USA Made Roasted Maple Neck

Rounder44

Strat-Talker
Mar 1, 2018
TUCSON, AZ
Hi,

I assume my Fender WW Thin Skin Roasted Ash and Maple 50s Strat's neck was made in USA but I can't determine the resale value of it.

I fell in love with a Custom Shop relic'd neck and they seem to cost ~$1300!! SO if I decide to swap I'd really have to get most I could from the roasted maple neck I have now.

Thing is I can only find MIM versions for up to ~$350.

Any clue on value of a supposed USA Made roasted maple Strat neck. It's the Boat neck profile, a soft rounded V that is actually pretty cool! I'd like to match that with a relic neck...

Thanks!

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
Hi,

I assume my Fender WW Thin Skin Roasted Ash and Maple 50s Strat's neck was made in USA but I can't determine the resale value of it.

I fell in love with a Custom Shop relic'd neck and they seem to cost ~$1300!! SO if I decide to swap I'd really have to get most I could from the roasted maple neck I have now.

Thing is I can only find MIM versions for up to ~$350.

Any clue on value of a supposed USA Made roasted maple Strat neck. It's the Boat neck profile, a soft rounded V that is actually pretty cool! I'd like to match that with a relic neck...

Thanks!

I am a bit confused. Did you buy a neck by itself or was this a factory Thin Skin Wildwood WITH original factory neck.....if it's a factory guitar, the neck is worth HALF of what the average guitar as a whole would sell for, as a used Strat....

a custom shop neck for 1300 is absolutely ridiculous I think

Rounder44

Strat-Talker
Mar 1, 2018
TUCSON, AZ
I am a bit confused. Did you buy a neck by itself or was this a factory Thin Skin Wildwood WITH original factory neck.....

a custom shop neck for 1300 is absolutely ridiculous I think

It's the original factory neck that came with and is still on my Wildwood Thin Skin Strat! Brand new for ~$2200 in 2019. MINT condition! Zero fret wear.

$1300 is steep BUT that's what a CS is all about IMO! I LOVE the neck on my CS Broadcaster...heavy relic is amazing! Best neck I have ever touched!

But yes $1300! So I want to see how much I can defray by selling the existing roasted maple neck.

Thanks!

stevierayfan91

DEEPLY SHY.
Feb 20, 2011
Private.
Hi, @Rounder44

I would advise to keep the original neck in case want to swap back or sell the guitar.

Wildwood Thin Skin Strats are pretty special models.

Also
Have you considered whether trading it in towards a CS Strat gets more of what you want?

I don’t have that kind of $ but the above may be an idea for you

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
It's the original factory neck that came with and is still on my Wildwood Thin Skin Strat! Brand new for ~$2200 in 2019. MINT condition! Zero fret wear.

$1300 is steep BUT that's what a CS is all about IMO! I LOVE the neck on my CS Broadcaster...heavy relic is amazing! Best neck I have ever touched!

But yes $1300! So I want to see how much I can defray by selling the existing roasted maple neck.

Thanks!

Well, at 2200 new, the normal formula is about 65-70% of new - so like $1400-1500 for your guitar, or like $700-750 for your neck maximum.....

Keep in mind you are also lowering the resale value of the finished guitar you'll end up with.......

Rounder44

Strat-Talker
Mar 1, 2018
TUCSON, AZ
Hi, @Rounder44

I would advise to keep the original neck in case want to swap back or sell the guitar.

Wildwood Thin Skin Strats are pretty special models.

Also
Have you considered whether trading it in towards a CS Strat gets more of what you want?

I don’t have that kind of $ but the above may be an idea for you

Selling it doesn't get me as close to a CS as a simple neck swap. If I could get $500-$600 for the neck that gets my CS neck down to a manageable number...

But if only $200-$300 like you said keep it!

Thanks!

CattleDog73

Strat-Talker
Jul 18, 2020
MA
A few years ago they sold the AmPro neck in roasted maple. I believe they were $6-700.

Considering American Original necks (closest for current production) start around $700, I’d assume around $800 for roasted if it were an option, which would translate to around $500 used.

For the CS neck - only you can determine what it’s worth to you. I try to not get hung up on resale values, it’s not very rock and roll. But if you’re one to always buy and sell gear it’s a consideration.

Rounder44

Strat-Talker
Mar 1, 2018
TUCSON, AZ
A few years ago they sold the AmPro neck in roasted maple. I believe they were $6-700.

Considering American Original necks (closest for current production) start around $700, I’d assume around $800 for roasted if it were an option, which would translate to around $500 used.

For the CS neck - only you can determine what it’s worth to you. I try to not get hung up on resale values, it’s not very rock and roll. But if you’re one to always buy and sell gear it’s a consideration.

Thanks!

Looks like those USA made are hard/impossible to find right now. Everything is MIM which frankly doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference! I guess an Am Pro the closest version to what this is.

I don't worry about resale too much. People forget to factor in the pleasure of having, playing and learning from a guitar! Even if I sell a guitar I had for several years for $1000 less than I paid...so what! How much entertainment can you actually get for $1000 any more? That's about 3 concerts out with the lady!

R44

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Thanks!

Looks like those USA made are hard/impossible to find right now. Everything is MIM which frankly doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference! I guess an Am Pro the closest version to what this is.

I don't worry about resale too much. People forget to factor in the pleasure of having, playing and learning from a guitar! Even if I sell a guitar I had for several years for $1000 less than I paid...so what! How much entertainment can you actually get for $1000 any more? That's about 3 concerts out with the lady!

R44

I like your accounting methods. :thumb:

Viision

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 28, 2021
San Marcos, CA
Thanks!

R44

Please sell me your guitars when you are ready :D

AxemanVR

I appreciate, therefore I am...
Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
Looks like those USA made are hard/impossible to find right now. Everything is MIM...

This is true.

When I was looking for a Fender American Original 60s neck there were no used ones to be found, so it was either new or nothing - although I was a little patient (but mostly lucky) when The Stratosphere had a flash sale for $100 off and I jumped in it!

The Fender Custom Shop '69 Relic body I got was a much rarer find (hardly anyone parts out a Custom Shop Fender) so I spend quite a bit more than I expected to get it, but, altogether, the $2500 “American Fender ‘65 Clone Partscaster” project I ended up with still cost $800 - $1000+- less than a factory Custom Shop guitar sells for used.

Regardless, in the end I got my high-end Strat fix satiated and the fact that I’m totally happy with that decision is all that matters to me...

675B2EF6-5D3A-46E9-A035-9CB45F2CAF68.jpeg

Last edited:

AxemanVR

I appreciate, therefore I am...
Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
Nice Strat!

STRATosphere parts out CS Strats pretty regularly, but he charges $800 and up for just the body - which is pretty ridiculous.
`
Yes, The Stratosphere is one of the few places that do part out CS stuff, but if you’re looking for something specific it can be hit or miss since they seem to get the more "basic" models.

In my case I wanted the perfect example of a 60s sunburst and, not only were their offerings fairly slim, nothing really hit the mark quite right for me.

Even the one I got could use a more pronounced red on the burst and a lighter yellow in the middle - so I still kind of settled for "less than completely authentic" (although I do actually love the rich color mine has).

Of course if you're looking for a Dakota Red or Lake Placid Blue finish then you'll probably do just fine...

`

Last edited:

dvqc1

Strat-Talker
Sep 13, 2015
Missouri
As someone who has built several guitars and has upgraded or repaired hundreds in my opinion there is no neck out there that is worth $1,300. That's ridiculous because as soon as you buy it the value of it will drop 50% or more. Again just my opinion but if you have tons of money to waste on one simply because you like the way it looks then buy it. Chances are your guitar won't play any better though.

Rounder44

Strat-Talker
Mar 1, 2018
TUCSON, AZ
As someone who has built several guitars and has upgraded or repaired hundreds in my opinion there is no neck out there that is worth $1,300. That's ridiculous because as soon as you buy it the value of it will drop 50% or more. Again just my opinion but if you have tons of money to waste on one simply because you like the way it looks then buy it. Chances are your guitar won't play any better though.

"Worth" is relative.

I don't have the skills to risk relic'ing a new Am Pro neck. I've seen way too many hack jobs and understand fully it's a skill to properly age and neck.

I'm not so much about having it look aged but the rolled edges and finish removed would still be hard to do right. Chances of messing up my current neck by attempting such mods would end in disaster I'm sure!

SO you have to figure price of a good neck and the craftsman skill to "age" it to a comfortable state.

Plus a CS relic neck is NOT just an off the shelf Am Pro. I'm speaking of 50's style and those will have a different finish and color.

Since there is no real option.....$1300 is THE price.

dvqc1

Strat-Talker
Sep 13, 2015
Missouri
"Worth" is relative.

I don't have the skills to risk relic'ing a new Am Pro neck. I've seen way too many hack jobs and understand fully it's a skill to properly age and neck.

I'm not so much about having it look aged but the rolled edges and finish removed would still be hard to do right. Chances of messing up my current neck by attempting such mods would end in disaster I'm sure!

SO you have to figure price of a good neck and the craftsman skill to "age" it to a comfortable state.

Plus a CS relic neck is NOT just an off the shelf Am Pro. I'm speaking of 50's style and those will have a different finish and color.

Since there is no real option.....$1300 is THE price.

I know many players are very passionate about their guitars and have an idea what they think is the perfect set up so by all means if you can afford it then buy it. I understand your concerns about doing it yourself and I also have seen some real hack jobs. I know I have relic' d a few guitars for people I know and you are right it is hard to get an aged look just right. I took a new Olympic white Strat for a friend and aged it to look like it came from the 50's and it was not easy but I managed to pull it off. That said I have been working on guitars for 50 years and was also a finish carpenter/cabinet maker for many years so I do have some knowledge on how to work with wood. I guess since I can take an inexpensive neck and make it look and play like an expensive one I have have a tendency to not spend a ton of money on something like the neck you are wanting.