Unexpected G&L Tele Find

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by axejock, Jul 31, 2020 at 5:01 PM.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I took one of my guitars to my friend's music shop this morning for some needed work. When the work was done, he told me he had just taken a trade on something that I might be interested in. He brought "it" out and it was/is a brand new ASAT G&L Telecaster that someone had started to modify but lost interest in. The owner had taken the guitar apart, but the finished body, bridge and bridge pickup assy. was still there as was the original neck with the tuners still on it. It looks like new, and my buddy said I could have it all for $100....SOLD! I've been looking for a new project lately, and this fit my plans almost perfectly at a better price than I could imagine. Oh boy, here we go again!!

CIMG1389.JPG CIMG1390.JPG CIMG1391.JPG CIMG1392.JPG

2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Great find. Congrats!

StummerJoe, Groovey and axejock like this.
  4. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker

Awesome! I just purchased one (uh, two) and think it (them) a really nice guitar(s). Man, I need to get a grip on this GAS. :oops:

StummerJoe and axejock like this.
  5. axejock

I've been GAS free for quite awhile, well sort of GAS free o_O. But there really is no cure....especially when things like this come up!

Groovey and stormsedge like this.
  6. axejock

I've never owned a G&L before, although I have played and liked them! The one item that I need that is different from a Fender Telecaster is the pickguard. I've got lots of Fender Tele parts, but it appears that the pickguard has different mounting holes. Anybody know of a source for this?

7. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker

It is not GAS when dictated by common sense...nice guitar for $100 :thumb:

It looks like there may be some at Pickguard Planet...and, on Amazon and Reverb.

Deafsoundguy and axejock like this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

And with that being a Tribute, the parts may or may not be a perfect match for Fullerton G&L models. Like Fender/Squier, they may be close enough to work.
    But even for a Tribute, $100 for the husk with the bridge and tuners is an awesome score!
    You can buy some parts directly from G&L, including their MFD pickups: https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups
    Looks like they do have some Tribute-specific pickguards available on clearance for the Classic for $20: https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/clearance/products/pickguard-tribute-asat-classic
    Note that they do indicate that the Tribute parts won't fit the US models.
    1-Ply white, 3-ply Tort, 3-ply white, and 3-ply parchment is all they have left. Sold out on black.

9. axejock

I'm curious about how to distinguish between the "Tribute series" (which I assume that's what I have since it says made in Indonesia on the back of the headstock) and the original ASAT Classic? I don't see any reference to the "Tribute" nomenclature on the guitar. Just a curiosity as it will obviously be built as a partscaster.
    And thanks so much for the references to potential suppliers for parts for the guitar. That will certainly help! (Oh, and I'm assuming that Fender Tele pickups and controls will fit this guitar?)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 9:49 PM
  10. CB91710

I don't see why the Fender pickups won't work with the body. Leo changed a few things, but not the size of the regular single coils... just the "Z" and the jumbo.
    Even the ASAT MFD neck is a smaller cover/plate that will drop in to a tele neck.

I didn't see the "Indonesia" but it looks like "Tribute Series" on the headstock ;)
    I would assume the body is from the same source. If the neck holes line up with the holes in the pocket, then it is a G&L body.

StummerJoe and axejock like this.
  11. Bcorig

Bcorig Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I demand pictures when you’re done assembling and finishing it. Or else!

axejock and CB91710 like this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

Either G&L themselves for US models or Pickguardian who seems to have templates for many G&L models or they will make one from your template or your pickguard if you send it to them.

I've learned that for convenience many local techs or builder can produce a custom pickguard for you for about the same cost as either of those options. But no one else carries G&L pickguards.

CB91710 likes this.
  13. axejock

I guess I can attribute my not noticing the word "Tribute" right below the G&L logo on the headstock to old age and poor eyesight! It is very explicit! You saw it correctly!
    I just put the neck back on the body with a neckplate that I had and it fits perfectly. And I ordered one of the G&L pickguards from their website just to be sure that I have a correct pattern if I decide to go with a custom job. The bridge and saddles(very nice bronze saddles x 6) fit perfectly and the control plate fits perfectly (I had one to try). Looks like all I will need is the neck pup, and the controls. The output jack and even the strap buttons are all in place. At this time I am thinking of leaving the body just as it is....clear coated with a beautiful grain pattern showing through. And I think the back of the neck is just sealed and not clear coated, which I may change.

soulman969 and CB91710 like this.
  14. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

I believe it's right under the G&L logo. It should say Tribute Series. And yes, Fender pickups and electronics will work. There's very little difference between any Fender Tele and an ASAT Classic in that regard if any.

CB91710 and axejock like this.
  15. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Strat-O-Master

Killer score!

axejock likes this.
  16. axejock

Now the issue becomes which pick ups to use and how to wire them into the control plate. Any recommendations ?

17. CB91710

I did the Baja wiring on my Partscaster build.
    It's a 4-position switch, normal three, plus both in parallel, then the S-1 switch puts the neck out of phase.
    It does require a separate ground wire for the neck cover (if your neck pickup has a chrome cover).

I was going to DIY, but got lazy and just ordered the 920D Baja set from Sigler and moved it to the engraved control plate.

axejock likes this.
  18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Since there is no neck pickup, I'm thinkin' "Esquire".

axejock likes this.
  19. CB91710

Would be unique, but also need a custom pickguard since the blank ASAT guard isn't available.

axejock likes this.
  20. axejock

I just found some listings for this guitar on MF. It came originally in the natural finish with a tortious pickguard. It is apparently still available @ $500, but the reviews are mixed, some great and some horrible. The negatives seem to focus on the neck, pickups, and general workmanship. I don't care since I will be changing most all of the electrics (I just discovered that I have a brand new, loaded Fender Player Telecaster pickguard with Alnico 5 pups...I like those and may use them). But I will need to check the neck out very closely in light of problems others have had. Still, it is going to be a fun project and I love making near perfect instruments out of good lower end guitars!!!

CB91710 likes this.