Vintage reissues value

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Intune, Apr 8, 2021 at 10:34 AM.

1. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

I’m on the hunt for a 54 reissue to make up for the one I destroyed. So one popped up locally with no price, “please contact”. One of those ads that say no emails, phone only. So I did.

After a interesting 45 minute conversation I finally got a price of $2500CAD which I guess is fair. He says firm as the price will go up the longer he has the ad up and getting phone calls.

He basically said he’s not really interested in selling he’s getting a feel for the market, huh? He was saying this in 40 plus years will be what actual vintage 54’s cost now.

I kinda agreed and got off the phone fast. Then I was thinking will they be? The earliest reissues are what 40 years old and can be had for what $6000? You’d think his logic would make them $30k plus.

Then went down a rabbit hole of heated debates of collectors grabbing any reissue especially the early stuff thinking the same logic as the guy I was talking to. That was a google search on reissues and value.

With fender pumping these out every few years with newer and “improved” designs of reissues gets me thinking they will go up in value but hitting the actual vintage market numbers, I don’t think so. I have no idea really as I’ve had tons over the years and played them as they were made to be played. Never thinking this reissue of of reissue of the previous reissue will be worth its weight in gold one day.

One guy in my google search lost it saying something about broken solder joints hurting the value of his locked under the bed reissue, I’m thinking really? It’s not a actual vintage original so who cares.

Sorry for the rant but that guy last night and his logic and wasting my time really got me thinking. Should I run out and find as many as I can? Are they going to be worth vintages prices? Wish I could see the future like that guy did.

2. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

That’s a very high price and so is the $6000 figure for the earliest reissues. The Fullerton reissues are $3000-3500 all day. Not sure exactly what model the 54 is but it should not be higher than $2000

Miotch likes this.
  3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

If it was me and he said * this in 40 plus years will be what actual vintage 54’s cost now. *

I'd laugh my arse off in front of him. I'd probably have tears running down hahaha

Oooh lol thats funny

4. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

Alright I gotta know, how did you “destroy” a 54 Reissue?

5. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

He doesn’t sound like a serious seller, I’d give him my best price and let him know he can call me if he wants to sell it there to find out if I’m still interested. I’m assume this guitar is in collector’s condition, basically mint?

6. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Oh yeah the model he had was the 2014 American Vintage 54. Also yes I was referring to the first reissues as I did a little searching, $4000-$6000 was what I was seeing as “listed” prices.

Yes I wanted to laugh so hard but he was actually a really nice guy but I think he was a little out to lunch. Still though he did get me thinking and that’s why I started digging. 40 plus year old reissue will be worth vintage prices?

So googling the earliest they are almost 40 years old. $650 or so new and @TomH8 you say $3000-$3500 all day long. If this is true and you factor in inflation they have double in value. So that 2014 54 he has say new they are $2399, 40 years from now would be maybe $4000.

7. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

@jayaitch Oh let’s just say it’s a home relic job that went bad. It was years ago and I got it cheap because it was checked and chipped all over. I didn’t know at the time how cool this series of reissues was.

CRobbins and Miotch like this.
  8. Bern1

Bern1 Strat-Talk Member

Please keep laughing. It’s the only polite response to this nonsensical pricing.

Just what, exactly, would make these guitars worth ludicrous money?

9. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Well it wasn’t just this guy with this logic there are pages on forums all over with this same theory. I don’t want to dig up old threads because they were mostly about guys collecting them and storing them away until the market demand top dollar. At least that’s what I got out of reading the google searches.

There was no real mention of dollar amounts just collectors looking for the cleanest reissues for investment purposes. Hey that awesome, collect them all. I was just curious to they thought holding onto a 7th generation reissue would bring serious dollars down the road.

Heck I have 8 vintage reissues now, if this thinking is even remotely correct I can sell my house now, give the money back to the bank, rent a keep apartment and wait 40 years to collect my money.

10. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

It’s not just a straight line, it’s almost apples to oranges. 82-84 reissues are up in a value compared to other reissues because they’re somewhat rare, represent the last from a historic factory, and were the first reissues. They also have had a very famous user (Gilmour) and are unique with neck shapes, body contours and pickups.

it’s almost impossible to predict what guitars will go up in value more than others.

jd35801 likes this.
  11. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

That's unfortunate. Of which series was your '54? Fender put out '54 anniversary models in '96, 2004, and 2014.

Regarding the character you dealt with, yeah, it's good you gave him the air. 60th Anniversary AV's could possibly go up in a few decades, maybe even double at best in 40 years, that is not good speculation for paying full price on a used one now.

12. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

No I know, that’s kind of why I went back to the first reissue since they are the oldest and common sense would put them costing the most versus the newest reissue. I mean if safe to say with any of these reissues no matter what you paid years ago or today, will be at least guaranteed to get your money back and some in most cases.

13. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

@Nokie Mine is the 2014 anniversary version. It is unfortunate but it still plays like a dream. I was just impatient and wanted it to look old real quick. Not knowing after having a few more of this series they wear extremely quick naturally. Oh well.

14. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I've always thought they should make the "reissues" P-to-P like the originals they mimic. I understand it would cost more, so they don't. But if you brand something a "re-issue" it just seems like you should make it the same way. Not like it's rocket science, but would just take a few more dollars in parts and, I guess, a lot more dollars in labor. But (to continue my short rant) I also refuse to believe that manufacturing a P-to-P chassis or turret board can't be automated. If you can build an car that way, why can't you have a machine solder parts on a board? Again, I'm sure it's money.

I do like the way the reissues I've played sounded. But no way am I paying those prices listed above. I could buy a real '68 AB763 Super for a fraction of those prices.

15. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

$2500 for a guitar built in 2014?

You can buy a brand new MIA Ultra Luxe for less than that.

The guy sounds like a con artist to me. Things like the price is going up the longer I have the ad placed????

Sounds like a waste of 45 minutes.

Mustafa Pants likes this.
  16. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Hey I hear you! The(I don’t know what’s it’s called anymore) American Vintage series have incredible close specs to a actual vintage fender.

Don’t even get me started on fenders new handwired reissue amps! You guys ever open one up? Yes handwired but just cheesy plastic wiring, caps, plastic zip ties all over, plastic push type connectors. I had for year the Clapton twinolux, just an incredible amp that I got used fairly cheap. The retail price was insane and looking inside that was a mess of cheap parts. I just picked up a 1970 bassman for $700CAD and it’s 10 times the amp as far as quality.

17. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

My logic with vintage reissues is that they can always make more of them, but they can never make any more actual '50s and '60s guitars, hence those will always be worth more. If that makes sense.

Neil.C, Bern1 and balston11 like this.
  18. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

I mean I’m willing to pay that because to me it’s worth it. It’s a special guitar and does come at a higher price tag. Either way I got that he didn’t want to sell it rather just talk about it. The ad is also gone so did it sell or will it be posted back up next year for $3500??!

19. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Problem is there's less consistency among the original vintage ones compared to any series that Fender makes. You can read about it on the interview with Dan Smith talking about the AVRI line and it's beginning.

They went to a store that had something like 5000 vintage guitars. They had vintage Fender's lined up for each month of each year almost, they tried as many as they could and bought a couple that totalled at 5 grand at the time.

But as he says there, the neck shapes were all over the place. The pickups also. At the end of the day they have to pick a favorite and replicate that.
    https://reverb.com/news/interview-f...n-how-to-turn-around-a-faltering-guitar-brand

Intune likes this.
  20. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

What the hell. And to think I would see these used for like 1300.00-1600.00 just a few years ago. And theres only 1,954 of them. I guarantee folks didn’t like them then because of that big neck and the “dark” pickups. This entire conversation makes me sad.....