Used guitars - buying and trying

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by gilmourstrat, Jan 13, 2021.

1. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

In the current pandemic situation and the fact that Covid-19 seems to last some hours on any surface, how do you cope in buying/trying used guitars?

Is that a concern to you guys or you don't give much thought about it? Just curious if you guys have any fear in trying a guitar just handed by a complete stranger :)

3bolt79, Nadnitram and Stratafied like this.
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

You could wear gloves & give it a wipe down before trying..
    I'm more worried about being too up close with a person than a guitar

3bolt79, jude77, soulman969 and 6 others like this.
  3. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I sold three guitars over the summer. Set up an area on the porch with a chair, an amp, the guitar, and a guitar stand. Told people in my ad that mask was required. Stood safe distance away while they tried the guitar. Finish up the transaction, go inside and wash up.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    3bolt79, johnted, Jyates and 9 others like this.
  4. Mahoot

Mahoot Strat-Talker

Bought a used Strat end of Nov. Asked about how much contact he had with others and it was very minimal. Like myself. The guy had an amp set up in his hallway for me to try it out but declined. I had the guitar out of its case and gave it the once over and all looked just as described. Happy to walk away and try it out at home. Hand sanitiser in the car etc. Cleaned it up I got it home and all was good.
    We are in a full lockdown at the moment so wouldn't visit someone else's house right now.

3bolt79, johnted, RHL87 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I have bought one and sold one. Do the safety things we all know to do, and I believe it's fine.

3bolt79 and JDug like this.
  6. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Nice to hear some people don't think Covid-19 is a hoax lol. So tired of the doubters....

drp146, 3bolt79, johnted and 10 others like this.
  7. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Frankly, I'm not buying or selling anything during these times. I can wait until later this year, or at least until I am vaccinated.

3bolt79, JJ119, jvin248 and 3 others like this.
  8. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I buy at a price I know I can resell at if I don't like it when it arrives in the post. Don't have to talk to or be nice to anyone then! :D

3bolt79, LPBlue and Nadnitram like this.
  9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I’ve so,d several things on CL in the past year with no issues but haven’t bought anything. Of course I don’t buy used guitars so it’s not really an issue for me.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. JDug

JDug Strat-Talker

I purchased a used Strat, personal sale back in September. I found the guitar on fb marketplace, knew exactly that was what I wanted, agreed on the price, corresponded with seller via text, ( checked his profile, good seller, etc), met outside his place of residence, he came out with the guitar as I pulled up, we both had masks on, Looked it over, played a few notes, played well, put it in the case, paid him cash, then we went our own ways. Transaction took 2-3 mins.

Then I traded it in at GC in December for another used Strat, everyone had masks on in the store including myself, no problem!

3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.
  11. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Kinda hesitant, want to go to GC and try some amps but I’ll wait. Did buy a guitar this past spring online, cleaned it up real good before handing it.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Two of my friends are still suffering breathlessness and tiredness among the after-effects. A friend's daughter caught it at university, along with all her house mates. They though it would be 'just like flu', but Sophie hasn't recovered well at all. She was going to record some vocal parts for me (remotely) but she's just not up to it. Obviously, we hope she'll make a full recovery in time, but the doctors are overwhelmed saving lives, so this is not the time to expect them to act as singing coaches.

We lost 1,564 people to COVID today. Anyone who thinks it's a hoax is welcome to help bury the dead. Presumably, you won't be needing PPE...

drp146, 3bolt79, Morf2540 and 11 others like this.
  13. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

As far as surface contact is concerned I understand that the virus virtually disappears after 72 hour's, having said that my information was posted on a scientific site before the more virulent strain raised it's head so that may now be inaccurate.
    Whatever the actual truth is it's not worth taking any risks, wipe down with biocidal cloths and wash your hands afterwards and leave for at least the 72 hours, you should be pretty safe.

drp146, 3bolt79 and simoncroft like this.
  14. RHL87

RHL87 Strat-Talk Member

spot on mate.

btomson, ukoldgit, drp146 and 3 others like this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

CDC guidelines have been updated... several months ago.
    They are now saying that transmission through surface contact is extremely unlikely.

When you go to the store, or get gas, or the ATM, you are touching the same keypad every other customer has handled.

jdw3, vlxerdon, 3bolt79 and 7 others like this.
  16. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I'm holding fire on anything at the moment.

Did click and collect a Tonerider classic blues neck pup yesterday. But I think the UK will stop a lot of items for purchase this way.

Just gonna have to suck it and see, what happens next.

3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.
  17. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Yuck

3bolt79, Nadnitram and CB91710 like this.
  18. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I've bought a couple of guitars since this whole business started. Meeting outdoors, public place--with mask and staying 6 feet apart. Just pick it up and play it, and use hand sanitizer afterwards--just like any other time I touch something in public (key pads, door handles, gas pumps). I keep hand sanitizer in the car, always. I also took great care not to touch my face after handling it, until it has been in the house for 3 days. Honestly the hardest part is not playing the new guitar.

But I also have some inexpensive guitars that I intend to sell, and I've held off because I don't want to meet up with people. My local hospital is full up and 49% of patients are there with Covid-19, it's not a good time to take unnecessary risks.

drp146, 3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.
  19. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-O-Master

The last time I bought a guitar I was so excited for the $125 mexican strat I forgot about covid. It was like any other CL or FB transaction. Neither of us were wearing masks, but I only saw the guy for maybe 2 minutes.

It was when I left that I realized I probably shouldn't have shaken his hand. Oh well, that was months ago.

20. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Just buy, don't demo.
    Act as if there is axle grease all over the guitar so everything it touches is marked for cleaning.

Everything on a guitar can be fixed or you flip it later. If the price is so dear you gotta be sure you neeeed it by test driving then skip that transaction.

3bolt79, RHL87 and s5tuart like this.