Vaccine - possible side effect

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratMike10, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I read the first post and thought to myself... Allergy season is upon us. That sounds a lot like allergies.

I read a few of the answers and I thought, oh jeez here we go... I wonder if anyone read through long enough to get the question @StratMike10 posted. Lol.

StratMike10 and heltershelton like this.
  2. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

Same. I got my 2nd vax months ago, but seasonal allergies have had me feeling like hell for about a week now. I go down this same road every year, so I was all too familiar with the culprit.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  3. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

So, as @heltershelton mentioned, that sounds like allergies but since Covid is one of those coronaviruses it is possible, maybe that there is some correlation but I doubt a real doctor would comment without a big old study.

A good friend of mine had rheumatoid arthritis (autoimmune disease) and has a regime of injections to keep it in check. She had her first vaccination at the end of March and swears it has improved her condition. It's not cured by any stretch but apparently it has improved.

I get my #2 tonight in about 10 hours. Woo hoo!

Mansonienne, ukoldgit and PeteGeordie like this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

I don't either, but thanks for appreciating the sarcasm and please accept the parting gift from lovely Nani Darnell.

5. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

I just stated facts.....wife and I had a little sickness after the 2nd shot, but that was it....

I am sure it was a combination of things....but when a non drinker, non smoker, healthy man has a stroke (not a heart attack) .....hmm, it gets one thinking....

6. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Nuh-uh. You'll argue over anything!

7. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

It was the Pfizer shot.....and the same shots that both my wife and myself got....without to much of a problem....we felt a little under the weather a couple of days after receiving our 2nd shots....

It does suck, but I'm sure that there are other factors that added into the mix....

Like you stated....the shots will help many people, but there will always be variances due to our genetic makeup....

8. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Anecdotes don't show anything. You haven't controlled the variables.

So here are my anecdotes:
    • I teach middle school. I usually start the year with about 40-50 boxes of tissues, and I always run out of tissues by February. We were face-to-face with masks all year. For the first time in 28 years, I ended the year with tissues left over. 26 boxes of them. While it seems possible that masks and social distancing cut down on colds and allergies, it is also possible that the kids were just wiping their noses with the insides of the masks.
    • My allergies have always been triggered by mowing and other yard work. Three weeks ago, I began wearing a mask and safety goggles while mowing. I suffered no allergy symptoms. I've done the mask and goggles every time since, and still no symptoms. Scientific? Nope. Good enough to keep me wearing a mask for mowing? Yep.

nadzab, Neil.C, Andrew Wasson and 4 others like this.
  9. Angel S Bunny

Angel S Bunny Strat-Talker

is it true that a possible side effect is growing a 2nd head from Left Arm side

Biddlin likes this.
  10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah..wasn't looking to attach an significance to which one, just curious. At that age, any number of things could have been the issue and not related to the vaccine at all. There is a whole lot more that's NOT known about all of this, that what is known, unfortunately. And because what is known can only be a function of the data to date, even that changes as the data samples get larger.

crawdaddy likes this.
  11. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I don't think there's any doubt at all that precautions such as masks and distancing are responsible for the virtually non-existent flu season and reduced incidences of colds and other respiratory ailments over the last year. That's simply logical.

Some anecdotal evidence of my own. I worked in for years out of the office, mostly riding my motorcycle and in order to maintain contact with clients and or track down leads used payphones many times in a day. Once cell phones came out, I got one right away. One of those motorola breadboxes that cost a fortune and was $1 a minute incoming or outgoing.

Over the next year, I noted a much lower instance of getting sick. Pay phones were a huge vector. Someone turned me on to echinacea about the same time. Between not using pay phones, using ech to boost my immune system when rundown and avoiding children I went 12 years without so much as a sniffle, instead of the previous 4-6 colds a year.

Broke the streak when I kissed a baby.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  12. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking ....

Glad you and the Mrs. are feeling better Mike .

StratMike10 likes this.
  13. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

18fdM8.gif

14. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

dbb541, ukoldgit and Triple Jim like this.
  15. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Pretty common sense really, no actual hard and fast fact's just yet but maybe after a few studies it could prove worthy, after all, they are all viruses which may have commonalities.

StratMike10 likes this.
  16. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Only Side Effect I experienced is Massive GAS :)

dbb541 and StratMike10 like this.
  17. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Only symptoms I had was a day or so of fatigue and a sore arm. I know a lot of people that have been vaccinated and they all had the same effects or non at all.

18. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Dunno, maybe the side effect was to help ya nuke a summer cold in record time?

19. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

When I have cold/flu symptoms I drink a big bottle of red rum. That way by the time I sober up, the symptoms have gone.

What cold?, I can't remember.

ukoldgit likes this.
  20. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

The only thing I have noticed since getting the Moderna Vaccine in Jan/Feb that I seem to have a lot more trouble going to sleep at night. Likely not related though since I retired at the end of February and my house flooded 3 weeks ago - lots on my mind the past few months.

Like others have said - I get a cold or two every year (usually when around the Grandkids), but it never lasts more than a day or two (pre or post covid19 vaccine). The sickest I have been in the past 10+ years was the whole month of January 2020. Very possible I had Covid19, but the urgent care felt it was allergies and an ear infection (2 times) - I have a 2 day allergy attack every month - 20+ days is a bit extreme.

tamer_of_banthas and Stonetone like this.