Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Under the neck plates of pre-CBS Strats

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by dueducs, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Hi All,
    I recall seeing this pattern on several pre-CBS Strats under the neck plate (image stolen from @Tyger). Can someone tell me how or why this pattern is formed? Is this a common pattern formation or just an anomaly?

[​IMG]

2. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    If I had to venture a guess, I would say that is where the screws caused the most pressure.
    Or oxidation from the screws themselves. Not sure if those were stainless back then.

dueducs and AvaCaster like this.
  3. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    Yep, the plate is pulled harder against the wood at the four screw points, causing this diamond effect.

Particularly noticeable when the lacquer has not fully hardened (which is generally the case when these are first assembled)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. sheldon1959

sheldon1959 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Glasgow
    Bazz Jass is right.

Attached Files:

dueducs likes this.
  6. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    I tend to agree with this theory, sounds reasonable and makes lot of sense.

7. So, by this hypothesis (which does seem feasible), we should also see more modern guitars finished in nitro have the same pattern. Do we see that?

I also wonder, due to the uniformity of the pattern if torque wrenches were being used for the neck screws. Thoughts???

8. henderman

henderman Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Popeye must have tightened the neck plate on the used Tele I bought, the corners of the plate are inside the body.

If you see the plate distorting and the screwdriver bending you should have stopped a half a turn or more ago.

9. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Yeah when you start to strip the grooves on the Philips head screws, I think it's time to stop turning it.:D

10. henderman

henderman Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Just imagine how deep they would drive them if the screw head slots did not strip first!

Wayne D. likes this.
  11. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    From Ebay just now:

2006 Fender USA 57 Vintage Reissue Stratocaster Nitro Ash Body

[​IMG]

dueducs and jofish like this.
  12. jaybones

jaybones Senior Stratmaster

I don't think you'd want to measure the force needed on the neck screws in foot pounds.

More likely to use a torque screwdriver that measures inch pounds.

And even if you'd control the force, you'd still have the phenomenon of the screws on the corners of the rectangle pulling more, so the plate would still deform and you'd see the diamond pattern.

dueducs likes this.
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Every piece of wood is different, so torquing to a spec would be inconsistent at best. Sometimes it would be too much, other not enough.

dueducs likes this.
  14. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    This is pretty clear...

ProSonicLive likes this.
  15. ProSonicLive

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    My !995 MIA Standard has a very similar pattern. however, It is poly, (exceptionally thick poly) The process was different, but the outcome can still be seen.
    Thanks BTW, I needed motivation to change her strings and clean her up a bit.

bonedust and dueducs like this.
  16. ProSonicLive

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    My !995 MIA Standard has a very similar pattern. however, It is poly, (exceptionally thick poly) The process was different, but the outcome can still be seen.
    Thanks BTW, I needed motivation to change her strings and clean her up a bit.
    IMG_20170320_222558.jpg

dueducs likes this.
  17. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    I've always thought it was from the grease they used on the screws.