Vintage V6

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by bitsleftover, Oct 29, 2012.

1. bitsleftover

bitsleftover New Member!

New to the furum so hi to one and all.
    I got a cheepo 'Vintage V6' strat copy, (the ones with the Trev Wilkinson hardware by JHS) a while back.
    It was as rough as a box of spanners when I got it used off ebay but Ive levelled the frets, given it a good set up, shielded the cavities, removed the lacquer from anywhere it cant be seen. Ive Blocked the trem, fitted a new nut and Ive even reshaped the headstock to make it look a bit more 'F' Ive rewired the switch so that the centre tone pot effects the Bridge pup as well as the mid pup, and fitted a treble bleed cap so that it doesnt mud up as I back the Vol off and I am really pleased with it. Especially since I only payed £90 for it.
    The problem is...
    When I play the low E string anywhere higher than the 5th fret it oscilates as if it were out of tune with its self. It is very slight at the 5th fret but gets worse the higher up the neck I get. Its kind of like a really nasty tremolo pedal. (but not in a good way)
    It does the same thing regardless of which pup I am using, and I have played through other Amps and it does the same thing.
    Anyone got any ideas of where to start? Ive messed with quite a few guitars in my time but never heard of this before.
    Thanks in advance.

2. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-talk.

Your Strat has a classic case of "Strat-itis." Lower your pickups almost down to the pickguard, and see how it sounds. Then adjust them up from there to get the sound you want, without the oscillation.

3. bitsleftover

bitsleftover New Member!

Wow, you nailed my problem in one!
    Thanks mw13068. I really appreciate your help. Easiest fix ever as well. Took all of 60 seconds!
    Well that was a short discussion!
    Cheers mate.
    Mick

4. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

No trouble. We've all been there. Me, more than once. 'tis an easy thing to forget.

Lots of people spend good money replacing pickups that are just not adjusted properly.