Vaccine - possible side effect

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratMike10, Jun 10, 2021 at 8:32 AM.

1. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

Both the wife and I have been vaxed for almost two months, and last week we adventured out on a nice road trip. A week or so before the trip the younger grandkids were over, both sick with a cold, super congested and with buggers running down their noses and feeling crappy (thanks a lot, mom and dad...). Seeking comfort from Gp and Gm there was a lot of hugging and kissing and touching (yuk) and of course the natural reaction of a grandparent wanting to comfort an aching little one can overcome the aversion for getting sick.

As expected, a few days later the symptoms started for both of us - runny nose, congestion, scratchy throat, feeling ran over and crappy - three days before we go on vacation. We were both a little pissed off over the bad timing and discussed cancelling the vacation. Next day the cold was full blown, but surprisingly by the end of the day the symptoms were easing. On the third day we both woke up and the symptoms were completely gone.

Not trying to draw any conclusions here, but we all know common colds last at least a full week, sometimes two weeks before all the symptoms are gone. Knowing the common cold is caused by a type of coronavirus, I looked it up and found a couple articles/mentions relating to the vax possibly providing some protection.

So after getting the shortest lasting cold of my life, I'm interested in hearing if anyone else who has been vaxed has had the same happen, it's kind of too soon and most people have only very recently taken it, but as time passes and more people catch a cold, post your experience here!

2. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talker

I was vaccinated months ago (J&J). No side effects whatsoever.

People are still going to get colds and mystery illnesses. I've had colds for 2 or 3 days before. That's likely what you had.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

3bolt79, muttonbuster and StratMike10 like this.
  4. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Friend of mine had his second shot on a Thursday 3 weeks ago.....we were supposed to go out to dinner on that Saturday.....he still wasn't feeling better, so we canceled.....Sunday he was at the emergency room.....doc said....no biggie just after effect to the shot...

Following Tuesday....he had a massive stroke....69 yo and he is still in the hospital (rehab)...can't walk without the aid of a walker, left arm is pretty useless....

This is a big strong man that has worked as a laborer his entire life until he finally retired last year....

not saying it was the shot...BUT.......

5. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    That's hardly a universal statement. Whenever I get cold like symptoms they're almost always 24-28 hours and gone. I'm not Superman either by a long shot.

Stratbats, The-Kid, dante1963 and 4 others like this.
  6. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Completely unrelated to the op, but thanks for sharing.

7. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

OTOH, I keep hearing freaky stories, more in this vein. I know somebody, personally, who had an awful reaction to the vax.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

9. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Why don't people read the damn posts before replying? AFAIK @StratMike10 is asking about potential POSITIVE side benefits, not war stories/wives tales about someone you know who knew someone who had a brain tumour etc. etc.

I know the internet has shortened peoples attention span but to the point where people can't even read a few paragraphs... FFS

To the OP - fortunately (for me) I rarely suffer from colds etc. so I doubt I'll be able to add any statistics to the theory, but I'd be happy if it reduces my chances even more!

Stratbats, Cyberi4n, Neil.C and 10 others like this.
  10. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Nature ,catch word for something big few can fathom, and your immune system, also big and few understand. Do all Humans immune systems work the sameo_O, no they don't. Our immune system has layer upon layer of protections against any thing trying to enter or breach our bodies systems. It's a wonder, as far as viruses, they can elude the "IS" long enough to set up a virus factory. Some today have that sort of IS and show no "symptoms". To me, thank your God there are cats brilliant enough to give us a vaccine to build up enough anti-bodies that sound the alarm against Covid-19. Just my opinion FWIW

11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I rarely get a cold. I got my vaccine a couple of months ago, and about two weeks ago I had a scratchy throat and chest congestion. It lasted for two days. I don’t know if the vaccine helped with that, but it was the shortest time that I had cold symptoms. I hadn’t had a cold in 5 years. So maybe the OP is on to something.

StratMike10 and ukoldgit like this.
  12. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

The OP was sharing his positive experience but he asked for peoples experiences, not specifically positive ones.

13. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

"So after getting the shortest lasting cold of my life, I'm interested in hearing if anyone else who has been vaxed has had the same happen."

You're still showing you didn't actually read the post.

14. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

But I did, twice. Maybe check the last 4 words of the OP

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

Alright, I'll respond to the OP about an experience I had eating a great sandwich the other day, since I guess we can ignore everything that came before the last 4 words.

PeteGeordie and Baelzebub like this.
  16. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

im pretty good at reading comprehension, and this is what he said....

"I'm interested in hearing if anyone else who has been vaxed has had the same happen"

i dont care one way or the other.....just wanted to point out the important part.
    i swear, you guys will argue over anything.
    its getting old.

HTSMetal, fattboyzz, ChrisD and 17 others like this.
  17. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talk Member

Sometimes you only catch a mild cold. I caught one recently (after traveling for the first time in 15 months), and it was about what I'd expect.

Interesting to think about, but people will want to ascribe causality (both good and bad) to the vaccine, but in reality you can't really know.

PeteGeordie and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Which shot? He might be one of the unfortunate statistical minority who experienced that clotting thing. Sucks...sorry to hear about this.

19. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

Suit yourself. PM me then if you want to hear about my sandwich.

20. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

actually, im kinda hungry. please tell me about that sammy.