Join Strat-Talk Today

Vintage Tuners on Strats? yey or nay?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Feb 20, 2018.

Installing to Vintage tuners

1. YES! They looks awesome

35 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. NO. Keep it as it is

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Gotoh SDS510 HAPM.

Height Adjust Post, and Magnum Lok. Best Kluson style gears they make. $85-$90 USD

Just Locking x Nickel are....

MG $71.69

http://gotohtuners.com/Gotoh/Gotoh-Products-SD-Series.asp

I used the SDs on a high dollar LP build and love them. SD are made for 3 x 3. SDS 6 Inline.

510s are their best Gears. I used the SGL510Z 6 years ago on a Strat partscaster/ HAPM.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    ChatNoir likes this.
  2. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Interesting tuner design, I have not seen that before. I have locking tuners on two guitars and really like them. I do have the vintage tuners on my EC strat and they work very well. If for some reason my vintage tuners on the strat ever needed to be changed I will consider the GOTOH’s, but so far they have been just fine and I see no need to change them. .

3. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Strat-O-Master

I've never had a single issue with string slippage using the original Kluson / Gotoh Safety-Post style tuners across multiple guitars and with over 20 years experience.

As per jpmist, be sure to put in a sharp 90 degree bend in the string (push the string all the way into the hole first) where it meets the post, use 2 to 3 turns on the wound strings and between 4 and 6 turns on the plain strings and always wind the string down the capstan making sure to keep each string nice and tight when you do so.

Using this method, I get a perfect slip-free result every time! :thumb:

Fuzzpop and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

There isn't supposed to be a coil around the tuner post. That defeats the idea of the lock. Pull the string through tight, lock it, cut it, tune it.

The negative side to no coil, is less of a break angle behind the nut, another thing I don't like about them.

fezz parka likes this.
  5. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I just meant the small bit that's left. There's only a tiny bit on the low strings, but on the high E & B, it's usually about a full wrap plus the little bit that's going through the post and just a fragment of the kink which can make it hard to grab and get through.

I don't find that to be an issue. There's no jumping out of nut slots, there's no bothersome ring behind the nut. I definitely have the latter problem on my two LSR roller nut Strats with no string retainers and not much break angle, despite the staggered tuners.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. ryapou

ryapou Strat-Talker

I changed the vintage locking tuners on my classic player to regular split shaft tuners.
    Hated the locking mechanism and it happened that the high e string broke because I locked it too tight.
    All my strats now have vintage tuners. Super fast and easy to change strings, everything is in its place and they just look right.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  7. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

When I built my triple blacktop strat, I put vintage split shaft tuners on it.

Not sure what you mean by vintage locking tuners. To me locking tuners mean there's a thumb wheel screw on the back to lock the string going through the shaft.

8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

I never understood why they call them locking tuners, but maybe it's because the end of the string goes into it.

9. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

This is the one that I have in my MIJ Strat (Gotoh SDS510MG-XC) i.e. Magnum Lock X-Chrome ! I didn't know that they cost sooo much, I guess I'm lucky I already have this pre-installed. This is the look that I'm aiming for with my Blacktop Strat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mabley123 likes this.
  10. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Regular Kluson type Safe-T-Post tuners....yes. Anything else.....no.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Senior Stratmaster

I prefer the look of vintage - have them on my tele and I'll be using them on my Jazzmaster - and soon put them on my strat.

Laura

12. henryocq

henryocq Strat-Talk Member

:thumb:It’s just a matter of taste :thumbd::whistling::eek:

valvestate likes this.
  13. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

vintage slotted tuners belong on vintage guitars.

14. dbolt

dbolt Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Vintage all the way.

valvestate likes this.
  15. pcampbell

pcampbell Strat-Talker

I absolutely prefer the vintage tuners, and not because of how they look (although I do like the look too). I just find them much easier to use than most other tuners.

KiwiStratFan likes this.
  16. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I traded away a Squier Tele Special because of the split shaft tuners. I made a sweet deal, so no regrets, but those are nice guitars. Wish I could happen across another at a good price.

17. Fatmaninthebath

Fatmaninthebath Strat-Talker

I love vintage tuners the safety posts with the hole in the center make string changes a breeze

18. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

I got vintage locking tuners on my CP50s stat and thought they were great. Very simple, slimline, light, etc. Make my Schaller Locking tuners look like boat anchors.

Then I got my JV Tex-Mex with standard vintage tuners and think they are probably even better. It's a great trick to stick the string end down the post hole. Very neat, very simple, very reliable.

pcampbell and valvestate like this.
  19. Stratdejavu

Stratdejavu Strat-Talker

I much prefer my vintage tuners on my MIJ than the Grover tuners on my Gibson explorer they are way more sturdier and much better at keeping my strings in tune and stringing as well. Fender Vintage tuners all the way!

valvestate likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.