Vintage 69 SFDR or new HW 64 BFDR reissue

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by liam_66, Sep 24, 2021.

Vintage 69 SFDR or the newish 64 BFDR handwired reissue?

1. Vintage 69

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. 64 HW reissue

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

Bout to make a decision here. Just curious where y’all would land.

69 sfdr is in good shape just serviced. New speaker but Original speaker comes with but and needs reconed. $2k

64 HW BFDR usually run around $2.5-3k

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Depends on the speaker...sorta.
    An Oxford? No...A Utah? Maybe...

But...the hand wired DR will be, well...a new DR. Maybe the speaker sucks, maybe it doesn't.

At any rate, in either they can be upgraded.

Now consider; what does "just serviced" mean? By whom? How much of the SF is original? Moded?

Without a lot of photos, it's impossible to give any relevant opinion.

Stratoskater and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

I've had problems with new amps..I've had problems with old amps... buy the amp that sounds the best to your ears.

dante1963 and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

I would rather have a hardwired amp, just to avoid any of the hassles with a poorly made PCB.
    But there are ant makers out there who make fine PCB amps...go with your ear.

rolandson and dante1963 like this.
  5. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

No mods. New power tubes and rectifier tube that was properly biased. And also caps and resistors as needed. Eminence speaker in it and original Utah comes with but needs reconed.

6. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

Ok my opinion I would go with the '69 but I like vintage stuff. The '69 will also over time holds it's value more than a used '64 Custom Deluxe even though it's hand wired. Something special about those old amps that came from the Fullerton factory. As others have said though let your ears be your guide.

7. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Well, personally having the experience and education to make such an evaluation; that is, I know what I'm looking at and how to establish the particulars, I'd probably be inclined toward the 69. But not without a thorough proctological exam (like using a flex mirror to verify the codes on each of the pots sort of personal inspection).

But that's just speculative. No photos, no opinion.

Intune likes this.
  8. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

sent you pics

9. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I voted for the 69 but my answer could change if an inspection yielded any major issues. I like vintage gear but I wouldn't want to inherit a basket of problems. In that event a nice HW amp would win for me.

liam_66 likes this.
  10. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

I’ve not played many of the reissues (I had a BF DDRI about 10 years ago), but I can say that I’ve never played a new DR that is the same spongy feel as a vintage one. They sound good, but to me the older ones feel better under the fingers (less stiff), and takes pedals better without getting smushed. I would always choose vintage, but I am enamored with vintage amps so my opinion is quite biased (pun not intended but I’m leaving it anyway).

liam_66 likes this.
  11. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

12. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi , @liam_66

I would gently suggest ask what was changed during the service of amp.

if the original transformers are gone say, that would be a haggling point.

liam_66 likes this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Electgumbo likes this.
  14. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

@fezz parka
    Here I’m is!!!

Ok the general consensus is my 64’ Deluxe is the finest amplifier I or any one that has played it has ever heard… period. Everyone wants to buy it. Everyone wishes their amp sounded as good as mine.

Ok the 62’ Custom Shop Strat kills thru that amp… but the guitar is magic and sounds good thru anything. But with the Deluxe it’s magic is so much stronger. It’s just that classic Fender sound you’ve hear a million times. No fuss no muss… it just up and does it. No knob tweedling cause it only sound good one way. It don’t care! Loud … soft … dry … dripping in Reverb and Tremolo it still sounds like your best friend.

The SG is great thru it too… but I think it prefers my Marshall. The SG kinda grinds classic period Stones with the Deluxe.

Ah… the Custom Shop ES-175 LOVES the Deluxe… like they were made to go together. I wish I was a better jazzer… but to be honest I’m not. But the sound like I’m Herb Ellis or Barney Kessler divine!!!

The Custom Shop 64’ Deluxe is nothing but Classic Fender tones in a new amp.

In honor of full discloser due my official/unofficial endorsement at Fender mine was 50% off…. and I received it in less the a week. All I can say is be nice to the people at your shows. You never know who will grow up to be a VP at Fender….

PS…. If you play the 69’ and it blows you away I truly hope you enjoy it. If not I truly am confident you well enjoy the 64’. I’ve never played a 69’ but I played a 72’ point to point one… a lot. It was magnificent but I think the CS64’ is even better.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  15. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

Electgumbos passion for this amp is what has me considering it. But I also love an appreciating asset as well. So I usually try and go vintage when I can.

rolandson and Electgumbo like this.
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

50 year old amp. Unknown what it's been through.

Brand new handwired amp. Like taking a time machine back to 1965 and buying one at Wallich's Music City.

The new one wins in my book. All the mileage will be yours.

17. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

An educated and informed buyer holds all the cards...
    That, plus options, in this case an alternative, is a win no matter how you cut it.

Do report back on what you find.

And for what it's worth, I had the original Oxford out of my 67 BF reconed by an outfit in Garden Grove, California called Speaker Repair Pros (their old name was Orange County Speaker and, I've come to learn, were and remain the gold standard for speaker work throughout the industry)...
    It came back sounding better than any Oxford has a right to. For ½ of what those other guys would have cost.

In case you come home with a speaker needing reconing.

liam_66 and Electgumbo like this.
  18. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

@liam_66
    Hey you can’t lose either way. I hope the 69’ is as wonderful and as good an investment as you could ask for. My deal was to good to pass up. Besides you would have to wait months to get one from the Custom Shop. Hope all goes well with the 69’.

liam_66 likes this.
  19. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

Welp. Checked out the 69 today. I was not disappointed, but maybe expected something different. I was hoping for better low end at high volume. Lows did not sound good pushed. Thought Deluxe reverbs were to have much better low end than Princeton’s. That and the increased volume was the intent of looking at the DR. Original speaker was not in it. Had a fender eminence. Amp sounded real good. Ida bought it I didn’t have a 72 Princeton reverb. Also, my PR sounds way better breaking up. With LESS flub than the 69 DR. My PR is almost all original. Anyhow, I was not in love. Didn’t get it. But MOSTLY because they had a BF super reverb. Played that and Holy cow. It sounded great. The volume on the super seemed low to me for 40 watts. Had it on 4-6 and tone set as 6 treble 6 mid and 3 bass. Guy said could have some pots installed to give better volume control. But seemed low. Then I dimed all the tone knobs. It opened up and got loud with good breakup when pushed. Cleans were glorious. So much more clear and fuller sound than the DR. He was asking $1400 for it. I asked why so low? Said it’s been recently fully serviced and had a lot done to it. Attaching the work done. Any major red flags? $1400 seems maybe worth it. Turns out maybe I wanted a SR all along to compliment my Princeton.

Attached Files:

Electgumbo likes this.
  20. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I, personally, would pass on that super. Seems to me that there's little of the original left. That price isn't low, it's high...for that one. DR's do not have a particularly robust bottom to begin with, such that the speaker is hugely important.

Tube rolling can have a substantial impact on the response in these things too. Check out:
    http://fenderguru.com/ for their discussion on those thoughts.

Electgumbo and liam_66 like this.