VG Strat Question !

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by frayne, Aug 16, 2008.

1. frayne

frayne Strat-Talker

New here to this fine forum and did a search for VG stratocaster and came up empty. Just wondering if anyone here has or plays a VG strat and what are your thoughts about the guitar. Appreciate any and all replies.

2. bobmac

bobmac Strat-Talker

Never seen one in the flesh yet alone played one, but damn! sure seems like one hell of an ax to me, If I was in the market for a new Strat I'd certainly have a closer look at a VG.

3. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

4. frayne

frayne Strat-Talker

Thanks S-T

5. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

That is my review that was linked and my thoughts on the guitar have basically stayed the same save for one important item; I have the neck worked on a bit (rolled edges, fret level, crown etc etc) and the guitar is now a standout! I recently went on a trip and it was great to take one guitar and be able to access all of those different tones. The battery situation is still a drag as is the price even though I have seen some used ones recently go for $1200 which is fair for the guitar. I'm keeping mine.............

6. Waynet126

Waynet126 Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, the battery situation has been a damper for me too. I use rechargeables and found out that they lose about 5% of their capacity each day sitting around. So, you just have to be diligent in making sure you have fresh batteries or recharged ones plus backups. Don't leave the battery pack in while it's not being played either. One thing that I've found is when the batteries go dead, this is one nice sounding American Strat. I think I'll be playing this one more now that I understand what's going on with the batteries - though I wish there was a better solution.

7. thaus

I have a set of DeTemple pups coming that I may exchange just to see what it sounds like. The stock pups are actually pretty good sounding........

8. thaus

Another observation about the batteries: I also dabble in photography and cameras and flashes are notorious power hogs so it is always advisable to have 2600mH rechargeables; I have a set of Panasonic ones for the VG and battery power is much better than the standard 2000mh ones I had before.