Join Strat-Talk Today

VERY difficult new build!

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by axejock, Jun 11, 2019.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I have been gassing for a Lake Placid Blue body in near perfect condition for my next build. I found some but they either sold before I got there, were too rough, or just plain too expensive. I'm not a real blue fan, but LPD is a great color. Well, while searching the Stratosphere Site last week, I found a FULLY assembled, brand new Player body in Tidepool (very close to LPD) so I bought it. Then I saw that they has a fully loaded Player neck with Pau Ferro board and I bought it too (good prices). Now I have two assembly challenges.....mounting the neck and installing new strings (Oh, yes, and adjusting the two point tremolo system). I just don't know if I can handle that much complication! I'm used to having to put every little piece into a bare body on any build. Wish me luck...let's see the pointy end of the neck fits in the neck pocket and the strings are held in place with small roofing nails? Boy, what a challenge....may take me months!
    This written very light heartedly of course, but I Really did buy the parts mentioned and hope to have it operational tomorrow night. Pics of the "components"

bluestratneck.jpg blue strat.jpg

2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

hey....take it slow. I had never built one before, and I found out that every build is different and will present it's own challenges. slow down, and when overwhelmed, ask someone here. nobody here will ever steer you wrong.
    the first one I built ...people think it's possessed. I ain't kiddin.

TVvoodoo, garyhoos1, axejock and 2 others like this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Be very careful and take it slow as mentioned by HS. I seen a guy one time forget to take off the tag and OMG was that a mess...

axejock and Silvercrow like this.
  4. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Don’t jinx yourself and end up having to dowel and drill holes that don’t line up LOL

enjoy. Gonna be a beauty

TVvoodoo, Dougeryb, axejock and 2 others like this.
  5. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Easy Peasy When you finish this, come help me with my avatar.

axejock and Silvercrow like this.
  6. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

axejock likes this.
  7. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Should be a great guitar. I love the look of the body

axejock likes this.
  8. axejock

The body arrived today as scheduled. I got the neck screwed on but got interrupted and didn't get the strings put on, so it remains incomplete. But it IS absolutely beautiful and the blue color is exactly what I was after. I guess it'll be a day or two before it is complete and I can post the final product pictures.

9. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

I LOOOVVVEEE that blue. Can't wait to see pics.

circles and axejock like this.
  10. axejock

OK, I didn't get it strung, but I did get it together and did the neck alignment! It came out perfect including the color. As stated, I have to do something else tonight, but will finish soon. Here are some photos with the neck on. This thing really is a knock out!! (Factory stickers and all)

CIMG1030.JPG CIMG1031.JPG CIMG1032.JPG

Attached Files:

11. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

Great look! It is very close to the LPB I have on a CV50

axejock likes this.
  12. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

WOW! GREAT job and great "eye" for the components and how well they go together (figuratively and literally)!

I've discovered I'm a real "junkie" for componentry. So if ya wanna share what the body is loaded with, the wiring, any details please, be kind to an old guy and satiate my curiosity!

CONGRATS- can't wait to see it strung up and plugged in!

Brian

axejock likes this.
  13. axejock

Yeah, I was really after LPB, but this color (called Tidepool) comes VERY close! I can definitely live with this!

BobbyS likes this.
  14. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Damn that’s a nice color. Why’d I have to look at this.

Silvercrow and axejock like this.
  15. axejock

I can't take credit for any of the details of this guitar except the choice of color and the pau ferro neck. All parts were bought from Stratosphere and are exactly as Fender put them together....both the body and the neck were already "loaded". I do know that the neck and middle pups are Alnico 5 types, and the neck is a Fender-style humbucker. Switch positions are standard Fender. What I really have here is a brand new, fully stock Fender Player HSS guitar except that I bought the neck and body separately (and cheaper than at the music store!).

Silvercrow likes this.
  16. Silvercrow

Thanks! I know you mean 'bridge' for the 'bucker...I had my Strat set up HSS at one point and I LOED the Diamondback humbucker in the bridge! Just my opinion but the Atomic and Diamondback are underrated humbuckers. I can esily see me going back to HSS someday (or maybe gettig another loaded pickgurd so that I can swap them out when I want / feel the need to).

Ya got yerself a great guitar there! BEST WISHES with it!!

Brian

axejock likes this.
  17. Silvercrow

"People, places, things..." as we say in the recovery "rooms". This is NOT the place to hang if you've got GAS. And lets face it...we ALL do, to one extent or another!

Brian

TremoloJoe, Chont and axejock like this.
  18. axejock

Yes, I definitely "botched" that....the Humbucker is in the BRIDGE position! Anyway, I have taken a step backward. I took the neck back off because I got in a hurry and forgot to "dress" the neck heel and the body pocket before bolting them together. I usually do a light "clean up" of those areas before assembly, and I think it is just good practice to assure that there are no burrs, shavings, paint pools lurking in there! That is a critical joint and no matter how well the neck fits (like this one) I always do this before assembly. Habit I guess, but it sure won't take long!

Silvercrow likes this.
  19. Silvercrow

I didn't mean it to be critical...I'm a fan of humbuckers on Strats...

I forget where I watched it- probably YouTube, and it was a while ago, but whoever was doing the demo was stressing how critical that joint is; to try to get it to mate surface to surface as best as possible, etc. Great stuff!

Brian

axejock likes this.
  20. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-Talker

So as it's literally a brand new Player Series essentially just bought in 2 separate pieces and then screwed together, is it a Partscaster?

axejock likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.