Vintage reissues value

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Intune, Apr 8, 2021 at 10:34 AM.

1. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

I mean, I think 2500.00 is STEEP for a stratocaster very few people enjoy playing

2. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

If by "P-to-P" you mean point to point, then you'll be happy to know Fender does make some that way and when they do, they do indeed cost more. The '57 Twin is an example.

On the idea that a product branded "re-issue" should be more like the original - it's interesting that when Fender did the 2012 - 2016 American Vintage Series (AV), with the intent to bring them closer in specs to the original '50's and '60's models, they dropped the"reissue" designation. It was as if the later AV's were less a reissue and more just a continuation of the production as Fender made the guitars back when, previous to subsequent "improvements".

Miotch and Intune like this.
  3. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

It’s actually one of my favourite strats and I don’t find it dark at all. If I’m testing out a newly acquired amp or pedal this is the one I grab to test. The ones I’ve seen lately are listed in the $2500CAD range and do sell. Probably not for asking price but I told him I’d pay that. He said he’d get back to me and now the ad is gone!

4. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

My favourite reissues are the AV series. I do like them all and if one pops up I’ll grab it if I can no matter what year. As for the fender point to point amp reissues, I do like those a lot but for the price they are asking retail wise for these is ridiculous. Just cheesy inside, outside looks great. When I think PTP and being mostly the tweeds they reissued I think cloth wiring, vintage caps, switches, pots, nicely soldered connections. These are not that all. Plastic wiring, cheap components, quick connect wiring, etc. Yes they do sound incredible as I’ve dragged a EC twinolux across Canada twice on the passenger seat of my car. But this really bugs me for a $4000CAD amp B9D4E1B9-4484-4955-8B0E-11962345D785.png This is my 63 bandmaster, PTP handwired for this head it was $1600CAD obviously used
    4E665245-5DCA-482B-B534-730E5BB6BC21.jpeg

Miotch and Nokie like this.
  5. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

Yes, the 2012 - 2016 AV series was the best Fender production since the pre-CBS days, IMHO. I think you're holding the newer hand-wired Fenders too close to the light. Yes, its different insulation on the wiring and newer components with their more accurate specs but it is purdy much the same point to point wiring schematic. We have to compare used cost to used cost and the recently made '57 Twin is about 2500 used. To find an original one used in great shape would be significantly more.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    Intune likes this.
  6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

That big (vintage correct) neck, and those Alnico 3 pickups were the big draw for me.

jayaitch and Intune like this.
  7. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

No doubt you do, and personally I think they are generally great stratocasters as well. I’ve gotten to test drive one and thought it was really quite good. Yeah I didnt think it too dark either, but those pickups are different than what most people are looking for in a stratocaster, my two cents.

8. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Hey no exactly, they definitely aren’t your typical simmering/quacking Strat pickups but they can get there. It’s hard to explain really but the one I have is what I’d expect a vintage 50’s Strat to sound like.

9. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

I get it, totally. My 56 AV has nearly the identical pickups. I really think the only difference are the chamfered pole pieces on the ‘54 AV

10. Steven1145

Steven1145 Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Don't quite get the "dark pickup" comment. I have the 2014 54 AV, and there's as much chime in there as your fingers or pick will put in. An awesome strat with a tree trunk for a neck (but I'm really digging that).

Intune likes this.
  11. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

I have a 2014 54 Reissue. I've owned a handful of Fender Reissues, and guitars from the Hot Rod, Thin Skin, and Signature lines. Truthfully, I've never been in the same room as a real 54 but... That 54 feels as close as I think I can come to a guitar that came out of a time machine. Fender knocked those out of the park. They really payed attention to the details of the 54's down to the "offset seam" ash body. It also has the thinnest finish of any Fender I've owned. The clear on mine is pronouncedly sunk into the grain. I always think that last run of "Pure Vintage" reissues were the best with the 54 being the best of that run.

FWIW, I also own a 2000's handwired Fender Vibroverb Custom 64 reissue with the Cesar Diaz SRV mods and that amp is glorious! It's like Angel Trumpets and Devil Trombones glorious. It even smells glorious when the tubes are hot.

Intune likes this.
  12. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

jayaitch and Stratoblaster like this.
  13. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

Yeah I dont get it either.