Uncompleted pedalboard recommendations

mad axe man

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 23, 2016
ontario canada
Xotic EP booster are great and sound even better at 18vdc also a boss sd-1 is a great addition (1980s if you can find one) enjoy your tone search

Roach769

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 8, 2021
NC
Polytune 3 not the mini one. get the full size, or get a petersen or a sonic research. Those will be your forever staple and you will use them more than any other pedal, so buy quality.

Strymon Mobius for flavours of chorus, flanging, phaser, vibe, rotary, trem, autoswell, bitcrusher - it's basically one with the lot and every sound in it will get you pretty close to where you want straight off the bat. It's also saving you a tone of realestate on your pedalboard. requires about 300mA of 9vdc to punch it along if you have an isolated supply rail.

JHS @+ for a "slayin OD" or a Bonsai if you want tubescreamer flavours, I have both, and They have slowly found themselves to be rather 'fixed' in my signal chain - which is to say, I'm no JHS fanboy - quite the opposite actually, but I have found the pedals to be absolutely indispensable for those iconic sounds. My fave setting on the bonsai happens to be the keeley mod - so you could buy a TS and get robert keeley to mod it....

Booster - hmmm tough call. Really depends. I use a Hudson broadcast at 18v and on the low gain side so I can get boost and some bottom end shelving, along with some grit if it is desired. I also have a Da Treble Booster, but I wouldn't expect anyone to go and shell out for a vintage TB, when there are plenty of other good FET boosters out there (some are getting pricey though).

Compressor - Cali76. It's not cheap, but it's fantastic. Empress also for superfast or Greer Lamplighter if you want an optical one. If you're going for that 70's tone, then you need a dynacomp or a Ross. I prefer more studio-like urei 1176 style.

I would suggest you simply go try stuff. You might find that any of the suggestions those here have made may simply not be to your personal taste.

Pedals are an individual thing, you need to find what works for you - but by all means take the suggestions people have made in this thread and see where it leads you.

Yeah, I have been working through these suggestions. I believe I know how I want it to turn out now.Thanks for the advice

Xotic EP booster are great and sound even better at 18vdc also a boss sd-1 is a great addition (1980s if you can find one) enjoy your tone search

Yeah, I have tried the EP booster. It may be an option in the future. Thanks

Voxman

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2020
USA
For tuner I use Korg Pitchblack. True bypass and also power output for another pedal.

For od, check out the Nobels ODR-1, geat on it's own, and stacking too. It isn't mid humped, and doesn't cut off all the bass, and it does have a bass cut if you want it.
And it isn't expensive

For a modulation , I recommend a Walrus Julia. Obviously does chorus and quite well, but also vibrato and some flanging too.

LilybugPapa

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 18, 2020
Brooklyn,NY
I’m partial to tc electronics polytune mini. the real secret to a “good” pedal board setup is isolated power. Everything matters because everything that’s in your signal chain has a say in your tone. That being said IMO isolated power is the most important.

Attachments

• F17E2C5D-0CBE-4631-AE81-E57EE616D306.jpeg
    F17E2C5D-0CBE-4631-AE81-E57EE616D306.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 5

Matopotato

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 11, 2021
Sweden
I use TCE polytune noir always on in strobe mode. Small footprint (you're gonna want more space sooner than you think...)
I had Strobo Stomp but big footprint made me return it and I opted for a StorboClip f Peterson instead (bass and acoustic and generally available)
TCE Polytune in poly mode (all strings) is less accurate imho than its strobe but lets me know when i am off and where to start.

For flanger chorus etc, i prefer dedicated pedals to stack instead of multi pedals, but exh have one with 11 modes if you like that. I have TCE Corona, Boss BF-3 and that works for me.

Overdrive is a tough area. What I came to like are the less brutal ones. I have OCD which is good but quite a bit character. But Golden Horse f Decibelics and ThorpyFX Peacekeeper provide me that more subtle grit I like most. They stack really well with other dirt as well.
I play LP and Strat through a DSL40CR.

jackietreehorn

Strat-Talker
Jun 17, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I think you need to do some research, because it sounds like you have no idea what you want.

1. For the tuner, I recommend you decide if you want a full size or a mini tuner then decide how much you want to spend. If you want full size and want to keep it cheap get a used Boss TU2, mid range a TU3 pricey the Turbo Tuner. Mini on the expensive side (for a tuner) are those polytunes, and cheap are the overseas ones on Amazon. I've personally found all pedal tuners to be pretty good. I like Boss because they're durable and last and if they were good enough for every pro in the 80s and 90s they're good enough for me.

Your other questions are all personal preferences and you don't give enough info about what you're looking for me to give a recommendation.

I recommend you listen to you tube videos. Buy used. Try it out. See if you like it and if you don't sell it. Usually you don't lose much flipping used pedals if anything. Then you'll get an idea of what you like.

lazloryder

Strat-Talker
Dec 6, 2011
Los Angeles CA
The eternal quest for tone!! I've definitely swapped through quite a few pedals in my time trying to dial in that "perfect" rig. The pleasure is definitely in the journey!

Here's what I currently have on my rig and I find that I can cover just about every genre. Play in cover bands that play everything (except extreme metal). The pedals are listed in the order I have them on my chain.

POWER SUPPLY MXR DC Brick. Quiet, reliable, CHEAP!

TC Helicon Talk Box: Not a must, but once in a while I need a talk box and it also has a reverb effect for your vocals.

Dunlop Mini Wah - same sound as the full wah, saves space.

KORG Pitchblack tuner - can't recommend this enough if you're looking for a pedal tuner. Quiet, Reliable, small, and has a power out so you are not losing a power output just for the tuner.

MXR Studio Compressor - Also have and recommend Keeley compressor, and MXR Dyna Comp. The Dyna Comp does color your sound though, but in a good way that is the signature sound people are looking for when they use this pedal.

BOSS AC3 Acoustic Simulator - A must for a quick switch to an acoustic sound. BUT you must commit to use the Line out to the PA. The output to the guitar amp does not sound good. Like plugging in an acoustic guitar into a electric guitar amp, obviously gonna sound ****ty. Use the Line out to PA only.

BB PreAmp OD - Great pedal for clean boost and overdrive. My favorite OD pedal to date, and I've tried quite a few.

ProCo lil RAT - Recently got this pedal and it's the first time using a RAT. Man I have been missing out all these years. Classic Distortion and FUZZ. And so small!

(If you have an FX Loop the following would go through FX Loop)

BOSS CE-2 Chorus - Classic timeless chorus.

MXR Mini Phase - Has both Phase 90 and 45 settings. Plus the script versions too. Very versatile.

MXR Univibe - Not the best UniVibe out there, but for the price and the space saving size, it does the trick.

BOSS DD3 Delay - Classic digital Delay.

My amp also has built in REVERB and TREMOLO so don't need pedals for these. I always have at least a little bit of Tremolo on. And sometimes a lot (How Soon is Now).

Strangher11

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 6, 2014
carlsbad ca
I loved the way my Keeley compressor opens up the presence, old school Blues Driver, a quality tuner, phase and whatever else you want to toss in the mix. I use a SKB pedalboard ...

4pickupguy

Strat-O-Master
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
TC Polytune Mini. EP-Boost. You mentioned blues/rock, I like rotary mod like the Big Spender works great for that. Can get you close to faux keys if you use right.

Roach769

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 8, 2021
NC
Thank you all for your recommendations and for sharing your boards/ideas.

I can't reply to all of you without taking an hour to do so. But, thanks to all of the advice here I know exactly how I want my board now after some more shopping, reading, and youtube etc etc.

Appreciate everyone's input. I am good to go now.

Dain Bramage

Strat-Talker
Jan 12, 2012
Earth
Tuner, T.C. Electronics Polytune, the original, Love it for a quick accurate tune-up, sometimes on the fly once you get used to it. Booster, clean Seymour Duncan Pickup booster, Fulltone Robin Trower Drive (esp for single coils) or possibly a TS-808, either run minimum gain or swap out the RC4558 with a 5532 or Burr-Brown 2134 or 2234 (the op-amp is the noisiest component in 95% of the pedals out there, but when you put in a higher-grade much faster skew rate chip the hiss goes down but the coloration of the natural distortion of that particular design gets more "transparent", but if you socket the chip you can swap around and experiment but be warned; it is addictive). Comps are noisy, especially for single coils. Boost with comp. boosted noise or at least always nearly on the brink. An excellent gate like the original Detonator or, for very light noise a good old "Hush". Lots of good advice on here, but mine would be, "When the expense starts going way up, rack it and get it over with".

Matopotato

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 11, 2021
Sweden
Thank you all for your recommendations and for sharing your boards/ideas.

I can't reply to all of you without taking an hour to do so. But, thanks to all of the advice here I know exactly how I want my board now after some more shopping, reading, and youtube etc etc.

Appreciate everyone's input. I am good to go now.
What did you end up deciding for?

FireFunkRevival

Strat-O-Master
Feb 17, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have been using a few pedals for the last couple of years. Just got around to buying a pedal train classic jr and I would like to start completing it. I would love to hear some recommendations. I play Blues, blues rock, R&B, Hardrock/metal. No Jazz or pop. Delay is always on. Amp has built-in reverb.

I would like to find a couple of things to round out my sound. I would be open to a larger power supply if needed. But, I feel that if I move the looper off the supply and just connect when I want to use it that I could have an extra slot to find what I want easily.

I do plan on buying a MC404 Wah to put a battery in, but outside of that I feel that I need a few things;

1. A tuner recommendation is my greatest need, I think. I have been using my phone for the better part of a decade to tune. It will take a spot on the power supply unless it is relatively low current.

2. An overdrive for a super Saiyan lead tone. I noticed that I am not really using the fuzz to its full potential. I appear to use it as a lead boost with the Sparkle Mod. I would like to use it as a fuzz so I think another overdrive would be a good idea. The sparkle drive stays in the lead mod. So, I think getting an OD that is a better lead tone is a good idea to stop using the fuzz like that. Then I could take advantage of the versatility of the Sparkle Drive Mod and convert it to a dirty rhythm signal.

3. Chorus/Flanger or something else. Not really sure what I would prefer here as I am not huge on either but for songs like purple rain would be necessary. Open to suggestions here.

4. Xotic EP booster vs SP comp? Heard a lot of things about these two.

Any suggestions or insight would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Setup is currently this into a DV Mark Daw Dawg 60 x Orange PPC212Blk with Strats/Vintage Vs6:
6JObxnD.jpg

I would get a snow white autowah and a wah pedal.

Roach769

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 8, 2021
NC
What did you end up deciding for?

StroboStomp HD-9Volt on ISO5
CAE MC404-9Volt Battery.
BB Andy Timmons PreAmp-9Volt on ISO5
Walrus Eras Distortion-9Volt on ISO5
Black Arts ToneWorks Pharaoh-9Volt on ISO5
MXR Carbon Copy-12Volt on ISO5
MJM Guitar FX Sixties Vibe-18Volt on ISO5

Jam Man Looper-Wall adapter
Sparkle Drive Mod-In reserve

This resolves all wants/needs and I do not have to buy another power supply unless I want to bring the sparkle drive mod back into the circuit..which is probably going to happen in the future.

Matopotato

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 11, 2021
Sweden
StroboStomp HD-9Volt on ISO5
CAE MC404-9Volt Battery.
BB Andy Timmons PreAmp-9Volt on ISO5
Walrus Eras Distortion-9Volt on ISO5
Black Arts ToneWorks Pharaoh-9Volt on ISO5
MXR Carbon Copy-12Volt on ISO5
MJM Guitar FX Sixties Vibe-18Volt on ISO5

Jam Man Looper-Wall adapter
Sparkle Drive Mod-In reserve

This resolves all wants/needs and I do not have to buy another power supply unless I want to bring the sparkle drive mod back into the circuit..which is probably going to happen in the future.
Nice! Sounds like you have plenty of fun ahead :thumb:
I use TrueTone CS12s and a CS6 and after some char with Dana at their support I learned that as long as I don't pass the total, I can exceed the jacks a bit. 2 or 3 times, so a few of their own splitter cables let me add the pedals I have. A bit of excel sheet exercising helps :)
Enjoy!