Join Strat-Talk Today

USPS nightmare.....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bazz Jass, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

I got a great deal on a guitar back on the 6th of this month that included shipping to me here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Tracking link came though next day and I followed progress all the way to my home city where it stopped. For 10 days. Didn't enter the local postal system here. Then a shocking USPS update - the guitar was shipping back out of the country. Mistake surely?

Next day the tracking says scanned into and through US customs. Then stops. Three days ago. Hasn't continued back to the dealer.

What really sucks is that I can't contact USPS from here. Impossible. No number to call or help desk to email. The seller has been great and can't believe this has happened and will happily resend if the guitar comes back to him with a free upgrade to a more reliable service.

Meanwhile the guitar is stuck in no man's land for who knows what reason. I hate not knowing. I'm the kind of guy who likes to be informed every minute of the process.

If anyone here works for USPS or has a friend who does please PM me!

2. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Argh! How frustrating! I hope you get it soon!

Nick Evans likes this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Where in the southern hemisphere are you?

4. Bazz Jass

Auckland NZ

5. DaveTone

DaveTone Strat-O-Master

I had a similar episode coming from Canada. Give it a couple more days and hopefully the tracking history will "resurrect" itself and show the actual location. Shipping has been more and more of an issue as we modernize this world.

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Was it a RW fingerboard? i.e. is it possible the guitar didn't have proper paperwork for international shipping?

Silvercrow, TangerineDog and DaveTone like this.
  7. DaveTone

DaveTone Strat-O-Master

Good call - didnt think about that one.

s5tuart likes this.
  8. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

My sympathies on your dilemma. I think you need to be grateful that, if nothing else, you're dealing with a seller who will be helpful and cooperative . Hope it works out for you

9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I have a ton of shipping experience with the USPS. I expect that if you're patient enough you'll find that the guitar eventually ends up either at the origin or at your house. I've sent many hundreds of packages overseas by USPS, and the worst that has happened is that something goes wrong with the delivery and it comes back to me in a month or so. @johnnymg may be on to something.

Dick Blackmore and JP68 like this.
  10. Bazz Jass

Thanks guys. The guitar has no rosewood content. I'm super careful about that these days though I have friends who order rosewood guitars and get them through without a second glance.

I'm going to say it's only an Ovation. Kind of a nostalgic purchase rather than a big ticket one. But still...I'd like it to arrive safely.

johnnymg likes this.
  11. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

I ordered a guitar from the West Coast a few years ago and once it left the tracking stopped. I kept calling the store I bought it from and one of the associates told me it will arrive, this happens all the time... And sure enough, it did, and the day I received it the tracking miraculously appeared, all in full...

JP68 likes this.
  12. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

USPS has no visibility into what's in US Customs. They are a separate room within a USPS International Package processing facility. And I am surprised that it's in customs on the way out of the US. Usually everything arriving in the US goes through Customs before entering the USPS system.

The last step in the USPS process is to dump you package into a cart and wait for enough items to contact which ever airline they use to fly the package to the destination country. Also at this point the airline can delay based on how much weight the may or may not want to carry.

The USPS tracking system is not on a par with UPS or FedEx. When I have a choice for international shipping USPS is not first on my list.

All this is in reverse when arriving in the destination country. So it sounds like your postal service didn't like something.

13. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

USPS can be a day or two behind on posting tracking info. If it is waiting on customs clearance on either end that can take a bit.

duzie likes this.
  14. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

major airline delays have been a normal thing for a while now and the usps is basicly a branch of the us government so they perform with the same level of waste and discombobulation!

but in my experience shipping thousands of packages with them it will eventually get to you or be returned to the sender....

s5tuart likes this.
  15. wmachine

wmachine Strat-Talker

That is a problem, not a "nightmare". I have yet to see any shipping problem that that is a nightmare. Please save the superlatives for real situations, the forum drama does not need to be amped up. Pun intended.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  16. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I run a mailorder book company and use USPS for 99%of my shipping, including international orders... After shipping probably 10,000 orders, the times something actually disappeared I can count on one hand. Like others have said, I would think it will eventually either show up at your place or find its way back to the sender. Still, I know the anguish of waiting and worrying!

Also, as much as I love the USPS, and I'm one of its most vocal defenders, their tracking system is pretty bad. Lots of mistakes and misinformation, and slow to update. Hang in there!

17. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Curious....
    You're in NZ...
    How is it USPS problem...
    When......
    Didn't you say it arrived in you city and then bounced off...
    Keeping in mind, I've no dog in this contest...
    Just curious

18. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

So close and now so far....... totally sucks

19. Bazz Jass

Just to clarify....It cleared US Customs on the way back into the US. That's when the tracking stopped. It didn't even make it to NZ customs. It's like the plane arrived, Sat on the tarmac for 10 days then flew back to the US. Customs here never saw it...

In theory it's still in possession of USPS. But why and for how long is what I can't figure or find out.....

20. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I sent a Les Paul neck to the UK using USPS.

It got to Customs, then complete information blackout.

Customer says he has called Customs, and they have no information on when it will clear, because they are busy.

5 months latter, the box is returned to me, completely unopened. No reason stated for the return.

I tried to get a shipping refund from USPS, but the claims agent said "We did our part. We have no control over the UK".

Customer instructs me to send it again with USPS (it's about $30 cheaper).

I send it; and it's in his hands in less the 2 weeks, again totally unopened, lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.