Vibrolux reverb BF

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by liam_66, Oct 25, 2021.

1. teleamp

teleamp Strat-Talker Silver Member

Therein lies the problem, with all of the internet experts these days, true good knowledge that is shared in good faith gets buried... fezz nailed it.

fezz parka and Nate D like this.
  2. teleamp

I'm interested in buying your amp. Has anything been replaced, if so we'll have to work on price... No, it probably want matter to anyone in the audience what you are playing that Tiesco through. My coffee is almost ready...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    CB91710, Archtops and Nate D like this.
  3. teleamp

Grab it...

4. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

The Super Reverb is the one I’d be most excited for. Looks to be a ‘66 with CTS Alnico speakers. Arguable the best sounding stock speakers (subjective), also not nearly as loud as ceramics, such as the C10R … Some of the capacitors have been changed, but that just means someone cared enough to maintain it. It may not be museum-piece original, but if it has the original transformers, it’s going to be worth more.

If you can get close up pics of the guts and the numbers on the three transformers (we can see the code on the choke), you can reference these numbers on a chart… I’ll have to dig it up, I’m on my phone right now…

5. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

E7E63068-2D67-4FDA-9B1A-0C224A32C5CF.jpeg E7F3351C-98C1-4F02-B61B-C6022D6F5EDA.jpeg 6C50DAE2-46DD-4C81-9EB4-B7373BDD4C84.jpeg

6. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

It's a 67. The chart has July 67 QG.

When I played larger stages, a 66 SR was my favorite.

TheMadStratter and rolandson like this.
  7. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

Asking is $2500. Think ima jump on this.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

It's on the high end. If you have to have it, offer 2k.

If it was me...I'd offer less.

rolandson likes this.
  9. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

Also comes with original foot switch and road case. But I shall take all this thread info and hope to walk away with at least 1 of the 2 at a good price.

10. Agtronic

Yep, GQ = July, 67.

Here are the transformer codes: https://el34world.com/charts/transchart.htm

Hard to see the reverb transformer code, but it should be 022921. Looks correct in your pic.

upload_2021-10-29_11-25-56.png

Output transformer should be 125A9A, which converts to Fender pn 022855. Also good.

upload_2021-10-29_11-36-8.png

Choke should be 125C1A, which converts to Fender pn 022699, looks good:

upload_2021-10-29_12-16-40.png

Finally, power transformer should be 125P5D, which converts to Fender pn 022798.

upload_2021-10-29_12-18-8.png

Transformers check out.

Archtops likes this.
  11. Mike H

Mike H Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I sold my '66 Super Reverb two years ago for $1400. It included the original foot switch and a road case. But it did have 2 non original speakers.

rolandson and fezz parka like this.
  12. Agtronic

A flight case is pretty expensive, so definitely a bonus.

I paid $2200 CAD for my '64 with C10R re-issue speakers. Everything else is original. No road case, no footswitch. It does seem that these amps go for quite a bit more in Canada. Nowadays, even beat up ones are over $2500.

13. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Ummm....
    Perhaps you ought to, you know, play it first?
    Yes, it's a 67- foot switch-road case and everything. And a fair amount of rust.

We're looking at photos. I have no doubt that the "T" number and tube chart are what they are...but....
    I've seen many amps that look the part but just don't sound all that great. Some where the speaker baffle - the sound board - has turned to mush from moisture. Holes in speakers not included in the photos...sort of thing.

Play it, make arrangements to have it looked at by someone who's competent to evaluate it, then decide.

There are a lot of these things out there, and as @fezz parka already said, the asking is a bit high.

AxemanVR likes this.
  14. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

Right on with that! I would never buy vintage sans playing. I’m meeting him at my local guitar shop to try both out. And negotiate. Owner of shop is an old school player with a lot of vintage amps in his personal collection so I will be getting his 2 cents on them as well.

rolandson likes this.
  15. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

A safe place to evaluate, excellent! I hope you're throwing a bone to him as well!

Ya know, being the trusting soul that I am, I'd never think to pull the chassis and actually confirm that it is the same one in the photos. But I know not everyone has the same faith in humanity...:thumbd:

liam_66 likes this.
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Switch and road case are not really relevant.

These things are everywhere at around 2k for a good example. They don't command the prices they did 10 years ago. It's the smaller amps...VR..Pro Reverb, Deluxe Reverb...that are getting higher selling prices. You can pick up a twin for a song nowadays.

Of the two...the Vibrolux Reverb will hold it's value better than the SR. Even with the reconed speakers and replacement PT. Big amps don't command a big price anymore. Perhaps the wheel will turn, but I don't think so.

Tony65x55, l88vette, Nate D and 2 others like this.
  17. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

By way of example...
    When the shop that will likely consign my 64 strat learned I have a 67 Super Reverb and a 67 Deluxe Reverb, both in almost museum quality condition, they started having kittens...
    Over the Deluxe. Hardly any interest in the Super.

fezz parka and Nate D like this.
  18. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

Yep. That totally seems to be the case. But man, I have played 1 super in my life that was rebuilt and completely non original. And even that was just so dang full and beautiful sounding. Kinda made me fall for the supers. Im glad I’ll be playing them because I go back and forth by the hour on what I think I want. If the VR price comes down and it has the fullness I’m looking for, maybe that one. Hell, maybe both. Wife would murder me though. I just remember A/Bing a super with a 69 deluxe I was considering and it openness and fullness of the tone on the super just blew it away. Been chasing that.

19. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

i have a vintage 72 Princeton and I think maybe a deluxe might not be the tonal variation the super would give me. But on an island, I’d go Princeton or deluxe. I was also looking at a BF deluxe. But have never traveled to play it and can’t see inside of it and know the speaker is not original but also comes with the original needing reconed. But it’s like a firm $3100

20. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

It's funny because the Supers weren't that different in price 20 years ago, but you could get a DR for around a grand, maybe $1200, but now that's totally off. I got my Deluxe Reverb (which is a Clark) because it was $1k less than a real one and I knew everything was new and in working order.

rolandson likes this.