Unknown guitars!

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Dave1794, Mar 10, 2021.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Why? Sorry, I thought that was obvious. :oops:

They have gills - they need to live in the water or they can't breathe. Clear now? :sneaky:

Also, Mr, Bit is known by many of us as Grandpa Shark. :cool:

Dave1794 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  2. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

@stratman323 This thread is getting confusing, now we’re talking about sea animals?? I get it you’re the god father of this site but not everyone gets these inside jokes other than your followers.

@guitarchaeologist Thanks for the info!! This is a great help. This is why this thread was started, not to bash someone’s knock off guitar.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

I'm pretty sure I don't have any followers! :D All I'm doing is trying to wind up Mr. Bit. There's precious little to enjoy in life right now, & yet you begrudge me that? :(

s5tuart, Intune and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed; it seems like Rickenbacker really cracked down after John Hall inherited/took over the company in the mid-80s

[​IMG]

Dave1794 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

He's not the godfather of anything.The joke was aimed at me and it's been years since he last used it, so don't worry. It's quite endearing really.

s5tuart likes this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Hey, we've been here long enough to know what's worth worrying about, but are you sure that you don't have any Klingons?

s5tuart and Intune like this.
  7. Intune

No I know, no Klingons here, that’s from Star Wars right? You guys come as a pair when it comes to threads. I haven’t been around long enough but I see that pattern. It’s nice to have a pen pal. All good guys just gets a bit confusing.

I can’t even post in this thread anymore, I was interested to hear everyone’s odd ball or one off mystery guitars as I have one.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

I wasn't talking to you, which is why I quoted @stratman323. Nobody is stopping you from posting, just go with the flow, instead of trying to dictate what people can or can't post. I posted mine, you post yours.

As you got that wrong too, I'd best tell you that Klingons are from Star-Trek...

s5tuart and stratman323 like this.
  9. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I've never come across one, but if they were anything like the '70s Kay LP copy I had for a bit then I feel your pain. :D

stratman323 likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

The Kays weren't anywhere near as bad on the whole...

11. Intune

Ok sorry guys, I couldn’t resist posting this. I’ve had this broadcaster for awhile now and knew it was something special but could never really authenticate it. Not that it really mattered because I felt the story behind it was true.

So included in the story was names like Alan Hamel and the late John English. These were the guys working at the custom shop back in the late to early 90’s and 2000’s. John English in 1999 did a no truss rod esquire. Mine is a Chris Fleming 2001 broadcaster no truss rod. This could very well be one of Chris’s first built guitars with the custom shop as a project, prototype or as a apprentice getting his skill set tested.

@guitarchaeologist Thanks for the link to Chris’s link thing. Still not sure what that is. Anyway here’s a screen shot of Chris’s timeline with the custom shop. You can see is early days with John and Alan. Also Chris Ward Fleming(CWF) is market in the bridge cavity. To me could have been done by anyone. I didn’t know is middle name until now. Kinda cool. 5E9AF923-EBCE-4E10-AA1F-38F224D1E1ED.png 35C767A7-7317-46FA-9A9E-49AECAF93DC5.png

Dave1794 likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

A friend of mine played this 1970s Antoria throughout the 80s. He still has it.

Antoria.png

The Guitars were originally imported by JT Coppock (Leeds) Ltd and Charles Summerfield Ltd.

dbb541, Dave1794 and Roca81 like this.
  13. Oldboy

Oldboy Strat-O-Master

14. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Cool Z Guitars....

Look em up...

Really not a well known brand, makes excellent guitars out of Japan and can be had for a fair to good deal given quality and price in the used market

Dave1794 likes this.
  15. Dave1794

Dave1794 Strat-Talker

Very cool! Need more pictures to drool over though.

16. Dave1794

Dave1794 Strat-Talker

I will!

17. Intune

Thanks and thank you for starting this thread. I’ve always wondered about this one and even posted on the tele site. With the help of the members here I was able to get some more info.

I contacted fender when I got this a few years ago, they just said yes that’s Chris’s signature on the neck. That was it. I didn’t push to hard because this could be one of those “do not sell” guitars. No serial or COA. A signature and initials though. However there is a serial on the neck plate “R7571”. Someone also asked about the neck with no truss rod. It’s 20 years old and still has super low action, it doesn’t move and I don’t think there’s any stiffeners in there, just a thick V shape. 204CE352-DB59-43B0-AC38-4C2EA200DC64.jpeg 0692BE61-120C-4356-AA9F-08915F967962.jpeg F0FB9197-CDB2-4A7B-90B8-2D44208990B3.jpeg

Dave1794 likes this.
  18. Dave1794

Dave1794 Strat-Talker

I’m glad I’m not alone in the thought!
    Thanks for the pics! I especially liked the one with the collection in .
    If I were you I’d have a print out of all the details I could on that even the email correspondence with fender and keep it in the case. That’s definitely a no sell guitar to me! Very cool!! The serial number on the plate alone gets the old cogs turning. Just because it’s age is old doesn’t mean it’s not physically fit! It’s a great looking guitar and no doubt a hell of a player. It would be very cool if you could get in touch with the guy and have him verify it with an email too rather than such a short reply from fender.

19. Intune

Well I thought that’s what I was doing when I emailed fender. Then they were vague like with the reply. So I thought maybe it was one of those guitars that shouldn’t have left the factory. Not so much a not for sale guitar as it’s a keeper a more “where did that broadcaster go” type of deal. I figure it’s been 20 years since but still I’m not sure someone may still get their hand slapped. He’s actually the direct of the custom shop now.

Dave1794 likes this.
  20. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

Post some pics of the Grant Les Paul. I might be of some help on that one. I've been into older made in Japan copy guitars for 20 plus years. If you're interested in joining another guitar forum, the folks over at Ibanez Collectors World could help you too. Wealth of knowledge on that site. It doesn't have near the activity of strat-talk but you will learn about you Les Paul.

Dave1794 likes this.