Valve vs. Tube

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by DMR90Guitar, Nov 10, 2010.

1. widget

widget Strat-O-Master

As you have deduced by now... tubes and valves refer to the same phenomenon. That being said, it mostly depends on you.

Try out both a solid state (ss) amp and a good tube amp. See if you can discern enough difference to prefer one over the other.
    Also, much depends on available cash for beginning players.
    You can purchase a reasonably good ss amp for much less than its tubed or valved counterpart. Mostly, while you're looking into the differences - enjoy the ride

2. zeeter

zeeter Strat-O-Master

Depending on one's goals, if I were searching for a decent amp I would probably get a good Fender solid state like a mustang. Most on here will agree that tubes are where it's at, but there's nothing wrong with a nice solid state amp. Just don't go cheap on it. Or if you do, go cheap in order to save up for a tube amp.

Tube amps do take maintenance. Plus the tubes themselves can be pricey for the good ones; most amps come with cheap ones out of the box. This is fine with me because I'd rather they put in cheapies than more expensive ones that I don't like and then drive up the price due to the higher quality tubes that I'm going to replace.

3. thomasglide

thomasglide Strat-Talk Member

Look at the big brain on John!

4. thomasglide

thomasglide Strat-Talk Member

More Claudia Cardinale

Attached Files:

5. Bob priv

Bob priv Strat-Talk Member

By "Tube" you are actually referring to a "Vacuum Tube", or "tube" for short. The first one was actually invented in 1904 by an English engineer named John Fleming. These first "tubes" actually functioned as diodes, so it became known as the "Fleming Valve" which described its function as "valve" for the control the flow of electrons.

In 1907 Robert Von Lieben invented the cathode ray tube which could amplifying audio signals. That same year, American Lee Deforest invented the triode "tube". Over the next several years, various improvements were made in the triode and several derivatives such as tetrodes and pentodes were also developed.

Since these devices are essentially encased in a vacuum tube, the United States, they became simply as "vacuum tubes" which is routinely shortened to "tube". However, in the UK, and much of the rest of the world, they are still commonly known as "Valves".

Today the terms valve and tube are interchangeable and refer to the same things depending where you are. Marshall amps use "valves" while Fender amps use "tubes" because this is what they are called in the countries where those amps are made.

What adds to the confusion is that British amps and American amps tend to use different tubes. For example, Fender made many amps over the years that use either 6L6GC or 6V6GT power tubes, while Marshall and Vox tended use EL34 and EL84 tubes. That's simply because those particular tubes are common where those amps are made.

Someone in the US that owns a Marshall amp may wish to refer to it as a valve amp, but in the US it is more commonly known as a tube amp. They may also offer you some "crisps" (potato chips) or say they need to stop for "petrol" (gas). But those names don't change what they are.

BTW, this is far from rare to see things that called different things in the UK and the US. For example:
    Gasoline (US) vs "Petrol (UK)
    Vacuum Tube or tube (US) vs "Valve (UK)
    ATM (US) vs Cashpoint (UK)
    Cookie (US) vs biscuit (UK)
    Potato Chips (US) vs Crisps (UK)
    Vacation (US) vs Holiday (UK)
    Flashlight (US) vs Torch (UK)
    Subway (US) vs Underground (UK)
    Sneakers (US) vs Trainers (UK)
    Truck (US) vs Lorry (UK)
    Freeway (US) vs Motorway (UK)
    Trunk (US) vs Boot (UK)
    Hood (US) vs Bonnet (UK)
    plus many others...

good luck.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Damn good query...I
    Very
    Very
    Loaded...
    Words N concepts us, wee peepels cannot use here...
    Kinda like....
    Condoms
    Or
    Not

7. STRATA

STRATA Strat-Talker

They're both right and they both mean the same thing. Brits call it 'a FEMALE because of the way it works, Americans call it 'a FEMALE'' because of how it looks.[/QUOTE]...........................
    Either way it still has the same meaning 'TROUBLE AHEAD!'..when it short circuits.

8. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-Talker

Transistors are just as much "valves" to control electrical flow as vacuum tubes. While I regard the use of the term "valves" as quaint, where "vacuum tubes" is a more accurate description, I've learned to live with the Brit's expressions like "tyres and petrol" as somewhat less precise than those equivalents of the USA - I still understand what's being discussed.

9. jojo68

jojo68 Strat-Talker

What abut the crystal lattice ?

10. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Well he is only 33:whistling:

11. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

Valves...........tubes...........no matter. My amps use either.

12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    Not to be s Debbie Downer, but the guy who started this thread was last seen July of 2011...

`

Mansonienne likes this.
  13. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Yeah. He started messing with a different kind of tube/valve, and nobody ever heard from him again. Yet.

[​IMG]

AxemanVR likes this.
  14. Niquel

Niquel Strat-Talk Member

Valves are cheaper than tubes. :whistling: [not]

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Totally correct. Can’t stop now, gotta get the valve to work!

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

They tried to force the metric system on us, we fought back, and won a couple of concessions. However, we go with 1/4 pounder. It’s a rebellion, masses rising up, fighting the system thing..................or we just went with what McDonald’s sold us.