Unexpected NGD - Epiphone Les Paul

PeteGeordie

Strat-Talker
Feb 12, 2021
UK
So a friend's son was throwing this in the bin but was persuaded to ask me if I could fix it. Needs new bridge and tailpiece and the electrics are a bit of a mess. Nut is broken too. In the end he said I could have it for £20 so here it is: 2003 Korean made Les Paul Standard PlusTop in a "blue burst" (sadly faded from sunlight). Pickups have been swapped to Ibanez SZ2 at some point.

I've started giving it a good clean and ordered some essential parts. If it plays well I'll probably keep it (as I've never yet sold a guitar ;-) )

IMG_1398.jpg IMG_1394(1).jpg IMG_1395(1).jpg

I definitely prefer it without the pickguard.

If it sets up well I feel an urge for gold hardware on this one....

gilmourstrat

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 16, 2012
Europe
Great score! 20 is a steal even ordering the missing parts. Plus Top was in their top range a few years back, Korean made also.

HNGD!

PeteGeordie

Strat-Talker
Feb 12, 2021
UK
Great score! 20 is a steal even ordering the missing parts. Plus Top was in their top range a few years back, Korean made also.

HNGD!

If I sell it (unlikely) I will split any profit with him. Obviously my labour is free to me though! If, as I expect it to, it plays well I will give him more than the 20 but until I get the bridge and string it up it's an unknown!

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
Nice find. You could put $200 of parts into it and it would still be a winner.

My first "main" guitar was a 2005 MIK Epi LP Std Plus Top in Amber Burst (Bought it from a guy in a pawn shop parking lot when they only offered him $150 so I gave him $200 - it was new with tags in a HSC). Played great, looked stunning (no pick guard on mine either), and sounded decent. I ended up selling it in 2011 after I picked up a used 1994 Gibson Les Paul Standard which has been my main guitar since.

2008-01-11 034.jpg

PeteGeordie

Strat-Talker
Feb 12, 2021
UK
Wow...what's this kid got going on that he can just trash something like that??

Kids of today eh? he must be around 30.

He has other guitars and this has been stuck in a garage for years and they were having a clear out. I said I'd get it nicely playable again for £50-100 in parts at cost plus whatever they thought my time is worth but he didn't want to invest any money in it. Hey ho...

Not sure why anybody wouldn't want to have a go at fixing it themselves if they were going to bin it. Lack of knowledge? The internet is free!

Now I need to find space for guitar number 15 :(

dublindave8456

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 22, 2019
dublin, ireland
So a friend's son was throwing this in the bin but was persuaded to ask me if I could fix it. Needs new bridge and tailpiece and the electrics are a bit of a mess. Nut is broken too. In the end he said I could have it for £20 so here it is: 2003 Korean made Les Paul Standard PlusTop in a "blue burst" (sadly faded from sunlight). Pickups have been swapped to Ibanez SZ2 at some point.

I've started giving it a good clean and ordered some essential parts. If it plays well I'll probably keep it (as I've never yet sold a guitar ;-) )

View attachment 472508 View attachment 472509 View attachment 472510

I definitely prefer it without the pickguard.

If it sets up well I feel an urge for gold hardware on this one....

nice colour, nice guitar

you made a statement that I've never seen on Strat talk before !!!!

''as I've never yet sold a guitar''

well done ..

PeteGeordie

Strat-Talker
Feb 12, 2021
UK
nice colour, nice guitar

you made a statement that I've never seen on Strat talk before !!!!

''as I've never yet sold a guitar''

well done ..

yeah it's a bit of a problem but I haven't acquired too many. The only guitar I've ever owned that I no longer have is one I lent to my brother-in-law when he was gigging. Lost somewhere... it was my first ever electric, a no-name LP copy, that I'd re-wired for stereo output to blend neck and bridge at the amp. Hey I was 16 and had a soldering iron!!

I was tempted to sell my Ibanez Howard Roberts as I rarely play it and it is quite collectable. After I'd spruced it up in a condition that I'd like a buyer to enjoy... I decided to keep it as it's too nice.

PeteGeordie

Strat-Talker
Feb 12, 2021
UK
I wasn't sure what this was going to be like so I bought a cheap bridge and tailpiece (£20). Temporary fix on the nut with superglue and baking powder. Re-soldered some of the connections (classic ground wire separated from output jack). Cleaned it, cleaned it some more. It now plays very well indeed so I need to decide whether I upgrade the bridge to a better one or not. I'll play it as it is for a month before deciding. Still tempted with gold hardware but the Grover tuners are just fine. Hmm decisions.

I paid £50 for it in the end as I felt guilty only paying £20 :( Still a bargain

P1030613.jpg P1030612.jpg

A few dings on the edges that I'll get round to at some point. I'm not a relic person although I have been called a relic.

P1030614.jpg