U.S. Postal Service

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Nov 19, 2013.

1. TrevorMarshall

TrevorMarshall Strat-O-Master

I work for the USPS and just a heads up that tracking doesn't work out of the country all that often so once it leaves the us it's usually not tracked at that point.

2. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT?????

It's also the honest truth. My wife has been a carrier with the Post Office for 26 years. We know how it works.

Nothing is perfect. The USPS is no different. They are doing a monumental job with limited resources. Sure, mistakes are made. There are actual humans doing most of the work. We make mistakes.

Average those against the volume of mail that is being moved every second of our lives and it's a pretty insignificant amount.

It's been popular to make jokes about the USPS for as long as it's been around. But every last one of us would be up the proverbial stinky creek without their services.

And they're cheaper than all the others. That's why the others use the USPS so much. It's cheaper than their way.

When it's gone, and it will be, it will be sorely missed.

3. inkedintville

inkedintville Senior Stratmaster

Yeah I know. One of my buddies has been with the USPS about that long so I get to hear all the good stuff about them. Funny you should mention the other carriers using them as well. I ordered something a while back that came across the country according to the UPS tracking via from them to the USPS then back to UPS terminal to be delivers to my door.

Strat-Talk Moderator

4. Rogue Bohemian

He's right. And it goes the other way too. FedEx in particular carries a lot of mail for the USPS.

Plus, NONE of the carriers will treat your parcels with more respect. It's a game with the UPS drivers. Put FRAGILE on one of their packages, and it will get tossed around like there's a prize if you break it.

It's very easy to check me on that one. Just get close enough to hear what's going on in the truck when the driver is rearranging the packages. You'll hear them bouncing off the walls and each other.

One of my best friends worked for UPS right out of high school and I rode with him a bunch of times. He was very open about their attitudes about the stuff they carried. And we'd meet for breakfast often at Olie's in Alameda on High Street with most of that area's other UPS drivers. They made no attempt to hide their treatment of the parcels, talking freely about it in the restaurant.

Folks don't realize how good they have it sometimes.;)

5. NEStrataholic

NEStrataholic Senior Stratmaster

The USPS is cheap not because it is better run, more efficient, or uses better technology. It is cheaper because it is subsidized by taxes. So, the price per item sent is the cost of the stamp (postage) PLUS the tax burden. It's deceiving - you can't just consider the postage.

6. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The post office delivered it - it's a killer dual overdrive pedal (Timmy/Zen) I bought from a builder in the UK and he sent it RoyalMail (Parcelforce?) - cost was $18

Ha! I went to look it up to copy and paste it here - and this is what it still says (I've had the pedal for about a week already)

7. Rogue Bohemian

:DExcellent. That's what I like to refer to as a "Now what?":eek:

It's popcorn for breakfast. I plan to be ready.;)

8. H. Mac

H. Mac Strat-Talker

Sorry about the trouble you're having, Stratman. But, the U.S. Postal Service is not the culprit.

Since you're in London, you're not actually dealing with the U.S. Postal Service, even if it seems certain that you are. The relationship between the U.S. Postal Service and the postal system(s) in other countries is governed exclusively by international treaties that control the nature and extent of the services that the USPS can offer to other countries (and vice versa).

For instance, with the exception of US embassies and military reservations, a piece of mail that originates outside of the USA cannot be placed by the mailer directly into the mailstream through the USPS. This is because a treaty/ies prevent the USPS from opening a post office in London or even from accepting non-cancelled mail matter anywhere in England (and I mention this only because private USA companies are typically not restricted in setting up businesses in other countries). The converse of this (that the UK's Royal Mail system can't open a post office or accept non-cancelled mail matter within the US) is also true.

Even when internationally-bound mail is still within the geographic boundaries of the USA, the fact that it is being mailed to a non-USA address can make the treaty apply, so that USPS services are curtailed or reduced according to the treaty.

The complexities of international postal treaties are compounded by substantive law. For example, if you and I were to conspsire so that if I was to rob a bank here in the USA, and with your knowledge and consent, mail the stolen money to you in London, you and I would be subject to the ciminal laws of our own countries, of each other's countries, plus an entire body of criminal law that is intended to prohibit the use of international mails for criminal purposes. Moreover, the criminal law enforcers (Scotland Yard and the US Postal Inspection Service) would work together, partly because of cooperation, and partly because of legalities.

But - In addition to all of this, I'll point to the obvious: You're attempting to tracking a parcel using a USPS web-based tracking system that was intended for domestic use in the USA. As you mentioned, the drop down boxes are targeted at obtaining information about the state and zip code for delivery, and you don't have either a state or zip. So, if you're frustrated, it might be because you are attempting to do something that can't be done, rather than anything that the U.S. Postal Service has failed to do properly.

Your nation's enactment of the Postal Services Act of 2011 changed the organizational structure of the Royal Mail, including international service, and while I intend no sarcasm, I wondered if you've checked either with the Royal Mail or the Universal Postal Union (an agency of the UN).

The bottom line is that it's just way too easy to point the finger and blame the U.S. Postal Service.

9. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing.

Stratman i can guaratee one piece of information you will recieve once it arrives on our shores..your package is being held awaiting payment of import tax:mad:.happens to me all the time,good luck with the parcel.

10. Rogue Bohemian

Since tax subsidies were mentioned, I'm curious as to the differences in the amounts of our taxes used for our USPS and the import taxes ya'll pay.

I'm confident that ya'll are paying more, but I'd like to know the numbers.

I think it would be interesting to see our systems compared.

11. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing.

I dont know the numbers but my last item i got from the states,was,900 dollars,at about this time last year,that worked out at,
    Customs value..£572.66p
    VAT value..£590.88p..
    For it to be released from our nice customs people i had to pay on top.
    Tax code A00/D..£18.32p
    Tax code B00/D..£118.19p

Or they will send it back and charge you again for postage,sometimes though some slip through.Ha Ha

12. Rogue Bohemian

That's like the old highway robberies. Legal pickpocketing.

At least they hide that from us.:D

13. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

VAT is 20%. Including import duties or whatever they call them, I'm assuming I'll pay 23% in total.

14. Rogue Bohemian

Based on that, I doubt that we're getting our pockets picked to that tune.

I'd still like to know our numbers. I know, I'll put the guru on it.

He's going to check it out.

15. stratman323

Well you're veering into politics here, which is always dubious, but it's no more a question of "picking our pockets" than any other form of taxation is. Because of the politician's obsession with keeping the basic rate of income tax down, more and more of the tax burden these days is loaded onto VAT (which was 15% for years), alcohol duty, petrol duty etc. etc.

VAT is a European Union wide tax, each government merely sets it's own rate. Since we pay VAT on most every-day items (with a few exceptions, like food), it doesn't seem unreasonable to have to pay it on goods we choose to import from abroad - which will often be luxury items. Like guitars, for example. I can see no logical objection to that.

I've never fully understood how the US deals with this. Some states seem to have a local sales tax - I know California does - but others don't. And I believe that the US government does levy some import taxes/duties on it's citizens, but it seems to be quite lax about actually implementing them. Lots of local customs offices just don't seem to bother, from what I've heard. But Chicago O'Hare airport is the keenest, & seems to levy charges more consistently than anywhere else. UK Customs seems to be very efficient, & I have never heard of anything slipping into the country without passing through their hands, though I'm sure some stuff must do.

All of which is completely off-topic & nothing to do with my original query. But that was answered some time ago, so the thread should really have died a while back.

RB - if you want to find out who pays high taxes, just check out petrol prices. Find out what we pay, compare it with what you pay.....and rejoice.

16. Rogue Bohemian

I was trying to tip toe around it.

We have it better in a lot of ways. Most of our products are taxed here too. We even pay tax on food. The gas thing has a lot of variables. We have our own even though we import.

I do believe that ya'll are too heavily taxed. That VAT stuff is out of hand.

The receipt that I printed after an order today has written near the bottom: "Please note: This is not a VAT invoice." That's a relief.:D

17. stratman323

The money has to come from somewhere. Who else could have bailed out the bankers apart from us taxpayers?

18. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I won an Ebay auction for a set of pickups back on November 22. The seller put them in the USPS first class mail in Hamlin TX, and the tracking info shows they haven't moved for the past 7 days.

Can someone check to see if Hamlin, TX is still on the map?

19. Rogue Bohemian

They only have one employee and it's their week off for vacation. They get three weeks, but the Postmaster General makes them take one week at a time and they all have to be during different quarters.

You didn't see a sign that says "Gone Fishin" hanging up anywhere?