Two amps?!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by EricMD4692, Sep 2, 2020.

1. EricMD4692

EricMD4692 Strat-Talk Member

Sweet video examples, guys!

2. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I went overboard for a while with five amps - that didn't last but two gigs. Too much hassle, but sure did sound cool!

I now run a Rivera Jake Studio Combo with a Boogie Fillmore 50 on those glorious days when I can.

I like running them with different gain levels, and what is really cool is I can change which amp has the higher gain and which one is cleaner because both are channel switching amps. Makes for a lot of very different tones.

Going back to mono can be hard, but it is possible...but I'd rather be in stereo any day.:thumb::thumb:

3. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

man i used to hook up my ac4c112 and my ac30 together. id crank the 4 to where it needed to be then bring in the 30 til it sounded like eating a giant chocolate bar whilst riding through the air on pegasus.

Lionpotato and ChrisD like this.
  4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I used two run two amps in a wet/dry rig but in the end it wasn’t worth hauling the extra amp. Now I find a 5e3 with a fuzz, boost and delay sound perfect and is much easier to load in/out.

BenderGalleon likes this.
  5. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I always brought a backup amp, anyway. I found that a Peavey Bandit makes for a good amp stand. So, why not line out my main amp to second amps Line In/Effects In? Then when I started fronting a group, I found that it was easy to sing over a big sounding, low volume pair of amps.

dante1963 likes this.
  6. EricMD4692

EricMD4692 Strat-Talk Member

that’s what I was picturing when I started setting up two amps. It’ll keep up with a drummer, sound huge and still blend well with a singers mic and bass amp.

StummerJoe likes this.
  7. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Living room

20200703_104946.jpg

Spare bedroom

20200729_204024.jpg

I used to have better pics

StummerJoe likes this.
  8. jojo68

jojo68 Strat-Talker

I loved running 2 half stacks at gigs. Sounded so great and alot of fun, but it's so much easier to just use one half stack,esp when you are on a tight schedule to get loaded on and off asap.

9. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

I Was useing two amps and loved the quality of the sound I got so much that now I use Three amps. With the outer amps running in stereo and center amp used as mono. So after a while I started looking for a effects unit that would work with three separate channels out like parallel set ups work. Well that was a useless endeavor. I Did find a Rack unit that will do a Leslie effect that has Three outs Left,Right for the horns and center for the Rotor, works just like a Leslie. Now I am looking for effects that have stereo in and out to run into the left right horn section. They are not so easy to find either, especially distortion effects. Anyway I am trying to keep the left right panning effect of the leslie when using pedals and need to run the pedals off of the rack unit not into its stereo inputs so I can have the center rotor useing different effects then the horn left right channels. Sort of how a wet dry wet system is used.

10. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

I sometimes set up two of my amps but feel that unless the signal to one amp is slightly modified, either with a slight delay (20-30ms) or detuned slightly, you don’t really get a stereo effect. Stereo reverb on top of that is just bliss.

I once had a Rocktron preamp / effects unit and ran that through a two channel Marshall power amp, to two slant cab 4x12s. Playing that setup was a glorious. It sounded incredible with a doubling effect, stereo delay and reverb. It sounded HUGE. It’s too bad I sold all of that when I moved out on my own.

11. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

I've done it. You can get some really quite compelling tones that way. I originally did it because I wanted to A/B a pair of amps I had that were roughly similar in output. A Blues Junior and a Rebel 20 Egnator. After the comparison test I decided to run both and was quite impressed with the soundscape. I have since sold both of those amps but I do still sometimes run two amps with the A/B/Y box. My favorite combination is a lower wattage amp set to mild breakup and paired with a larger amp set to a deep, ballsy clean chime. I think the most fun I ever had was when a buddy brought over a home built 5E3 and we paired it with my 55 watt Rivera Fandango on the green channel. That was heaven.

StummerJoe likes this.
  12. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I kinda wish they didn't relocate the controls on HT20 to the top on the mark 2s. Not a deal killer, but I prefer the front mount.

13. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

sweet-stack-oh.jpg

Lionpotato likes this.
  14. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Two amp setups was a lot of fun and have a lot of possibilities. I used to run a HR Deluxe and then a Marshall into a 4x12. Best of both worlds.

15. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

I read one time about a guy who rewired a 412 cabinet so that it had two inputs, one for the left two speakers and one for the right two and ran two heads into it. That was many, many years ago, probably on the original FDP back in the eesite days, (so late 90s) or maybe the original TDP (before TDPRI) and I don't recall all the details but I think he changed the speakers as well so he could get the right impedance for the amps. I do recall he said it was addictive. I'm pretty sure that was the word he used. Addictive. I later learned that you can actually buy cabinets that are wired that way from the factory but I have never seen one.

16. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Me too. But they didn't ask me. I like the sound well enough to overlook that though

circles likes this.
  17. BenderGalleon

BenderGalleon New Member!

Two amps are fun to play with, but twice the work to haul. Lots of options. My favorite setup runs the dirt into the AC30 and chorus or delay effects into the Super Reverb.

Attached Files:

Lionpotato likes this.