Two amps?!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by EricMD4692, Sep 2, 2020.

1. EricMD4692

EricMD4692 Strat-Talk Member

I recently have had the good fortune of getting not one but two amps for $200 bucks and had recently see. That Pedal Show where they run a bunch of two amp rigs and had to give it a try!

What a blast! If your neighbors won’t kill you for it, get an amp switcher and JUST DO IT!! Get the volume and tones balanced and definitely stand back... you will be bathed in only the most glorious of guitar noises.

For myself it is a Vox AC10 all the way up and gain around halfway and a Stage Right 15 Two thirds of the way up and its gain jus under half. It’s loud ( I got a max dB spl reading from an iPhone app for what that’s worth) so I play soft or roll the volume back and it just sings sweet ringing cleans and tasteful break up. I tried to match the ‘headroom’ for each amp but it sounded great with them at different break up points. And that’s all before I even get to stepping on my colorful gadgets. The volume on the guitar can keep me quiet and the OD’s or fuzz can add the perfect mix of boost and grit to coax all kinds of cool and unique saturations from my tubes.

It gives me so much variability and a huge range of tone and I am grateful for my wonderful neighbors for letting me explore the heavenly bliss of double hot tube on tube action in my apartment.

Have you tried it? Did you like it? Should we talk about this elswhere?

2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Been doing it for decades. No switcher needed. Daisy chain.

299588-ccf9f9cf5b4af1bc866e00c0d9b8d9f0.jpg

3. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Fun stuff! Welcome to the club. I use a pedal with two outs to go to each amp.

IMG_20200817_185252.jpg

4. EricMD4692

EricMD4692 Strat-Talk Member

Rock on! That looks like a killer combo... combo? How do you blend the sounds for each one! I got a crisp and bass filled sound from one but it has less headroom and more crunch and then other come in with mids for days and a treble that reinforces the chime of the first. Do you play with others? Is it ever really too much?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I do, but for image spread, not tone stacking. I did have one of them and a Supersonic 22 at the same time for a while, and dabbled in that. Pleasing.

DSC_0890.JPG

6. LHFenderCollector

LHFenderCollector Strat-Talk Member

I have a 1960s Selmer TnB 50R Amplifier (same one the Beatles used in their early days) , and many YouTube articles recommend 'combining' the Hi and Lo Inputs to create a 'duplexed' Input. I haven't tried it , but I can see how a 'delayed' phasing (if only a 1/2 second) could make a difference. My REVERB Unit (unfortunately) is a 'mess' here , so it makes this Experiment something not worth trying.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. LHFenderCollector

The VOX 30 is 'Nice' , if you want to do a Jeff Beck 'Maneuver' , as seen in the 1970s movie "Blown Away". These amps had a history of "Crappin' Out".

abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

A few years back, I bought the least expensive used Vox 15 GC had. 325$. This one is over 10yr old and going strong.

dante1963 and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. mojoz69

mojoz69 New Member!

I almost feel like telling you your missing whats there but you appear quite content and I don't want spoil that feeling. I only wish that get that sweet sound was my issue but had to admit to myself it wasn't the sound it was the player. It also took many of years buying gadget after gadget searching for that sound which I found only to realize you guessed it The player(me) I do have those days when real music comes out and thats what I'm chasing most of the time. Now this is where you benefit from my lousy playing. I did a lot of experimenting with gadgets and the second amp set up in true stereo brings so many options. I have used so many differnt processors and what not and almost all of them are just to thin and tinny by them selves yes they almost trick you and you think wow this sounds great only to realize your turning knobs pushing buttons and it still on the thin side or its just something. Trying all these gadgets did lead me to my 65 moded pro reverb that just pure sings out like she's alive with only one purpose in life to please me. She don't care if I put something in front of her or not So here is what opens your dual amps setup Get a yourself an A/B connection I use a Rapco A/B 100 so you start two seperate outputs either one can be on or off independently mine has a third line that can be used but rarely do I use it. I don't use a lot of effects but I find at least 1 delay is a must it is the key and 1 amp that you love you have more sounds then you can imagine with a overdrive a delay don't get me wrong 2 delays and add a wah and one more gadget that fits your style it is endless. Hell I can take a multi effects I don't like by itself but with your other amp Example I've been using a wah peddle more although I never really cared for the sound do to such a thinly sounding distortion I always liked it better clean but it always just seemed like it was lacking something but with dual amps you can get it to feel like its in both amps one dirty the other clean a delay for separation there are draw backs you need room to get the full feel along with extra cable and I like delay so I needed the second delay although I find my 65 pro is often singing dry with just a touch of onboard reverb.

10. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

I blend the volumes to something equitable and at a level relavent to the situation. Sometimes loud sometimes less. But with the two amps I certainly fill the room. Like @Robins says, "more is more." I'll run the pedals to one amp. Adjust gain on each amp.

Not so much. But if so I only bring the Vox. It's plenty.

Robins likes this.
  11. LHFenderCollector

I too purchased two amps a few years ago. One was a Traynor (Peavey) 15W 'Guitar Mate' , and the other was a Marshall DSL-15. The Traynor 15w 'Guitar Mate' (although more a Keyboard or PA then Guitar amplifier, is nice). My Marshall DSL15 is a 7.5 WATTS of Class A (Rockabilly) , or 15 WATTS of Pentode Mode (Everything Else). I like Fender guitars , but I 'despise' Fender Amps (except the 'original' Fender Reverb). Fender amplifiers Input Stage uses an irregular 'clipping' of the input signal to give that Fender "Sound". Either you 'like it' , or you don't. I (personally) don't. But I love my Marshall DSL-15 , it can 'Create' almost every sound I know , and some Grunge Rock & Heavy Metal sounds I am yet to 'explore'.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  12. LHFenderCollector

Almost bought one of those myself. Until I 'listened' to those that had used one. Great 'Highs' , but lacks a any "Full Range" sound. Nothing wrong with having one , if that is the 'sound' you Crave.

13. LHFenderCollector

The VOX has more 'Personality' than most Fender Amps , maybe you 'missed out' on a Really Good Deal , only you will be the Judge here. But as long as you are Happy. Does anything else matter?

14. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Is this dude actually responding to himself now :confused::confused:

15. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It's cool...I do it, but I have to talk loud enough to be sure I'm heard o_O.

Two amps--yes, please! My "bedroom rig" has the Wah/OD/Distortion/Fuzz ABY'd to a Bugera G5 on a 1x12 cab, and a Quilter 201 Tone Block on a 1x12 and a 2x8...the effects loop is on the Quilter. Running them both ~1w. Fun...full sound. (I have a big room with adequate neighbor safety boundaries.).

StummerJoe and duzie like this.
  16. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Yep. My normal setup is two amps. If I run wet/dry (usually), I either split them coming out of my Dittox2 at the beginning of the pedal board or use an old Morley A/B/Y. If I run them both with effects, I spit at the stereo reverb on my board (pretty sure it's not true stereo, though).

I have a volume pedal on one amp, so I can make one swell or boost for leads (or whatever). Sounds nice to me. I'd put a volume on the other amp except I'm afraid of pedal overload and I'm honestly too cheap to buy another volume pedal.

StummerJoe likes this.
  17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I used to run multiple amps together - initially a Peavey Classic 30 and a Hot Rod Deluxe - I ran the Peavey as my "wet" amp with delays and chorus in the FX loop, then ran the HRD with just some reverb and would kick in the overdrive channel for leads. The combo of the chimey EL84's in the Peavey and the meatier 6L6's in the HRD gave a nice EQ balance.
    Later I added a Fender Twin into the mix, running out of my TC Stereo Chorus - one side of the chorus to the Twin, the other to an ABY that went into the Peavey and HRD - killer wall of stereo tube tone, but it was LOUD.

An old clip running the Peavey and HRD together:

Lionpotato, StummerJoe and ChrisD like this.
  18. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Strat-Talk Member

If I recall correctly, Brian May did something like this by pairing an AC-15 (or AC-30) with his little "Deacy" amp-- named after Queen bassist John Deacon-- when he wanted a "guitar orchestra" with two distinct simultaneous guitar voices.

Deacon, a former Electronics Engineering student, built the amp out of a discarded radio he found in a dumpster.

19. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-O-Master

Man, If I use two amps I can sound twice as lousy. It's brilliant!

TP

20. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Brian May ran three amps, center left and right. The left and right were delays. I think there's live photos of him with nine amps,,,three rows of three.
    This is a pretty cool old video of him explaining and demo here, the delay/amp stuff starts around 7 minutes.