vintage noiseless pickups ?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by reload006, Feb 23, 2011.

1. reload006

reload006 New Member!

I have a mim fender strat that came with the ceramic pickups. I liked their tone bur wanted something that was a bit more glassy. I put in the Custom Shop '54 pickups and like them except that i cant stand that hum!

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the vintage noiseless pickups and if they will sound like the cs 54's but without the hum ?

2. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

i have no experience with them but i think kinman makes the best noisless pickups.

3. blackstratmaple

blackstratmaple Strat-O-Master

Lace Gold supposedly have a 50's sound without hum.

I have also heard good things about the Dimarzio Area set

4. D.Allen

D.Allen Senior Stratmaster

I do not like any noiseless pups at all. You can check all your grounds and jack. Buy a Fender pickguard shield for a 62 Strat it will cut maybe 75% of the hum. Last step is body cavity shielding. If they are well made and well potted pups they should have almost no hum when played clean. As you turn up the gain you should start to hear hum. I have had a number of studio musicians tell me my Strat pups are the quietest they have played. That said they will still have some hum. If you like the tone try to check your grounds and add the PG shield first it is easiest and will probably work for you.

5. phildobbin

phildobbin Strat-Talker

I use the Hot Noiseless pups. Wouldn't swap them back for the original single coils, no way...

6. BHighkin

BHighkin Senior Stratmaster

I also use hot noiseless. I tried vintage noiseless and thought they didn't have enough definition.
    Not really sure what glassy means, but check out the hot noiseless.

7. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Strat-Talker

If you really want that sound, you're pretty much stuck with the hum. You can a sound that's in the ballpark from various types of silent pickups (vintage noiseless, lace, dimarzio area 58s), but it still won't be quite the same. You could try the Suhr silent single coil backplate system, since the middle pup of the 54s is not RWRP.

You could also try to do some really good shielding on your guitar. It can really help a bit if your guitar isn't well shielded.

8. sportrider24

sportrider24 Strat-O-Master

I have vintage noiseless in my mexican deluxe players strat. I'm happy with them and like them better than stock pickups in the standard strats but I'm not "blown away". You could probably head down to a local retailer and try a deluxe players strat. They come with these pickups.

9. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

a suhr back plate will kill ALL the hum and you can use ANY single coil with it. but it is expensive but the best cure for hum and compatabile with any single coil.

10. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

I've tried a few guitars fitted with the Noiseless Fender pickups - including the Custom Shop Clapton signatures. Personally, I much prefer the old fashioned Gold Lace Sensors - the Noiseless (vintage and hot versions) seem pretty bland.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Paperback Rocker likes this.
  11. casriz2

casriz2 Strat-Talker

You I got alot of the hum out of my strat with copper lining the gut area. I used "2 copper tape I got of eBay. This is what it looked like.

Attached Files:

12. stradovarious

stradovarious Senior Stratmaster

+1 the master above speaketh the truth. I tried them all including Duncan "CLASSIC STACK PLUS FOR STRAT" set. Stacked "single coils" but supposedly the best of the bunch, and supposedly they would not suck tone like the vintage noiseless, which do big time. Well, they may not suck tone, but, sorry SD, their tone sucks. 'Nuff said.
    I may have to try Mr. Allen's pups myself. I finally gave up and am now using single coil sized rail-style humbuckers, which instantly cured the hum issue for me, however, clearly there are tonal subtleties and nuances which I have discarded along with the hum. Guess I threw the baby out with the bath water. Right now I really like my sound, but have grown to accept it and gotten used to it I guess. Just so happy to be hum free; if someone brought over a strat loaded with Allens and handed it to me to a/b them, I probably couldn't sleep at night

13. Alan0354

Alan0354 Most Honored Senior Member

I have the original Fender Vintage Noiseless on for years. Lately I tried a lot of pup, including 4 of the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Noiseless: DP404, DP408, DP402 and DP416. The Fender VN hands down IS the most vintage sounding and the glassiest of all, NOT EVEN A CLOSE COMPARISON.

Of the five pup I tested, Fender VN is the only one I would say capturing the true single coil sound. But be warned, it is still not the same as the true single coil sound. It is closer to the American Standard stock pup but a little glassier and less balls. So if you like the glassy sound, you would not be disappointed.

On that note. Of all the pup I tried, I like the split coil sound of the Dimarzio Air Classic DP191 the most. It is very glassy but still quite full in split coil mode. I my opinion, none of the single coil pup I tried even come close to the quality of the Air Classic split coil. Then on a flick of a switch, I get balls!!! It still sound very much like a strat even in HB, just add all the balls. If you don't mind the non traditional sound, give this some thoughts. I am going to experiment with other Dimarzio HB soon to see how their single coil sounds to get different flavour. I don't think much of the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage noiseless pups, but their real HB is something else.

14. Alan0354

This only help shielding the electrical noise for the unshielded wires coming out of the pup, it do nothing on the electromagnetic noise, the kind that you get higher or lower hum in different position. The magnetic field go through the copper like it is not there. That is the reason you can have HB that is fully covered by metal cover and work just as good. I have my strats totally covered like this and it really don't do much because the new American Standard has conductive paint cover the cavity. It is only a good idea for the older strats that don't have that feature or maybe some of the MIM.....I'm not sure whether the MIM has the coating.

15. reload006

reload006 New Member!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Very helpful, im glad i found this forum and love checking it out on my smrtphone.

Im leaning to dimarzio's i guess.

Might sound strange, but i kinda liked the stock ceramic pickups that came with the mim standard. They sounded warm and a bit fat, but didnt have that very sharp clarity and bite that alnico pickups have.

16. Strato67

Strato67 Former Member

You are a 100% correct my good man...i wont use nothing but a true single coil...Noiseless equals no vibe....Leo or better yet my cousin Abby didnt make no noiseless crap...;)

17. defjamzbluz

defjamzbluz Strat-Talker

I am not a fan of noiseless pups or lace sensors. If I don't hear noise something would be wrong, I also prefer a non-rw/rp middle pup. The noise is what makes a single coil if you ask me, My strat isn't loud on the hum either my strats are well shielded, I don't notice it being there but I do notice when is not.

18. anubis

anubis Strat-Talker

I'm not a fan of the standard fender vintage noiseless pickups. There's a reason by people call them "vintage toneless pickups". No tone what so ever.

The only reason why clapton gets away with it is because, well, he's Clapton, right? He's got an ass load of talent, hand point to point wired fender 57 twin amp, and that mid range booster built into the pick guard.

Oh, and did I mention he's got talent too? Heaps.

19. Alan0354

I actually think the Fender VN sound better than the Dimarzio VVs. Yes none of the single space noiseless sound like true single coil. That is the reason I change them out with the Tex Mex!!!

I took the Dimarzio apart, what they do is just put a divider between the two coil and the second coil has less turns ( I measured less than 1.5K ohm on one) and with non magnetic poles. Basically the bottom coil is just sensing the hum and cancel the top. But the bottom coil get very little signal from the strings. BUt the problem the bottom coil still act like an inductor that filter a lot of highs out from the top coil. The result is it sound nothing like a single coil nor a humbucker.

The Fender is a little different. It does have the glassy sound and the tone, but it has no balls, it sound kind of whimpy in my book. Still it is closer to the vintage pups. I can see why Clapton like it because using the active boost give back the quality and balls and the tone is complete. I have the EC boost, I might try it in the future since I do have the complete set of VN. I doubted the EC boost is going to help the Dimarzio VV. Funny I love the Dimarzio full HB but I have not much regards for their VVs.

20. tiredguy

tiredguy Senior Stratmaster

I don't mind my Vintage Noiseless pickups at all. They sound close enough that I can live with any shortcomings. They sound kinda like Stratocaster 1957 clones I've heard.