Ultra light strings on an acoustic?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Roca81, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

Anybody use 10's on a thin line acoustic? 20211110_201052.jpg

2. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

I normally go 12s on acoustic. My stepfather's old guitar (a 70s Madiera) has 8s on it--it's a fragile guitar and not in great shape. Decades of being strung with 13s, high summer humidity (with no AC) caused severe belly bulge. Still sorta playable, with 8s.

Heavier strings are louder on an acoustic. It's not always a huge difference. Note that you can tune your E down to a B to hear & feel what lighter strings would feel & sound like. Or tune your B up to an E to know how heavier strings would be. A real-time comparison of two different strings tuned to the same note is the best way to really understand the differences.

3. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

tried it once for about 5 minutes

Caddy likes this.
  4. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

I use 10-47's on mine (Taylor & Breedlove) and they sound great and like the way they play.

I just decided one day to try 10's and for me they worked.

5. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

It depends on the guitar. Those top braced for 12s or 13s are best strung with those gauges. With 10s, the top will not vibrate to its potential.

I do not know what that thin line was originally equipped with or designed for. My guess would be on the lighter side.

Stratoskater and Phiu-x like this.
  6. msbrech

msbrech Strat-Talk Member

My mother always used Martin light gauge strings on her Martin D18. So I did as well on the Martin 00-18 I used to have.

Now I have a Yamaha F335. I've had it for a few years now, but have yet to change the strings (it sat unplayed in it's case for a couple of years while I worked on getting my head sorted out). I've started practicing with it more in the last year, alternating between it and my Squier. But I have a set of D'Addarios I'm going to try out on it when I get around to the string change.

I did have a friend in college who strung his Yamaha acoustic with electric guitar strings. Not sure which brand. But he said he liked the action on them. Although for a while I think I played it more than he did. And I can't say I noticed a huge difference between it and my Martin strings. Maybe he used 11s.

StratoMutt and Roca81 like this.
  7. PonyB

PonyB Senior Stratmaster

My new Waterloo acoustic comes with a note to use no heavier than 11s as it is very lightly built.
    I didn't think they would produce enough sound, but they're great.

StratoMutt likes this.
  8. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Caddy, Roca81, msbrech and 1 other person like this.
  9. msbrech

msbrech Strat-Talk Member

StratoMutt likes this.
  10. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Been playing out and recording a bunch on acoustic lately.

I used to play 12's when I was younger.

I've been using these extra light Martin, 10-47 Phosphor/Bronze on my new Martin Road Series Grand Performer. Nobody ever asks me if I use light strings, and the recordings sound brilliant.

I like my acoustic to feel close to my electrics nowadays, and while my hands are still very strong, it's the ligaments and tendons holding my fretting hand together after 45-46 years of playing that thank me. So far so good, but I'm getting old and I want to keep playing as long as I can.

I would use heavier strings if I felt I could, because to me they sound a little better, especially for that Martin sound.

But nobody else seems to notice and these sound great. And these Martin strings are relatively dirt cheap, last a long time too.

Martin Strings.jpeg

StratoMutt likes this.
  11. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

I did slap a set of 10's on my old 6 string EKO Ranger.. only because I didn't have a set of 12's though. The guitar has a lovely mellow tone but its quiet.. the 10's make it even quieter.. will have to put my hand in my pocket and buy a set of Acoustic 12's..

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

12-53 on 00, 000, OM and GA bodies, 13-56 on dreads.

StratoMutt likes this.
  13. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I use regular 9.5-46 electric strings on my acoustic.

fattboyzz and Groovey like this.
  14. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Senior Stratmaster

I got a beat up Martin acoustic that a guy used for years busking all over Europe, super cool guitar with a whole lotta mojo, but not much of the frets is left, so I started experimenting- ended up putting on Martin 10s and Never looked back :)

15. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

Mine came with 12's but I do like the idea of quieter with the lighter strings. My wife has chronic migraines. Plus I have had carpal tunnel release surgery on 20211110_201052.jpg both hands now. I think I will give them a try thanks!!!

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  16. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

With lighter gauge you won't need to adjust the truss rod as frequently

Roca81 likes this.
  17. wblynch

wblynch Strat-Talk Member

I tried a set of 9-42 electric strings on my old Yamaha a couple of years ago. They felt like rubber bands and didn’t sound all that good. But now that I have gone down to 9’s from 10’s/11’s on my electrics I do think I’ll try 10-46 on the acoustic. But proper acoustic strings this time.

18. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

11s on acoustic. Good balance of easy play and still has the right feel/tension. 10s would certainly work. And the difference would be nearly nothing if you’re playing plugged in.

I tried electric 9s once, on an acoustic. It was not good.

19. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

I have 10s on this. Sounds fine. Still booms. Guild d25 mahogany and BoStrap by @Bodean I’ve become so accustomed to playing electric I don’t want to work as hard at the acoustic.

B781776C-486E-4323-9486-509253348ADD.png

Roca81, duzie and Bob the builder like this.
  20. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Might need to tweak the bridge. I got a lot of rattle on mine with 10's vs. the original 12's. But, I'm heading back that way soon as it's suffering from belly bulge. After humidification is done, I'm treating it more lightly.