Ultra Luxe Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by abown, Apr 20, 2021.

1. abown

abown Strat-Talk Member

Hi from Australia, everyone

Has anyone tried an American Ultra Luxe strat yet? I ordered one today after returning an American Pro II Dark Knight with a rosewood fretboard.

The Pro II was nice but didn’t seem like a huge upgrade on my Player Strat, which was a shame, as I’ve wanted a US strat since I was a kid. It had a few marks on the high-E side of the fretboard, which I wasn’t happy with, so I sent it back. As I play (badly) with a vice-like grip, I decided to replace it with an Ultra Luxe, due to the stainless steel frets. I am not a massive fan of the black headstock on the maple neck of the 2-colour sunburst but the store does a free PLEK and set-up, and I figure my frets should be good for life after that. My Player strat is about 9 months old and I’ve already put dents in several frets so thought stainless steel was the way to go.

Anyway, I can’t find any reviews online to keep me quiet while I wait for the strat to arrive so wondered if anyone here had tried one.Failing that, has anyone come across any reviews?

Cheers

Andy

3bolt79 and s5tuart like this.
  2. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-O-Master

I don't think they are out yet and if they are, they are on backorder. There are other options out there if you are willing to go with another brand. Stuff like ibanez and g&l option order come to mind

3. abown

abown Strat-Talk Member

Hi

They are definitely out. A few other stores in Australia have one or two. They are scarce, which is one of the reasons I ordered it when I did.

Cheers

Andy

RandyRoot likes this.
  4. Jimi Beckton

Jimi Beckton Strat-Talker

What's the 'luxe' part about? Do they have an 'Ulra' series and a 'Ultra Luxe' series?

5. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have the American Strat Ultra. It is very close to perfect. The biggest difference between it and the Ultra Luxe is the SS frets. My Ultra appears to have the "gold" frets that are harder than standard nickel. I have only had it since January so it is too soon to tell how they will wear. The neck is incredible.

One this to consider is a new neck for your Player. I have a roasted maple neck with SS on order from Warmoth for my everyday strat. It will almost be a Luxe. ;)

RandyRoot likes this.
  6. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Quick question - can you PLEK a SS fret guitar the same as nickel? I'm guessing yes but maybe with different "cutters" or whatever you call the attachments. Signed - Curious before my coffee.

7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘while stainless steel frets last a long time, a lot longer than nickel silver, they do wear out eventually. I had an EVH that I played for 5 years constantly, and I did get divots in the frets. And of course the frets were vintage size, so no chance of a level and crown. Don’t kid yourself. Stainless doesn’t last forever, just longer.

EC Strat likes this.
  8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

They are additional models that were introduced in January. As mentioned by a few others I'm not sure if they are in stores yet or are waiting to be shipped. It doesn't appear that Fender considers them an additional line; they consider them additional models to the American Ultra line.

At any rate the changes are the SS frets, they are reserving the ash bodies for these models, and the neck is supposed to be a slightly thicker shape they are calling an "Augmented D" - I haven't seen the Fender "factory specs" yet from the descriptions it sounds like it is slightly fatter than the "regular" American Ultra's "Modern D" shape - probably like comparing the American Pro II's "Deep C" to the American Performer's "Modern C".

The HSS model comes with a Floyd Rose (OFR) trem (the SSS is the same trem as the "regular" Ultras), and they also have an HH Tele with the OFR in addition to the SS Tele.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  9. Jimi Beckton

The neck is thicker? I think it is too thick already. I've been thinking about buying a 'V' neck and swapping.

10. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

As I say no specs yet on the Ultra Luxe neck. The American Ultra neck is the same depth as the Modern C but with the D shape - its spec is .820" at the first and .870" at the 12th. By contrast the American Professional's "Deep C" is .820 at the first and .920" at the 12th and it would surprise me if this "Augmented D" would be much different from that depth spec.

Of course they can vary quite a bit; what neck shapes are you used to?

11. Jimi Beckton

I just got back into playing a month ago and bought the Ultra Strat as a 'welcome back ' gift to myself. I would Like it smaller than it is.
    Is there something in between the 'D' and 'V'. I am fond of the neck on the SG Standard I bought Sunday.

12. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talker

I was looking At an Ultra Luxe today. The D neck is a no go for me.

smithstrato and Jimi Beckton like this.
  13. abown

abown Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, I realise that nothing lasts for ever but I would imagine they’ll last as long as I do, and certainly far longer than nickel frets.

14. abown

abown Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for your replies everyone

I’ll have the guitar sometime next week and can return it for a full refund if I don’t like it. It looks like nobody here has actually played one yet or seen a review. I guess that is due to the small number that Fender has shipped out. The store I ordered from had one, which I have ordered, and have one with a rosewood fretboard coming in in a couple of weeks. Fender probably didn’t have enough to ship out to all the YouTubers who usually review their new guitars. Who knows?

Henry2 likes this.
  15. abown

abown Strat-Talk Member

Yes, you can PLEK stainless steel frets. Thomann offer a stainless steel refret plus PLEK package but they are on the other side of the world from me. Cheers.

ido1957 likes this.
  16. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

Be sure to post back with lots of photos and opinions of what, hopefully, will be an awesome guitar for you.

fos1, edhalen and FireFunkRevival like this.
  17. abown

abown Strat-Talk Member

Will do. Cheers!

FireFunkRevival likes this.
  18. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I wore out my vintage small frets on my Clapton in 3 years. Refretted with SS and man what an upgrade!

abown and ido1957 like this.
  19. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I was looking at the Luxe today on fenders website and was thinking man what a super nice guitar until I got to the horrid headstock. If you can get past that, I bet it’s a killer axe

gotta say though, the Am pro midnight is a great guitar. Far better than the player imo not crazy about the pickups but that’s an easy fix

ido1957 likes this.
  20. RickySchmidlin

RickySchmidlin Strat-Talk Member