extinct. Its a living thing. I dont see anyone here getting rid of their Martins or Strats.
    Just sayin'.

Willmunny and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. StratoMutt

A valid point - to a point. Almost extinct? Cite your sources.

Martin phased out Brazilian rosewood in main production starting in the mid 60s. The three piece back of the D-35 was partly designed to maximize the use of of a dwindling resource. East Indian rosewood has been the Martin standard since. They still use Brazilian in very limited quantities (stupid expensive!), as do other instrument makers.

If you do not see the difference between a tree and a turtle, you still do not get the point.

4. Roger66

Well they lifted the Rosewood ban on 'common sense' grounds in 2019. What is the Real difference! Mine IS pre-1970 unless they put 10-20 year old tuners on it.
    I am gonna record something on it. It might be the last recording of one ever. I WONT share it with anyone though. You think the PICKS sound good!...people should not know how good they sound.
    I was taken by the tone. I made a mistake.

5. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-O-Master

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    Ehhh, just get rid of it, save yourself the headache, and for god's sake don't beat yourself up over it. You made a mistake and you learned from it. That's all. No, you did not bring bad karma on yourself. That turtle was eating celestial jellyfish in testudinate heaven probably before Khomeini came to power. Did you kill it, eat it, make money off of it? No, no, and no. Not that I'd own one, but the black market "turtle guitar trade" is not a factor in oceanic species extinction. Buying stuff that says "made in you know where", now that's a different matter seeing as "you know where" thinks they have the divine right to poach everyone else's coastline and EEZs into oblivion.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Roger66

Trees live even longer and they feel 'pain' and react to stress. It was a silly but valid point. My sources came from the internet. It was (is) in CITES appendix II.
    Since you guys think I should get rid of it. I will. I thought I was 'rescuing' it in a way and it's spirit would be loved and respected and treated better than a druggie would have done. I felt the buck should stop HERE! It deserves love. I wish I could resurrect it. But it died before I was born. So...It would have had a nice forever home here BUT NOOO! It just attracts hate. The good news is they are making a good comeback, unfortunately only in certain places. They are still bycatch and die that way as well as boat hits. I dont think I am part of the problem. My Karma is clean.

7. StratoMutt

I am sick and tired of reading how a Brazilian fretboard is sonically superior to East Indian.

BS_L.gif

3bolt79 and Biddlin like this.
  8. StratoMutt

JCNo3.gif

9. Roger66

I
    I Fear that if it is in a museum, stupid people will want them. Its best not to talk about them anymore. Or for people to hear the tone even. I am not gonna tour with it.
    I do find the shell very pretty. And consider myself lucky that I got to see one. Otherwise I never would have. I also didnt see one at the Shedd Aquarium, The Brookfield Zoo or the Field Museum of natural history. I have loved and raised turtles all my life.

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Look man, nobody hates you here. But knowing that was once a living, breathing creature, is horrifying.

There was a time when game preserves in Africa would legally sell Elephant Ivory taken from animals that died of natural causes, to help with the preserve’s expenses. It wasn’t expensive to get things like nut blanks made of Ivory through them.

It’s the ethics of the situation that I see a problem with. If it turns out to be pre-ban, then have at it and enjoy it, but I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would congratulate you on that purchase.

Biddlin, Roger66 and StratoMutt like this.
  11. Roger66

You with your GIF's! Im watching Clarkson right now

12. StratoMutt

PennNoNoNoNo.gif

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  13. Roger66

I was not looking for congratulations. I had never seen one. Have you? I was only sharing. I have established it is pre-ban, before 1970.
    I am glad, however, that you strat talkers care so much about the environment. That is great. I do too, you know. A lot.
    It is horrifying that someone killed a turtle to make it. I hope they ate it too. I fear that they might not have. This demented luthier sure knew how to make a guitar.
    I do feel bad. For the turtle! What else can I say?

Ferpie and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. StratoMutt

[​IMG]

Biddlin and 3bolt79 like this.
  15. Roger66

I didnt want congratulations. I only wanted to share. You cannot hear my tone of voice in this format. I said it slowly, with disgust.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. StratoMutt

[​IMG]

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. Roger66

I will cause no further trouble here.

18. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

19. davidd47

davidd47 Strat-Talker

I have a huge turtle that hangs around my shop that I will feed now and then. I will ask him what he thinks of this issue. Have to admit I am starting to get some ideas.
    Turtle tone baby!
    Turtle soup baby!
    Maybe I could kill the blind skunk that relies on me for food and shelter and make a cool furry strap to go with my turtle guitar.
    As of this minute I think I am still legally and morally able to pull this off. YES! Any takers? Turtle guitars for everyone! On me!

Biddlin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.