Uneven bridge plate screws?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by difter, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The world over, there are guitar shops and shops that sell guitars. The longer you've been around, the easier it is to spot the difference.

2. difter

difter Strat-Talk Member

It's a huge online music store. I paid for one at a local music store but they couldn't get Fender to send them one in less than a few months so I got a refund and ordered it online.
    The rest of the guitar is ok-ish. I love the feeling of the neck, the tuners seem high quality, the relic job is good, pickups sound great, the pau ferro board is darker than you expect on most, the components seem to be high quality. The neck seems to be quater sawn which I am surprised about, the guitar is extremly light, we are talking 6.6lbs.

The bad stuff? Edges of the nut are really really sharp. I still need to fix that.
    Fret edges were sharp too, I spent an hour yesterday fixing them.

As far as string height, intonation and relief go, they were set up good but since the bridge was set up so badly it all changed when I properly adjusted the bridge. The strings are now too old to properly adjust the intonation even tho they were just put on. They also nicely cut the nut to acompany a higher gauge of strings which makes me really confused. Cutting the nut is one of the hardest parts of setting up the guitar and they did that perfectly. But setting up the bridge which every amauter with a screwdriver can do they somehow messed up so badly it's not even funny.

This is what they were supposed to check, this is a direct copy from my email with them.

This setup includes:
    - Technical and optical inspection
    - Put on Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky
    - String height adjustment
    - Adjusting the Vintage Tremolo
    - Adjusting the neck curvature
    - Adjusting the octave purity
    - Checking and machining the frets

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  3. difter

difter Strat-Talk Member

Just went to grab an Allen wrench from the bag that Fender usually sends with their guitars because I was too lazy to go downstairs and grab my own. Looks like they forgot to put that bag of goodies back in as well. Including the tremolo arm. I will be having a serious talk with the store on Monday. If I didn't instantly bond with the guitar when I got it I would be packing it up to send it back right now. I might do that anyway if they can't do good on all the problems that are happening around this purchurase.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  4. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

They cut the nut or was it stock fender?

Fret sprout is common. But you do that usually once. But you paid for a complete setup so yeah, hope you get the refund.

5. difter

difter Strat-Talk Member

The guitar came with 9s, I wanted 10s so they had to slightly widen the nut. It's possible that they just didn't need to do anything but in my experience with strats you usally have to widen the slots a tiny bit when going up a gauge.

It wasn't really fret sprout. They just felt sharp when playing with the thumb over the neck. But I was expecting that, it's pretty much the same on every Mexican guitar. I just mention that because if they really cared they could have fixed it.

Fenderbaum likes this.
  6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

@difter

It would be nice to know what the name is of this "huge online music store" so the rest of us can either avoid them or be aware of their practices! While I realize that airing grievances here concerning small, private shops may not be appropriate, large corporate vendors who charge for services, goods, etc. that are not properly provided of are definitely fair game for being exposed! On the other hand, I rarely depend on or even allow anyone else to do any work on my guitars!

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less!
    Gene

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Chances are that it's the other side of the Atlantic to you.

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I get that my friend, but some of the bigger vendors are international/global in nature.The only thing keeping them honest and in check is feedback from customers!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

9. difter

difter Strat-Talk Member

I have sent them an email with all the detail and asked for a refund of the setup fee that I have paid. If they give me a refund on that, at least a partian one I will keep the name hidden. You never know when someone had a bad day or is new to a job. That shouldn't reflect on the whole company. If they refuse to give me a refund or don't send me the bag with Fender goodies that are supposed to come with the guitar then I will certantly post the name of the store.

10. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Unfortunately, that's what we get in modern society.
    We used to have mom & pop music stores who would spend the time to do a proper setup on everything on the wall... and it was set up properly by an experienced employee... We didn't call them "techs", but they weren't "luthiers"... they were just "the guy" and he knew what he was doing, as did most of the salesmen, because most were also playing at clubs on weekends.

Mail-order and the big chains took over, and wages didn't keep up with the cost of living, so now you have people selling who are barely qualified to work at McDonald's, and the "tech" is barely trained, and so much work shoved on him that he can't do a quality job on every instrument even if he knew how.

I'm convinced that 28 points of the "55 point inspection" is making sure that the frets and strings are present.

There are still a few good mom & pop stores around. Sadly, they can't be price-competitive with the big chains and Amazon, so people spend time in the stores, and make their purchases elsewhere... then cry when these shops close up.

rockon1 and Black59 like this.
  11. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

I was "That Guy" in 1998-1999. I worked at a (sort of) mom & pop instrument store. It was my first ever job. I was 16 or 17 and i learned my first step of setting up a guitar. And i learned a lot too. So i know how it was.
    We dressed frets and adjusted tuss rods. And we changed nuts (even though we had NO idea how important and how much work a nut needed as we used pre slotted). I don´t even think we owned a straight-edge or a fret rocker (did they exist then?). Maybe, i dont know.
    We actually were neither techs or luthiers as you say, but we had the tools and we did our best. Funny enough, we got no complaints on the work we did to customers guitars both used and new.
    I have much more knowledge today and damn do i wish i could be at that bench again.. But those are old times long gone.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Jyates and CB91710 like this.
  12. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talk Member

This. I took the extra $75 hit to support my local shop over Amazon on my last strat, but it's well worth it

And OP, I've been following this for the last couple days. This is pretty rough, hope you get it all sorted out

CB91710 likes this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I learned to be that guy a long time ago. :D

Thrup'ny Bit and CB91710 like this.
  14. kingmlg

kingmlg New Member!

Is that is a brand new guitar? Looks like the screw heads are gouged a little from using the wrong size screw tip. I haven't seen that on a new fender. I'm sure they will gladly return your money for the setup. Just send them a picture and mention that you would hate to give them a bad review.

15. difter

difter Strat-Talk Member

Okay, I got my setup money returned and got a discount on the guitar as well. They sent me the missing bits as well.

Judging by other posts about these it seems like I got lucky with mine. I don't have nearly as many problems as some of you have with this series. It's a shame.

16. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

The intonation is not going to change by tightening the screws.

CB91710 likes this.