Join Strat-Talk Today

Vintage Owners I have a Question

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by bluesman1956, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Duckster

Duckster Strat-Talk Member

What? You may be reading into things a little and playing the "I've been a member longer than you" card just devalues the forum into typical nonsensical banter of a handful telling each other what they want to hear. No I dont think much of Fender as a company today. Not at all. Vintage? Yes, love them. Which is why I stick to the PRE-CBS forum. If you are taking this personal ... well I dont understand why anyone would get worked up about internet posts and cant help you there. My posts are as readable/ignorable as any. Readers choice.

[QUOTE=" I find I can still play and sound as good and or better than ever.
    Don't really get why you have just joined this Strat forum and have such a condescending opinion of Fender and some of the members here.[/QUOTE]

2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Hey @Duckster. I really like a lot of your posts.

But think about getting an avatar :) Makes it feel a bit more like you're here to play/stay.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

That article does not mention any significant differences between a 1962 Strat & a 1982 62RI. It fusses about 12th fret dot spacing (which is 100% cosmetic, & irrelevant to me) & it suggests that the neck profiles were not "accurate". But they were on the 62RIs as I explained in a different post. And anyway, that article is simply one man's opinion.

The question remains:

"What are the significant differences between a 1962 Strat & a 1982 62RI?"

My answer - nothing significant at all.

StrategicOG likes this.
  4. Bazz Jass

20 years is a very short amount of time. It would astound me if there weren't at least a handful of workers from 62 still employed there in 82. So you have potentially the same people working on the 62s and 82s!

5. stratman323

Well we know for a fact that some of the old workers were still there in 1982. Fender made big news of the retirement of Abigail Ybarra relatively recently. In fact they are still cashing in on it. At one point you could buy pickups personally wound by her. Then you could buy pickups personally signed by her.

I think their next move is to sell pickups wound by people who once knew her....... Or lived in the next street to her.....

:sneaky:

6. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

[/QUOTE]
    Not playing any cards, or taking it personal . . . or getting worked up, either. :)
    Just sayin' . . . some of your posts have a certain (someone else has mentioned) "snarky" tone and
    it just makes me wonder if you had some bad experiences with recent vintage style Fenders. :whistling:

7. Bazz Jass

Or the original factory cleaning staff....

8. stratman323

Oi! I'm the resident forum cynic - not you!

:sneaky:

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

That's a new word for it... :rolleyes::whistling:

10. stratman323

The second word is "off"......

:p

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

In 1971 I purchased a 1963 Strat for myself as a twenty first birthday present. When I bought it I was buying the guitar because I had been told by a friend, who made woodwind instruments for a living, that the quality of the woods used in older instruments was better than current wood.

At the time Fender had been sold to CBS, and had been looking at ways of reducing production costs, while continuing to producing the Fender range.

Even back in 1971, China was reportedly been buying and storing high quality timber. Primeraly for the demand for piano production which was in high demand.

In my experience, which is limited to owning one '63 Strat for 44 years, it was like a comfortable pair of shoes. The Strat didn't always hold its tuning, it wasn't as crisp and energetic as other modern Strats that I heard. It didn't look as shining new as the modern guitar.

I also bought a Fender Starcaster which I think was a CBS guitar. It was awful and the worst instrument that I every owned. Pure rubbish.

Having never owned or compared my '63 to any other Strat, I'm not qualified to answer the question. But hope that my comments might in some small way provide some insight. I suspected that if you blind tested a new Ferrarri and a thirty year old Ferrarri, apart from risking a very expensive crash, you're going to know which is which.

Del1, Bazz Jass and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  12. StrategicOG

StrategicOG Strat-Talk Member

I've got a custom shop 1957 strat with nitro. Will the back of my neck wear over time? I totally agree with you on several occasions. I love my guitar and have plated a handful of pre cbs strats and they are, as said, all over the place in terms of whatever.

13. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talk Member

Yes, the back of your custom shop nitro finished neck will indeed wear over time - providing it's played regularly. Because I have a few similarly finished recent Strats that all get played, no one of them has yet received enough play to have experienced that wear to any noticable degree. I'm finding that even the flash coat nitro is a resilient finish. I told a story in another thread of trying to remove a stain to my Sonic blue AV '59. The stain came from the ink of a leather strap which I keep on the guitar even in the case. I worked at the stain furiously with three grades of Fender polish with no luck. I then applied rubbing alcohol. That made the stain significantly less visible and I was happy and surprised to see no damage what so ever to the nitro.

StrategicOG likes this.
  14. bterry

bterry Strat-Talk Member

the differences are in manufacturing and the composition of the metals, woods and paint.

you can build the exact same guitar in 2019 that you could in 1959, down to the outlines and the neck shapes, etc. but the feel and sound will be different because the metals are different, the woods are different, the process is different, etc.

a great way to test this is out is to take an old Strat with original Kluson tuners and swap them out for modern ones. If you want an even bigger difference, instead swap out the bridge and saddles.

what you hear/feel and what you like are subjective, of course - you may like the sound and feel of an older guitar or a newer one...

i’ve been lucky enough to own a few ‘mint’ and virtually unplayed pre-cbs guitars and basses, and they still sounded and felt different than a new modern reissue because the components and processes used to build them were just different.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Adam Wolfaardt likes this.
  15. StrategicOG

StrategicOG Strat-Talk Member

Thanks! I think there really was a place for the post 2012 AV series, i didn't like it all when i got the news that they discontinued the AV. Although i am sure the OG is great, the AV was the ****ing backbone to the fender brand itself. In my humble opinion of course. Where can i read it, could you send me a link to it? Ah, damn, good thing it came off though, without hurting the lacquer!

Nokie likes this.
  16. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Senior Stratmaster

Only things that I had ever felt was close to an original pre was an 80s 62ri. Even the CS 'relic' jobs are still not really like an original finish. They look pretty good but dont have the same feel. The 30 year old nitro on the 80s RI felt really good....but it was also an old guitar in its own right. All of the checking and wear were original and it felt like it.

I own a 63 and a 90s 62ri for comparison. They are both great guitars...but the RI is NOT an original and it is immediately obvious to anyone that picks up each guitar back to back.

~JH

17. stratman323

If you do this, presumably you will fit a new set of strings? After all, you wouldn't use old strings with your new tuners, would you?

I think you'll find that the new set of strings will make much more of a difference to the sound than a new set of tuners will. ;)

18. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Strat-O-Master

Sometimes I have to wonder how many people actually play Strats just plugged straight into the amp. I don't and I almost never see anyone who does.

19. bterry

bterry Strat-Talk Member

lol, no - you would use the old strings so you could hear the difference - it’s not difficult to do!

if you were worried about it you could just use a new set of strings with both sets of tuners, though.

20. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

Sorry but that's a very weak attempt. Having tried different parts on the same guitar myself, I can definitely confirm that new parts don't sound the same as old parts. The alloys aren't the same and the sound isn't the same. Nothing to do with changing strings or string height or whatever

bterry likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.