UPS raising fees

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Baelzebub, May 29, 2020.

1. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

This from Linkedin this morning:

UPS to raise delivery costs

After being overwhelmed by a surplus of packages and oversized items to deliver during the pandemic, United Parcel Service is adding a peak surcharge for companies using its services. The likes of Amazon, Target and Best Buy will be hit by the surcharge, usually reserved for the Christmas period, from May 31. Lockdown store closures have meant many retailers are relying on shipping more than usual, says The Wall Street Journal. Retailers will now have to decide whether to absorb the extra costs or raise prices.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

I quit using UPS as a loyal customer after they back-billed me, fraudulently (FBI, put me on record please). Months after buying tons of services from them, online, with precision data, they sent me a bill for more charges. I asked how that could be, with 3 pages of details included at the time of postage for every purchase, and they said quotes are always estimates. I pointed out all of the data was exact, and verified exact, and they said, "well, we have to estimate our inputs." I just don't suffer the fools in the world.

3. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Or shift to FedEx or DHL Express, I would hope.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Just before they raise their prices to match. It's not like they compete to be cheapest. :D

abnormaltoy and wrvond like this.
  5. jim293

jim293 Senior Stratmaster

I have never had a problem with using Fed ex or anyone else. Although I do prefer using UPS.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Everybody's UP...
    Put an amp on reverb, got a quote from both UPS and USPS....

It sold 2 mos + 2 weeks later...
    Box it shipped it -- exactly double shipping...

Quotes in the $80.00s
    Actually in the $159.00s

7. Baelzebub

Nothing but bad experiences with FedEx over a 20 year period they have never NOT been a problem. Prefer UPS but they could price themselves out of the market. Didn't they just lose a bunch of Amazon business?

Oh well. With the increase in deliveries, probably a lot of it permanent, due to covid, eventually someone is going to see an opportunity and step in to offer some competition. Plenty of room in the market for a new player. Maybe something along the lines of an Uber business model..

Never see anyone mention DHL...wonder why that is.

DIYrocker likes this.
  8. Baelzebub

https://onlineshippingcalculator.com/

This might be worth checking out. Can check and compare rates among the major carriers. Haven't used it so nothing to offer. If someone does, please post and let us all know how accurate/useful it is.

JP68 likes this.
  9. Baelzebub

I don't suffer fools gladly, and covid may help reduce the number that I have to suffer at all, but no way around suffering some. Just too much stoopid in the gene pond.

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Did you end up using UPS or FedEx?

I've had that happen so much with FedEx that I'm afraid to ship with them any more. I get a quote from their web site, charge my customer, and ship his order the next day. Then weeks later I'm billed a lot more than the quote. I don't remember UPS doing it to me, but I won't be surprised if they do at some point.

11. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

UPS did just that to me on a box that I shipped to my father a week ago.....The upcharge about 5 days later charged to my account was a tad over $3.00 so I won't complain, but I have no idea what the extra amount was for....

12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I can live with a 3 dollar difference. The pain happens when they quote $45 and charge me $85. The last time it happened with FedEx we called and complained, and they removed half the extra charge. It seems like they must be violating some trade law somewhere, but life is too short for me to make a project out of it.

crawdaddy likes this.
  13. clydethecat

clydethecat Senior Stratmaster

Didn't they pull out of the domestic shipping market a few years ago? When did they come back?

14. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I stopped using UPS close to 10 years ago due to the costs. I shipped probably 75 guitars through them before finding out USPS is FAR cheaper and almost as fast. Tried Fedex ONE TIME and my guitar got stolen.

15. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

I hope someone does it soon. We're overdue for a new and better player.

Baelzebub likes this.
  16. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

Trends have been conspiring to save me a lot of money. I don't ship anything but pedals, and I don't buy anything used but pedals. My turnover has gone to near zero.

17. Baelzebub

You may be right. Despite site I posted listing DHL with the others it wasn't one that showed up in a hypothetical comparison.

18. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I've seen (and become aware of) DHL in the last several years. I've had only a few items I've bought online shipped to me via DHL (they may have been from Amazon, but I don't remember for sure). I've never shipped with DHL myself. I haven't seen a DHL office/location in my area, so I don't know much about them.

19. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I've sometimes preferred UPS, since they seem to have somewhat lower fees than FedEx. But both seem to be fairly expensive, compared to the US Postal Service. Recently I had a couple of computer power center surge protectors similar to the one posted below, to sell on eBay, and FedEx wanted around $25 to ship one of them (maybe due to the package size?). That's more than they sold for. Fortunately, one of the buyers was local, so I was able to meet him with it and didn't have to ship it..
    [​IMG]

20. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

and people complain about USPS...without USPS imagine how prices would skyrocket especially for rural communities.

Stratbats likes this.