Uneven volume with SD mini humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by RaistMagus, Nov 23, 2021.

1. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Strat-Talker

Hi guys, I installed a little 59 at the neck of my strat. When I bend a string, as it moves over the pickup poles, I get a very significant drop in output. Have you noticed the same? Are all mini humbuckers like that? I haven't had this problem with other pickups in the past (real single coils, full-sized humbuckers, Jazzmaster pickups, TV Jones, etc).

I made this video to better show what I mean:

The_Whale likes this.
  2. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

The magnetic field isn't only directly above the poles. It covers the entire top of the pickup so the poles should make no difference. It's not as if you're going into and out of the magnetic field. It's a large, continuous field so no matter where the string is over the pickup, it will product sound.

The fact that you're moving it away from the pole it rests over makes no difference. As I said, the magnetic field isn't 1mm wide, directly over the pole. It covers the entire width of the pickup so moving the string won't matter in regards to that. It will produce sound/voltage no matter where the string is over the pole.

I have no explanation as to why it's getting lower. All I can say is it has nothing to do with moving away from the pole it normally rests over. Since the magnetic field is continuous over the width of the pickup, it doesn't matter where the string is when it's vibrating. It will still produce a note. Why it's getting lower in volume, I have no idea.

Are you 100% sure it doesn't sound this way with other pickups?

Caddy likes this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

ZERO changes in volume when bending the string, if there's any variance it's how hard you're picking....this is an example of worrying about a problem that doesn't exist....that is only in your mind.....

Caddy likes this.
  4. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

I heard the drop in volume. Not your imagination... I haven't experienced that with other mini-hums. Call Seymour Duncan... see what they can tell you.

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I meant it when I said no changes in volume, here it is in waveform, not even 3-4 dB of difference....this is in my DAW @stormin1155 @RaistMagus

Screenshot_52.png

6. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker

I'd try flipping the pickup 180 degrees, or swapping it with the middle pickup.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  7. Seanf2

Seanf2 Strat-Talk Member

I think some pickups have more output with the string directly over the pole. Lindy fralin website, shopping for humbuckers has link that discusses pole spacing specs and how to measure what spacing you need for your guitar.

I don't know anything about Mini humbuckers.

My suggestion would be to try angling the pickup differently to mitigate (raise the pickup on the side that your bending towards). That should help. If you can't raise it without risking strat itis, then lower the other side (achieves same result)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  8. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Sounds to me like you're just picking harder when it's not bent or perhaps there's less string vibration from the higher tension of being bent, resulting in less pickup output. See if you can focus on the same picking dynamic as you bend and see if the issue goes away.

FWIW, that isn't a mini-humbucker, it's a little humbucker. Mini's actually have a different structure vs. a regular humbucker. That little '59 is just a standard humbucker made on a smaller form factor to fit the Strat layout.

9. Leofender

Leofender Strat-Talker Silver Member

It would help if you would include pictures...