Unknown guitars!

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Dave1794, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Sheltone, not Shelton.

Dave1794 likes this.
  2. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-Talker

Well, Kay spanned the gamut from a line of truly professional guitars all the way down to a line that were so cheap, if you paid a buck-fifty for one, you got burned. I still have and am in the process of restoring the guitar I learned on, that my mother got in 1946 when she was sixteen: a 1930s-1940s Kay Imperial jumbo archtop acoustic. Spruce top, maple back and sides, neck as straight as the day it came from the factory. All the local country players wanted to borrow that guitar because of the great action and clear sound that projected over everything. Over the years it basically got beat and butchered, finish stripped and refinished (badly), a few frets replaced (badly), and a couple of tuners that seized up and had to be replaced. It's been sitting in my spare room for years waiting for me to have the time to do it right - don't know if I'll ever get it back where it was, but I plan on redoing the original sunburst as close as possible, got a set of tuners from Stew-Mac that are an exact match for the originals, cleaning up the neck right now to fill in chips and do a complete re-fret. I'd like to get to play it again occasionally.

Dave1794 likes this.
  3. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

I agree the Ric copy is Matsumoku for sure.

I'd like to see the neck plate on the Arbor. It seems you believe it's Korean made so I'm guessing it doesn't say "made in Japan" on it. Its body shape is clearly similar to an early 80's Ibanez roadstar which means it could be built by Fujigen, but it would most likely have "made in Japan" on the neck plate if that was the case. A Hondo 'Formula 1" also has a similar body shape, I believe those were made in Korea by Samick. That said, I'd guess your Arbor is made by Samick as well.

mkgearhead and Dave1794 like this.
  4. Dave1794

Dave1794 Strat-Talker

Ohhhh
    Ohhh this I gotta see! I love restoration projects and one with a cool story! Please give us some before and up til now pics! As well as the finished product when it’s complete. Please??

Wayne Adams likes this.
  5. Dave1794

Dave1794 Strat-Talker

My bad!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

I'd say that guitar was built in Japan by Fujigen. The square neck heel places it mid- late 1970's (earlier guitars had a rounded heel). The pickups might be Maxons or could be single coil pickups under a humbucker cover. It looks to be a "budget" guitar and might have a plywood body. You could order different levels of quality from Fujigen and have them branded whatever you want. For example, I'm in Oregon, USA. There was a store here called Music West back in the day, the Fujigen guitars like yours that they sold were branded "Matao". I've had a few over the years. Some were of great quality and some not so good.

Dave1794 likes this.
  7. Rutiger

Rutiger Strat-Talk Member

Made in Canada? MADE IN CANADA! Well now I am intrigued. I'm going back to the store that's selling them here. Hopefully they will tell me how to reach the supplier I need to know! I want also to find out if they make "Tone" telecaster. I want one. Thanks for responding !!

Dave1794 likes this.
  8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed; that model Arbor was clearly a Roadstar II knock-off comparable with other Hondo IIs and low-end Korean Deans - they all probably came from Samick.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Thrup'ny Bit and Dave1794 like this.
  9. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-Talker

Sure thing - I'm going to take some photos tonight, because I want to do a tracking of the project myself. Wish I'd thought to do it before I started on the job in the first place, but there we are...

Dave1794 likes this.
  10. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talk Member

I love cool surprises and learning about otherwise little-known guitars is it's own reward. I have had so much fun going through a shop, seeing an unfamiliar guitar and asking, "What the Hell is that?" I absolutely love the ones that have ended up going home with me! It is it's own kind of fun showing up at a gig with such a find and totally killing it!

Dave1794 likes this.
  11. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

Yes, did you read what I wrote?
    A Hondo 'Formula 1" also has a similar body shape, I believe those were made in Korea by Samick. That said, I'd guess your Arbor is made by Samick as well.

12. Dave1794

Dave1794 Strat-Talker

S
    Sorry that’s my bad! I meant to say made in China! sold in Canada! Big difference. In my defence, I Wasn’t long awake from a midday nap when I was typing. Joys of Coronavirus lockdown measures.

13. Dave1794

Dave1794 Strat-Talker

Its always hindsight right?

Wayne Adams likes this.
  14. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Again will say Cool Z.....

Probably one of the used markets and guitarist who are into Strat Type and Tele types as well as Les Pauls will just love.

Not cheap....but great used prices for the quality and what you get straight from Japan.

Definitely check em out guys for sure.

15. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Burny Guitars can be found for a good deal too here and there for those looking for Les Paul or Gibson types.

Cool Z is like Burny but mainly for Strat Types and Tele Types.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Did you read what I wrote on the last page?

dbb541 likes this.
  17. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Also some other good brands forgotten but still around for good prices used or new are HagStorm and Hammer.

Both make awesome guitars

Dave1794 likes this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

Hagstrom and Hamer?

Dave1794 likes this.
  19. Dave1794

Dave1794 Strat-Talker

I have a squire strat I modded and pinched the machine heads from a Hamer guitar. Only because they were black and as luck would have it, they fit. No complaints on functionality though, never had an issue with them and they turn smooth as any other

20. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

No, I didn't read what you wrote. I responded to the post about the Arbor when I came across it, without reading the posts that came after it. Was just giving my 2 cents.
    If you're making the point that you already let him know the arbor was made in Korea then congrats! Thrup for the win!