Join Strat-Talk Today

VERY difficult new build!

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by axejock, Jun 11, 2019.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I really do not know how to answer that. If a partscaster is any guitar that has a part on it that is not factory installed, then yes, I guess it's a partscaster. But there is a "gray" area here where lots of folks change out pickups, necks, bridges, etc. for the purpose of upgrading, yet continue to call the guitar "original but upgraded". I don't know where the line is drawn and really do not give it much thought. Every guitar I have built has used all Genuine Fender parts (usually new) or significantly upgraded parts like SD pickups, Callaham bridges, etc. Partscaster (to me) sends a very bad message about guitars made up of old, junk parts, but if the "rules" makes any change to a guitar, good or bad, a partscaster it really makes very little difference to me.

2. axejock

Well, I "got 'er done"! Put the neck back on, adjusted it, installed the strings and set their height, and worked with the 2-point tremolo bridge to get it to float properly. Tuned it several times to get past the new string stretch issue, and then tried it out. All I can say is WOW! This is not my first Player Strat, but it has to be up there as one of the best! And as I do for all of my new builds, I invested in a "low cost" hard case for it (all of my Strats have the same case) so I guess I'm good to go. I could probably do a little better with the intonation, but at my age and hearing ability, it seems fine. Here's the end result (The time of day and lighting sure make a difference in how this color shows in pictures....the pics in my earlier post show the real color the best!):

CIMG1035.JPG CIMG1036.JPG CIMG1037.JPG CIMG1040.JPG CIMG1041.JPG CIMG1043.JPG CIMG1046.JPG
    This shows the tremolo bridge "float".

CIMG1045.JPG
    CIMG1033.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Antstrat and Norrin Radd like this.
  3. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

CONGRATS!!

VERY NICE!

AND still real purdy at dusk...LOL!

Brian

axejock likes this.
  4. axejock

This paint color does "change" a bit depending on lighting (direct or indirect) and camera flash (which I should take off the "auto" setting)! It truly is a VERY close match to the Lake Placid Blue "timeless" color that Fender has used for years. The best depiction of the real color is in the photos I posted after I first installed the neck. That was done in the evening with only room lighting around. I'll repost them here for comparison.

CIMG1030.JPG CIMG1031.JPG CIMG1032.JPG

5. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Hardest part of the build will be replacing that silly humbucker with a proper single coil. Good luck!

axejock likes this.
  6. axejock

Remove the Humbucker? Hell, my next project is going to have two humbuckers (bridge and neck) and I even have some plans for a 3 Humbucker Strat! I have plenty of single coil Strats, I'm just trying to "expand my horizons". (lol)

7. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Strat-Talker Vendor Member

that's a beauty, I would have leaned towards a maple fretboard, but rosewood works with that colour nice.

Congrats\\1

axejock likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.