Unpopular opinion

Aqueix

Strat-Talker
Jul 30, 2021
Arizona
Does anyone else think lefty guitars look cooler when being played then rightys? I play righty idk if it has to do with me being lefty or something I just think they look cooler.

PhilippineStrat

Strat-O-Master
Jan 18, 2022
Philippines
Om
Does anyone else think lefty guitars look cooler when being played then rightys? I play righty idk if it has to do with me being lefty or something I just think they look cooler

Im confused. Are you a left hander playing a right handed guitar?

Jimi was using a reversed guitar and looked cool.

Cobain used a left hander and looked cool.

If I dressed in a leotard and used a left handed guitar (im righty) I dunno.

If I dressed in my best gig clothes maybe Id look cool.

For sure it would be harder to tune.

It is completely subjective.

I think having if I played a lefty strat I might just be seen as a hendrix fanboy so not so cool.

If I played a left Les Paul I wouldnt be able to play the higher frets!

If you think you look cool with a reverse guitar thats kinda important as it will give you more confidence.

More important to sound cool :)

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Does anyone else think lefty guitars look cooler when being played then rightys? I play righty idk if it has to do with me being lefty or something I just think they look cooler.

Nope. They look 100% wrong.

Big time. I guess I'm just used to seeing righties 🤷‍♂️

Look. We have a Picard/hand on forhead smiley! LOL!

🤦‍♂️

That's hardly what I'd call an unpopular opinion. NOW...me? I've posted a couple of threads with controversial opinions before LOL. One was about Prince right after I started hanging out here. But once I learned to play a little more, I fully understood what I didn't understand before I learned to play. It was a clip of him playing with only 1 hand on the guitar and I was wondering if it could've been pre-recorded and he was just "playing over it" basically.

It wasn't. It was 100% real and I know that, now. When you don't even know about hammer ons and pull offs, and somebody is playing a guitar with only 1 hand on the fretboard, it makes you look twice lol. I didn't know what any of that was when I saw/heard him play that solo the first 10 thousand times.

But I fully understand, now. I also didn't know Prince could play that well at the time I formed that theory, long before I started learning to play.

Last edited:

PhilippineStrat

Strat-O-Master
Jan 18, 2022
Philippines
Nope. They look 100% wrong.

Big time. I guess I'm just used to seeing righties 🤷‍♂️

Look. We have a Picard/hand on forhead smiley! LOL!

🤦‍♂️

That's hardly what I'd call an unpopular opinion. NOW...me? I've posted a couple of threads with controversial opinions before LOL. One was about Prince right after I started hanging out here. But once I learned to play a little more, I fully understood what I didn't understand before I learned to play. It was a clip of him playing with only 1 hand on the guitar and I was wondering if it could've been pre-recorded and he was just "playing over it" basically.

It wasn't. It was 100% real and I know that, now. When you don't even know about hammer ons and pull offs, and somebody is playing a guitar with only 1 hand on the fretboard, it makes you look twice lol. I didn't know what any of that was when I saw/heard him play that solo the first 10 thousand times.

But I fully understand, now. I also didn't know Prince could play that well at the time I formed that theory, long before I started learning to play.
Prince is awesome :)

nifnof70

Strat-O-Master
Feb 8, 2017
Harpers Ferry WV
An old supervisor I had while in the military played a standard (righty) guitar left-handed, What tripped me out was the strings were left as is so it was confusing if he was trying to show me something he was doing.

It worked--he was a very good player and as he said, that's how many learned back in the day when left handed guitars were mostly unavailable.

On a side note: Before he enlisted in the early 70's played in a band that toured mostly VA, MD, DC, PA regions. I guess they were good enough to open for Iron Butterfly--he had a lot of cool stories about music and people that he jammed with. He'd show up where I worked at (small maintenance hangar) on a Friday afternoon with a guitar in one hand, and a case of beer in the other.

Good Times--I learned a lot!

Patlogsdon

Strat-Talker
Dec 23, 2021
NC
Look cool? I dunno. To me it's kinda like a shirt. I pick clothes I like. When I'm well dressed I'm more confident, however when I put on my work clothes I know I'm about to get dirty but I'm still confident because I'm good at what I do. Guitars are like that. I understand the look cool question. Remember the folks that try hard to be cool usually aren't. Be yourself. Our heroes didn't try to be someone else. My opinion is play the guitar that makes you feel confident in a picture but always be prepared to get dirty. It's music. If it sounds cool you'll look cool. Music can't be seen.

stormsedge

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 7, 2012
East Tennessee, USA
I did an inexpensive Hendrix knockoff a year or so ago...LH Strat "flipped" for RH use. It is fun to look at and a conversation piece...but I rarely play it as it just feels wonky.

MugHimself

Strat-O-Master
Jul 15, 2020
Connecticut
nah, just looks wrong to me. When I was a kid I went to catholic school for a year, there were no left handed kids there because the curriculum dictated that when teaching kids penmanship that they should be taught to use the correct writing hand (right hand) so the idea that certain tasks or objects are oriented for “right handedness” only is scratched deep in my brain. The logo placement usually doesn’t help either, there’s no way to mirror image a strat without changing its asthetic completely. Though I will say lefty players themselves always look to be more “in control” of their instrument to me, like they really know how to put those ugly guitars in their place

tubedude

Strat-O-Master
Mar 18, 2015
Golfcity, Ga
An old supervisor I had while in the military played a standard (righty) guitar left-handed, What tripped me out was the strings were left as is so it was confusing if he was trying to show me something he was doing.

It worked--he was a very good player and as he said, that's how many learned back in the day when left handed guitars were mostly unavailable.

On a side note: Before he enlisted in the early 70's played in a band that toured mostly VA, MD, DC, PA regions. I guess they were good enough to open for Iron Butterfly--he had a lot of cool stories about music and people that he jammed with. He'd show up where I worked at (small maintenance hangar) on a Friday afternoon with a guitar in one hand, and a case of beer in the other.

Good Times--I learned a lot!
One of my favorite local players is a lefty who also strings righty. Trying to learn from him was torture. He got the most interesting voicings for chords as it let him have a wider range of tones with the available fingerings. None of us righties could duplicate his playing. Also he always played the songs differently each time. A master improvisor with a big reservoir of chord shapes at his disposal.

Thrup'ny Bit

Grand Master Curmudgeon
May 21, 2010
Yorkshire
yep leftys look well cooler, better looking, taller and also more distinguished. Yes im a lefty

I say leave lefty guitars for lefty players. There are few enough to start of with.

I believe that is fair, so even though I'm a lefty I play righty to leave stocks for those that can't like my cack handed son in law...

Hydr0

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 3, 2015
New York
I'm guessing about 1 out of 9 people here will agree with you. ;)

Latest posts