Used truck prices

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Lonn, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    My son manages an Auto Zone, he said he has hardly any brake rotors in stock, and they're getting harder to get. A friend works at a truck parts place, he said Cummins rebuild kits are backordered about a year out.

About 3 years ago I was in the market for a truck. Test drove a new F-150. $43,000 and it wasn't even an XLT. Used prices were through the roof then too. I ended up buying a 2006 F150 with over 200,000 on it for 6 grand. Nothing fancy, XL, 4.6 V8. A/C, power windows, that's about it. So far, so good. It was a state owned truck, well maintained and garage kept, no rust on it. I just put plugs and coils in it.

Screenshot_20180923-124300.png

2. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Used trucks on CL are as good a deal as used MIM Fender's on CL... :rolleyes:

Jeepocaster and Impulsive guppy like this.
  3. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

Truck prices are insane and have been for awhile. I had several BMWs over the years that I always bought used, usually for around 30k or so.
    I'd pull up and people would say,
    "oooh must be rough".
    This as they stepped out of their loaded pickup truck worth two of my beemers. Ya, ok.

4. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

No problem.

The gov will cause gas prices to skyrocket and you will be able to buy any truck your heart desires for pennies on the dollar.

errr .....wait a minute.

Your dollar will also be worth pennies.

So perhaps that ploy won't out that well after all.

5. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

these fancy trucks are so expensive, but every day I see them running lights, riding on my bumper, speeding, intentionally punching the gas to make the engine rev up, etc.

I guess people got money to burn.

aiabx and Miotch like this.
  6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Lotta 4wd's around with undercarriages that never seen anything but pavement.

And ya ever notice, those are the guys who have to come to nearly complete stop when they turn up a curb into a driveway or parking lot?

Bodean and Miotch like this.
  7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Yep... it is certainly not a buyer's market right now.
    I was thrust into the market (literally) when someone ran a red light and wiped out my '16 Corolla.
    I had intended to upgrade it next year.
    Called my fleet manager, and she had no hybrid Camrys on the lot, and there were only 6 in California with the options I wanted, and they were a $1000 premium.
    She managed to get me into an Avalon XSE Hybrid with all of the options I wanted in the Camry for about $2,000 less, she had 4 on the lot.

I was so happy with it that I started looking into upgrading my wife's '15 Rav4. It only had 38k on it, and the trade value was $18,000!
    Traded it in on a new Venza for her and she's loving it.

The truck market is absolutely insane.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  8. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

You are way out of touch.

9. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

I thought the cars were bad.
    The trucks are just stupid expensive.
    I find branded title cars and save big money.
    My 17 challenger TA with 10k on it cost me 22 thou 6 months ago. It was a lemon buyback car. FCA put a new engine in it, a new steering rack and module, and some other minor stuff.
    Right now if it had a non branded title it would be worth 38 to 40k.
    Had several salvage/branded title cars over the years. Never had out of the ordinary issues with them and saved a ton of money.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

That was 3 years ago. Now, that $6k is going to be about $10k.

A new F-150 XL, the most basic and stripped down one, is still going to be around $40k. That is, if you can find one for sale anywhere. Then, you get to find out how much above MSRP the dealer is actually selling it for. Even worse, a less then reputable might put you in a bidding war with other potential buyers instead of allowing you to put down a deposit on a truck they might get in a few months.

Sixstringer107 likes this.
  11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I’ve parked next to a lot of $70k raised fancy-boy diesel trucks in the last few years whose beds have clearly not seen anything heavier than the empty beer cans from the owners’ kids soccer games. Blows my mind why someone would spend that kind of money on a giant truck that will never see a days work, but I suspect I know the psychology behind the purchase.

s5tuart, aiabx and Baelzebub like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Those chips are a distraction.

Rising fuel prices will fix the truck shortage. Seems like every time gas stays over $4/gallon that means a truck fill-up is over $100 and drivers start to think about their weekly fill up more often as a $400-$500 per month problem. Then all of a sudden you can't give away the trucks parked on every street corner with for sale signs and everyone wants a tiny fuel efficient car. This time it may be different. It may be everything.

The problem is accelerating inflation. The only reason inflation was explained to us as 'transitory' was because the low inflation would transition quickly into high inflation.

Here is where Venezuela is now. Their currency to purchase regular products.
    Too much to count, just weigh the bills.

[​IMG]

Weimar Republic just about one hundred years ago. Basket of cash for cabbages.

[​IMG]

Off to buy something before the value cuts in half ... again.

[​IMG]

And that becomes the real problem. The speed of currency degradation.

Some of these countries found the value of their savings was cut in half every month. This guy in Lebanon said he had saved up $70,000 that if he lost his job he could survive two years or more but now their currency has devalued so much he can only buy $5,000 worth of stuff -- where his savings gave him a two year cushion he now only had two months of cushion. And they are not done there yet.

If you can only get ten Liters of fuel at a fill up after waiting in line, who will want a truck?

Deafsoundguy and Baelzebub like this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Good post. And every bit of it real and true. The only bit I would add it that it's not just trucks that are affected by the chip thing, it's automotive products across the board.

On the inflation thing, I don't think most people grasp the dangers posed to the dollar's status as a reserve currency. Should that status change, living standards in the US (measured by what your money will actually buy) will drop by 30%, literally overnight.

The membership here skews a bit older but I'm not sure how many folks remember the days of 17-20% inflation, driven mostly by energy prices. But those who don't learn the lessons of history repeat them.

s5tuart and CB91710 like this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Trucks are different now than in previous gas price increase times. Many, if not most, have smaller and fuel efficient, yet powerful, engines, equivalent to what you find in similar SUV/Crossovers. For example, filling up my 2021 Ranger costs essentially the same as filling up my wife's Lincoln MKC SUV. I get better gas mileage than her as well, probably because she has a heavy foot.

Of course, EVs will change things in the next 10 years or so. Range and charging infrastructure are almost there.

15. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

Used vehicle prices are ridiculous right now.

16. CB91710

And those who attempt to erase history *intend* to repeat it.

17. CB91710

But still comparatively bad, so when the budget gets tight, trucks are parked.
    18-20 is good mileage for trucks and larger SUVs. Some can do better on the highway, but local shopping trips kill them.
    My '16 Corolla got 34. Under the same driving conditions, my 2021 Avalon Hybrid is getting 47-49... I'd probably be getting 60 out of a new Corolla hybrid.
    I'm spending $50/week including a $10 car wash. I'd be at $80/week in a Tacoma and probably $100 in a Tundra without the car wash.

Miotch likes this.
  18. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Trucks are cheap, just get a 10 year loan and your good to go, for 3 years until the
    warranty runs out.

Baelzebub likes this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

My 2015 Chevy Sonic got about 23mpg, the truck gets about 20mpg. Gas costs a lot less here in GA than it does in CA as well. The Sonic did have a tiny gas tank so it didn't cost as much to fill although it had a shorter range.

I'll probably get an EV as my next new vehicle since I think the tech, availability and infrastructure will have improved considerably by then. That is, if the hyperinflation apocalypse mentioned in this thread doesn't wipe everything out.

CB91710 likes this.
  20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

20210401_080058.jpg

aiabx, Archtops, Deafsoundguy and 3 others like this.