U neck and V neck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by GoldenEagle0308, Jan 12, 2020.

1. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

I have an American Professional. At first I loved the neck, but I'm seeing some of its limitations. It tries to be good at both chording and individual note runs. By doing so, it's not great at either. I already have a guitar with a super fast neck (ESP E-II M-I). It's great for blazing scale runs and power chords, but not so much for good old Rolling Stones, Jimi, etc. It's too flat for a lot of varied chord work. I have bigger hands and am looking for some suggestions, experiences, etc. As a reference point, I've played the baja tele, which is a soft v neck profile and loved it. I played an LP traditional. Fat neck, but just ok feel.

Any thoughts regarding v necks and u necks will be appreciated.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

You just gotta hit some stores and play different git’s to see what feels good to you. IMHO of course.

3bolt79, Warlag, _MS_ and 3 others like this.
  3. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

My 70’s Classic Series has a U neck and I love it. It seems like a C with broad shoulders to me. Very comfy for chords and a good grip for lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

Everyone is different. I like beefy but flatter profile necks. I tried a vee for a while but the ridge made the pad of my thumb hurt after a while. My most liked necks are .88” at the first fret, .97” at the 12th fret, U or D shaped with a 7.25” or 9.5” radius.

3bolt79 and Violeiro like this.
  5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

I like the fat soft V on my EJ Strat, I liked the Fat U on my Am Orig 50's Tele, I love the fat soft V on my PRS Custom 22 with Pattern Neck.

3bolt79, Nate D and wrvond like this.
  6. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

Like a 59 AVRI. I really like those necks.

Paperback Rocker and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to P90 Strat-Talk Supporter

If you are used to super fast necks I suggest fat C or V to C shape. I think U shape would be too much, it usually is for most people, it has a lot of shoulder and digs in deep into the hand. Might seem comfy at first but you wouldn't be able to survive on it on the long run.

Fat C is the in between boat V and U, it has less shoulder than U and its super comfy, let's you get around the neck and feel inspired to play the guitar. Fat C is just like U shape 1 inch but less shoulder, V to C is another favorite.
    image_73781 (1).jpg

8. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

I played an older 50s style avri that was on loan to me for a while , sounds like the neck your looking for. If you get a chance try one. I just couldn’t see me paying that much for a guitar that at the time I would have been worried about playing it at some places we played

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-Talker

I have a traditional "boat neck" profile on my Blackguard Tele (soft V to C, similar to a Baja). It took a lot of getting used to, but now I really like it. It's certainly not for everyone, as the flatter part of the V on the bass side has to jive with your natural thumb placement in order for it to be comfortable. My brother is a thumb-wrap guy a la Hendrix and he doesn't get along with it at all.

Lovnmesomestrat and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I thought that most of all the Baja necks I tried were “big”. The V was barely there (“soft V”?). I have a “U neck” AVRI52 from the previous series and it’s a tad smaller than Baja or 2012-17 52, but very similar.

I do have a real big V neck at home (a Loar) and that’s something else entirely. Great for Freddie Green grips, but not really possible to play barré chords on it…

To answer your question: it seems to me that any Fender deep neck would suit you … “go and try a few” is, as always, the golden rule.

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I’m only familiar with the modern C neck , but I love v neck sweaters .

Lovnmesomestrat and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

There are soft V necks and there are modern soft V necks...

soft Vs.png
    I prefer the chunky one, it's fatter at the 1st fret than the Classic Player at 12th.

RadioFM74, 3bolt79 and felis like this.
  13. GoldenEagle0308

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

14. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Exactly how it feels to me, too. I thought I was the only one who felt it that way. Have that neck shape on my CS68, CS69 and AVRI 70's Strat.

Erik_C and 3bolt79 like this.
  15. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

The EJ is my first Strat that's not a modern 'C' and 9.5", I'm really liking it a lot.

3bolt79 and Stratoskater like this.
  16. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I like necks that are on good playing guitars. :)

I prefer a V shape, but most of the profiles on my guitars are different but they all play great. I have two Fenders and one Martin that have a V shape to them and I like the V, but none of that is a determining factor if I find a great playing or sounding instrument.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. GoldenEagle0308

I've been looking at the EJ strat but it's hard to find one I can play before buying.

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I've never used it, but I understand Sweetwater has a very easy return policy.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I never really thought about neck thickness until I bought some guitars with the Modern C on it. My hand gets tired after awhile on them (I strum a lot and play a lot of cowboy chords down on the neck). I grew up playing whatever thickness is on an '88 Am Std Tele. For that reason I tracked down a Strat with a similar feel ('99 Am Std) and it felt just like home. I also have a Classic '72 Thinline RI, that supposedly has what they call a U neck. It's nice and thick and I love it. So I guess I do better with thicker necks. FWIW, I'm not a finesse player -- I grab on and hack away. The thick necks feel right for that.

Violeiro and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

Neck profiles don't 'try' to do anything.
    The ability of any neck is wholly dependent on the person playing. Some find thin necks the best for every aspect of playing, others find thin necks slower and more uncomfortable to play than the hugest baseball profile.

You have to find what works for you. It is not hand size related either.....going by the experiences related here and on other guitar forums
    This means a bit of trial and error to find an ideal profile

Or learning to adapt yourself so you have the skill to play no matter what the profile.

JP68 and Violeiro like this.