Join Strat-Talk Today

Upgrading pickups to seymour duncan

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by stratkiwi, Jan 24, 2020.

1. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

I have bought a new pick guard for my player series strat which is in Hss configuration the one I am buying is for SSS which is the only way I can work around keeping the HSs set up as all I can find for full size humbuckers have the dumb 3 hole mounting set up but using some thing like a jb jr, lil screamin demon or lil 59 in the bridge position single coil guard. Have already settled on SSL-1's for neck and middle (rwrp) but want some advice on the 3 mini humbuckers I mentioned which one is the better option.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

You could get a trim ring for your humbucker and re-drill mounting holes. I'm astonished you can't find an HSS pickguard with the mounting holes like you want, have you looked at Warmoth?

3bolt79 and Miotch like this.
  3. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

I could have got a non fender branded one but the screw holes for mounting on the guitar were not going to line up and be damned if i am going to go drilling new holes in the body of my guitar plus I want to leave the existing one how it is so it can go back in if i ever sell it. Easier for me to buy fender branded stuff when it comes to pick guards etc so I know it will fit my OCD is bad with that sort of thing.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Here is what I do with HSS models ... convert to SSS and install the Armstrong Blender, a wiring only change if starting from a stock loaded pickguard/guitar, where the second tone pot blends between stock SSS and series HSH. This Strat below has a 'hendrix angle' pickguard, with the Armstrong Blender, but is otherwise stock with a couple of cosmetic changes.

Run of the mill Strat pickups are 6kohms that when put in series gives 12kohms of output ... which is basically in the range of all those hot humbuckers you're looking at. Part way up the blender knob travel is the classic Gibson PAF type of 8kohm output.

The reason I do this is I still have the stock SSS Strat as there are some tones in there that disappear with the physical humbuckers get installed. You also lose the ability to tweak between single and humbucker -- some situations a humbucker can sound fizzy so it's good to be able to dial back toward a raspy single coil.

[​IMG]
    The Tele here fills out some needs for a 16kohm hot humbucker, but it also splits with a 4-way to give rounder neck or twangy bridge singles and a parallel #2 Strat Quack tone.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Even a Fender brand pickguard will not line up with all 11 holes, the body moves and the pickguard does too....you usually have to fill and re-drill at least 1-2 holes.....

If you order one you'll be disappointed, if your goal is to not have to drill in the body ever.....

Nate D likes this.
  6. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

all the aftermarket ones I have seen advertised here in New Zealand the holes have been for the older strats where the screw holes are positioned differently (closer together in some areas) where as the fender one I am getting the holes are the same as my current pick guard I had a brain and asked for measurements to compare to mine refer to pics for comparison the SSS one is the one I am buying the HSS one is the one I was going to buy then my guitar that I am going to do the upgrade on plus I like the idea of black guard and white pickups with sunburst guitars

fender pickguard.jpg aftermarket pickguard.jpg
    new fender.jpg

7. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

8. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

Please guys I asked a simple question JB jr, Lil 59 or lil screamin demon for the bridge pickup to go with the SSL-1's I want to put in the neck and middle positions is all I wanted feedback on from personal experiences of other users who use the pick ups I mentioned. I appreciate the input given so far but it is not answering my question.

TangerineDog and Cerb like this.
  9. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

I have only tried the JB jr and it sounded fine. Therr is no way to tell what you prefer without having you try them all in your guitar, through your amp. With that in mind I'd say that you will be happy with either one.

If you're lucky @Antigua will have some inforamation on how they compare, that isn't based on marketing fluff but actual figures.

10. Guitarmageddon

Even when it looks like they will all line up,they probably won't.....we've had countless people here make threads pissed off Fender guards weren't a perfect no-drill fit......

11. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

Enough about the pick guard ok all I am interested in is the pickups I asked about hopefully @Seymour Duncan might be able to give his opinion.

12. Guitarmageddon

Alrighty buddy, you go on ignore now. No time for unappreciative people when I'm trying to help and explain you can't ever not have to drill in your precious new Fender body.....

Grux and Nate D like this.
  13. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

I am confused. I thought that you did want a new pick guard for the new pickups?

Stephen James likes this.
  14. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

yes I do and I have already bought it and waiting for it to arrive

15. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

doesn't bother me have a nice day

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  16. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

My plan was to set it for auto split as my current factory set up splits the humbucker in position 2 and runs with the middle pickup. The humbucker I currently have is a 7.6K ohm alnico 2 and the middle is an8.0K ohm alnico 5 which means when that humbucker is split it is only 3.8K ohm in single coil mode. I like having a humbucker as I do play heavier music as well as the quieter stuff.

17. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Do a quick google on the pickups you listed and you will find you are not in the optimal place to find the specific help you seek. Yes, this is the 'pickup forum', however the specific manufacturer's site and community may be more helpful in this regard..

Also, you have come here seeking a solution to your problem, this place is full of great people who want to spend their free time helping you to achieve what you are after. Metaphorically speaking, if you want to ride a horse to your new ranch 500 miles away (and are asking about the best route to take), instead of trailering it (common practice), you may find the result to be substantially different than what you expected (i.e. the condition/quality of the horse after such a trip). If you can't understand the truth in that, well, please don't take it out on others here when they suggest trailering may be the better choice..

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    808K likes this.
  18. stratkiwi

stratkiwi Strat-Talker

Hold up I took nothing out on anybody I did say that I have OCD and the idea of drilling holes sets it off plus that guitar is my property and I have the right to say what happens to it if people can not accept that then there is a serious problem.

Teleplayer likes this.
  19. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker Vendor Member

All I am saying is you have possibly seen that members generally less harsh in responses, and someone felt you were harsh enough for them to want to ignore/block your posts.. That has to say something, right?

Especially when the member-in-question has been one of the more helpful individuals on this site, IMHE..

Anyways, I do hope you get the result you are after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.