Update! More advice on fender strats deciding my next purchase?

elateditse

Strat-Talk Member
May 23, 2022
Moldova
if you saw my previous post , i found a 90s strat, which i might pickup next week(first photo)... however i'm just curious if the other strats for sale are better..(all local pickup sales)...

1. Fender MIA 90s standard strat (lake placid blue?, stainless steel frets,) 1200euros
2. Fender MIA 1991 Deluxe strat (sunburst, 1 piece body?) - 1650euros
3. Fender MIA 2002 Deluxe Strat (Sonic blue?) - 1449 euros
4. Fender MIA 2000s standard (black) - 950euros (don't like the color, reminds me of bullet squier strats)

Hopefully this thread doesn't annoy anyone, i'm just trying to make the best decision with my first usa strat purchase. I can provide more details if needed. Thanks a lot of previous answers, love this community.

Attachments

• 6bb45869e9bc484cc794d0cea54e11ce.jpg
    6bb45869e9bc484cc794d0cea54e11ce.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 97ec275e6158ebc8ec94766f4f6dd50e.jpg
    97ec275e6158ebc8ec94766f4f6dd50e.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1c8cb2d790ec67bf75ddbef37dbc552a.jpg
    1c8cb2d790ec67bf75ddbef37dbc552a.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 4679d9763952b1ac86547709a7ceaa42.jpg
    4679d9763952b1ac86547709a7ceaa42.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 53

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
if you saw my previous post , i found a 90s strat, which i might pickup next week(first photo)... however i'm just curious if the other strats for sale are better..(all local pickup sales)...

1. Fender MIA 90s standard strat (lake placid blue?, stainless steel frets,) 1200euros
4. Fender MIA 2000s standard (black) - 950euros (don't like the color, reminds me of bullet squier strats)

Hopefully this thread doesn't annoy anyone, i'm just trying to make the best decision with my first usa strat purchase. I can provide more details if needed. Thanks a lot of previous answers, love this community.
My vote goes to the 90's American Standard. I have an '87 AM STD and love it.

Ace38

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 8, 2016
Tulsa, OK.
Which feels better in your hands? Which makes you want to play it constantly? That's the ONLY two questions you need to answer, because if you buy something based on perceived superiority and can't stand it, then you've wasted time and money. Don't buy anything till you have those questions answered.

Cali Dude

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 9, 2020
California
I would be partial to the sunburst. It has the quiet "Lace sensor" pickups. Also, the light blue guitar has an after market pickup in the bridge. This could lower the value, depending on the buyer. You should find out if they have the original pickup.

elateditse

Strat-Talk Member
May 23, 2022
Moldova
I would be partial to the sunburst. It has the quiet "Lace sensor" pickups. Also, the light blue guitar has an after market pickup in the bridge. This could lower the value, depending on the buyer. You should find out if they have the original pickup.
they do have the original pickup included

BuddyHollywood

Strat-O-Master
Jul 22, 2011
Venice, CA
Stainless steel frets is a nice bonus on your first choice. If you can play them all I agree that will be the ultimate deciding factor. They really are all different even within the same year and model.

PlayerOne

Strat-Talker
Jan 29, 2022
Charlotte, nc
Rough decision here, Delux vs Standard. I have both and love them equally. The main difference as far as I'm concerned, is the additional tones available on the Delux. The tuners on the Delux are a step above anything else Fender installs, so that could be a plus. And I should mention that my Standards all have the Fat50's pickups, which is also a deal maker.
So, good luck !!!

LawFlow

Strat-Talker
Feb 24, 2019
Oklahoma
I would probably prefer the standards over the deluxes, especially the one with SS frets. Do the deluxe models have noiseless pickups? Those would sound different than regular single coils. As others have said, it would be best if you can try each one.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida

4. would be my choice. Y2K MIA Strats were 4th Gen , had better body contours, Delta-tone system electronics. It's approx 10 years newer than 1. or 2. And is the least expensive of the lot.
Changing the white guard to mint or parchment and plastic ware to parch or something more vintage will make it look less like a penguin. Bolin, Clapton, Blackmore, Hendrix, Gilmore, and many others played black Strats at one time or another. Assuming equal quality/condition, IMO it's 4. for the WIN.

Note for 2. : one piece body very, very highly unlikely. In fact, that very nice looking top might be laminated on a poplar body...Fender often did that with American Standards in the early 90's.

Last edited:

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
For real, I'm partial to the Standard, but it's about you, not me or us. Play all four and get the one you like best. I worry less about specs, pickups etc. I go with what feels right and sounds good to me in the moment. Then after I buy something (which passed the play test) I do the research so I know what I have. At my age I'm not about chasing tone, sound or specs. I just know what to do when I find it! But that's just me......

Last edited:

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
I don't know if this will help but let me identify the 3 USA guitars you are looking at in a bit more detail

#1 is a circa 1990/1991 American Standard Strat in gunmetal blue. Besides the stainless steel frets the plastic has been changed to black, so there is also the possibility that the electronics have been changed.

#2 is a Strat Plus Deluxe - very nice model for it's era, it has a fairly hot pickup set with a blue logo Lace Sensor in the neck position (supposedly voiced like a PAF humbucker), silver logo Lace Sensor in the middle (hot 60s Strat), and the red logo Lace Sensor in the bridge position (very hot Strat single coil). You don't show the headstock but it should have locking tuners and a roller nut. It's not going to be a 1-piece body, but Fender typically used an alder body with ash veneers on these so the veneer can make it look one-piece.

#3: Watch out for this one; it's not a Deluxe Strat. It's a 2002 American Series Strat (Fender called the "American Standard" models the "American Series" from mid-2000 through 2007) in what looks like chrome blue. It's been modded with a rail-type single-coil sized humbucker. If it has locking tuners that's also a modification. I think it's overpriced even based on your description of the market in Moldova; it shouldn't be more than the 1990/91 American Standard, I would think a little less because the pickup (and locking tuners if it has them) are less expensive mods than the stainless steel frets.

#4 is priced nicely unless it's really worn; good basic 2000s American Series Strat.

Hope all this helps you make your decision. If it was me and I had the cash flow I would get the Strat Plus Deluxe just for the "different" factor as long as it's in good shape; I really wanted one of them back in the day never pulled the trigger on one.

nullaccount

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 12, 2022
Florida
If you don’t like the look of the bullet-looking one, don’t get it. It’ll always bug you. The 90s American Standard would be my choice. I have a late 90s American Standard and it’s great.

Last edited:

nullaccount

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 12, 2022
Florida
Rough decision here, Delux vs Standard. I have both and love them equally. The main difference as far as I'm concerned, is the additional tones available on the Delux. The tuners on the Delux are a step above anything else Fender installs, so that could be a plus. And I should mention that my Standards all have the Fat50's pickups, which is also a deal maker.
So, good luck !!!
I’m curious if all your Stratocasters sound the same since they all have the same pickups?

jsegovia

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 18, 2009
Newton, MA
I know this isn't in your list but have you ever tried an Eric Johnson Strat? Those are far and away my favorite Strats and I think the best Strats Fender has built in a long time. You may still find the features of those four Strats are better for your needs (and I do wish I could get the EJ Strat with 22 frets!), but if you have a chance, you may want to give an EJ a shot!

Caffiend

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 15, 2020
Yorkshire
I'd go 1 or 4. You say you dislike 4's looks so I have no idea why you're still considering it. If you dislike its looks it will stay in the case.

Agree with others. Play them if you can. If you can't, maybe consider buying something else that you can. It is usually possible to return something you don't like but it's much slower than spending a couple of afternoons playing guitar after guitar until you find the one.

elateditse

Strat-Talk Member
May 23, 2022
Moldova
I know this isn't in your list but have you ever tried an Eric Johnson Strat? Those are far and away my favorite Strats and I think the best Strats Fender has built in a long time. You may still find the features of those four Strats are better for your needs (and I do wish I could get the EJ Strat with 22 frets!), but if you have a chance, you may want to give an EJ a shot!
there is nowhere to find one in my country...so i can't try one before buying

elateditse

Strat-Talk Member
May 23, 2022
Moldova
I'd go 1 or 4. You say you dislike 4's looks so I have no idea why you're still considering it. If you dislike its looks it will stay in the case.

Agree with others. Play them if you can. If you can't, maybe consider buying something else that you can. It is usually possible to return something you don't like but it's much slower than spending a couple of afternoons playing guitar after guitar until you find the one.
#1 90's Standard. Good era, good guitars.
If you don’t like the look of the bullet-looking one, don’t get it. It’ll always bug you. The 90s American Standard would be my choice. I have a late 90s American Standard and it’s great.
I would probably prefer the standards over the deluxes, especially the one with SS frets. Do the deluxe models have noiseless pickups? Those would sound different than regular single coils. As others have said, it would be best if you can try each one.
They are all different… purely on taste, I’d pick the Placid Blue !
My vote goes to the 90's American Standard. I have an '87 AM STD and love it.
Guys, i went to the dude's apartment and we tried our guitars,(the 90s gun blue strat) the neck feels so different comparing to my prs se, its a lot more C shape, round, nonetheless plays smooth and the frets feel great, the sound is so classic strat, sounds just like the records......unfortunately i dont have all the money, i'll earn the rest on my next gig on sunday probably(i play at weddings in a festive band)......the dude liked my prs, he said he plays metal mostly., lol ..He is still up for the trade, and i can't wait...i'm so excited..i want it now :DDD ..the guitar includes a 90s fender hardcase...i feel like this guitar is gonna be a keeper, might name it even ...

Latest posts