Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Use the same HB in bridge and neck?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by TangerineDog, Dec 1, 2017.

1. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Like, the exact same model twice, each one specced for the bridge position.
    Have you done it?
    What did you think?

2. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Every Les Paul made (in the wonder years at least) came with the same pickup in both positions (until DiMarzio started naming his?)

Ebidis likes this.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    @abnormaltoy what you said about vintage Les Pauls is true, however when you're talking high output bridge pickups like 14-16k resistance values.....I don't think I'd want something like that in the neck.....to me it would be flat and less expressive - more compressed. Personally I'd want that in a lead sound with some grit, but a neck humbucker on cleans has its own charms that you only seem to get with an under 10k wind.....

A lot of people like a hot bridge pickup and a vintage output neck pickup for this reason - the JB from @Seymour Duncan back in the day used to come sometimes in a package with a Jazz neck pickup, or sometimes a '59 neck pickup. Either that or it was just common among players to use those combinations, so much that a lot of shops began to stock both when ordering.

So I guess my thoughts are if you want vintage or slightly hotter than vintage say 11k wind max, I'd maybe get both the same.....but not a high output design bridge pickup in the neck position.....

waltschwarzkopf likes this.

4. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

Feb 21, 2013
    Sweden
    There's a risk it gets very muddy with high gain sounds especially if you keep a 250k pot. Been there and done that so to speak

Guitarmageddon likes this.

5. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I have to say, while it isn't my personal thing, the Jazz & JB combo (sold as the 'Hot Rodded Set') is by far our best selling set of pickups.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The Jazz is a fantastic neck pickup IMO.

Textele likes this.

7. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    May not count but many have ran an EMG 81/81 and/or 60/60 set up.

8. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    + 100,000,000.

9. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I do use a Jazz in a particularly mid-heavy poplar-bodied Music Man. It scoops out most of the mids, and makes it usable for me. But in a balanced instrument (like my alder Music Man, or mahogany Brian Moore), I like warmer, more buttery neck pickups.