Join Strat-Talk Today

U neck and V neck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by GoldenEagle0308, Jan 12, 2020 at 10:56 PM.

1. Violeiro

Violeiro Strat-Talker

That goes to tell why the many choices... I am completely the opposite, trying to get rid of my V soft and incoming U necks...as I favor the Ds and 60s C

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

No need to try, all three of mine have been perfect right out of the box.

3. Violeiro

Violeiro Strat-Talker

That is cool..you have one of each color? Pics?

4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Pretty sure I read somewhere the 10/56 vee-shaped neck is the most popular Fender neck ever.

Must be a reason for it.

5. Stratoskater

I used to own a 2010 black with maple but sold it. I have no pics of that one. I bought the tropical turquoise bound RW in 2017 but sold it summer of 2018, pic below and currently own the sunburst Thinline.

335AF24D-CEC6-462C-A8D6-00545960173C.jpeg C65C1BDD-2295-405D-9F90-AD2441307583.jpeg 08A0EEB4-690E-4163-B9C2-5540CFBA368C.jpeg 3BB3CA29-C344-4CCA-9960-236B4E0EB4C6.jpeg B5BC2EB1-2163-4B74-9180-98FD5B3566DC.jpeg

6. Violeiro

Violeiro Strat-Talker

Congrats... I was between the EJ and the AO...they are nice for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

7. Stratoskater

I almost bought the AO 50’s when I bought the Thinline but the EJ pickups and quartersawn neck are so sweet I went for the Thinline. I still miss the RW EJ though and have thought about buying another one.

8. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-Talker

I played a Clapton signature “blackie” model off and on for awhile and the v shaped neck just never felt quite right - I don’t have enough experience to asses, but think that I may like the u shaped neck...

9. Stratoskater

U’s are fatter and lack the central ridge of the V. Clapton’s are a harder V than the EJ or AO 50’s. If you like fat necks like 50’s Gibson’s had you’ll love a Fender U.

10. cjpeck

cjpeck Strat-O-Master

The more instruments you regularly play, the less you'll care about the neck profile. As well as frets, sting gauge (within reason) and all the other stuff folks obsess about.
    In my own band I'm covering mandolin, bouzouki, a couple electrics (old jazzmaster and a 6120), and a couple acoustics (J-200 and an old Cumberland strung up Nashville style) and fiddle on a couple tunes for giggles. Neck profile just doesn't matter at this point, I've got so any different things in my paws that it all feels good no matter if it's a chunky monkey, wizard neck, or deep v like the old Gibby arch tops from the 20's. You find a way to get around and do what you need to do. For that matter fret board radius doesn't make much difference either.

Stratoskater likes this.
  11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

For a sense of what a large-ish soft V is, go try a Vintera 50s (non mod). Those I’m sure you can find around. It’s kind of an unforgettable neck… I tried one once and keep thinking back to it…

And again NB: not all “V” necks are created equal. The big soft V of the Vintera is very, very different from the thinner and harder V neck found on Classic Series, Road Worn, etc… and just as different from the huge hard V neck on my Loar. Not better, nor worse, but way different.

12. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

Thanks for the suggestion!

RadioFM74 likes this.
  13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

The shape of a neck is completely dependent upon the geometry of your hands as they encounter the neck, thus none of our opinions about such a broad range, V vs U, will matter, even if Clapton "V" or Buchanan. Fat U, were to log on, a bit of an issue for Roy, it wouldn't matter.

You have to make the determination, it's the only opinion that counts.

R

Stratoskater and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.