Vintera 50s Strat string spacing.

FuncleManson

Strat-O-Master
May 23, 2021
Moline, IL
Thanks, everyone for the replies; very helpful so far; just to elaborate, I also have a G&L legacy, same problem (my guitar tech actually told me that’s how its supposed to be…I just looked at him. Lol). I have a ‘15 MIM strat, absolutely no problem, the spacing is right on. Also have a PRS SE and the spacing there is brilliant; then again, I’ve played other PRSs and passed because again, the e strings were falling off the neck with only the slightest provocation. Go figure…
Your MIM probably has a 2 1/16" string spacing. The vintage spacing is 2 7/32". You wouldn't think 5/32" of an inch would make that big of a difference, but it does. If you're uncomfortable with the wide spacing, I think @uncle daddy's suggestion of the vintage/narrow bridge would be the way to go.

Tone Deaf

Stratosaurus Magnificus
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2009
New Jersey, USA
1660236107318.jpeg

Your Vintera has a 1.650” width nut.

Your Vintera has an American Vintage size Bridge assembly. See above #2 bridge

Take a look at the #3 above Callaham American Vintage - NARROW BRIDGE in the above diagram- that may be what YOU are looking for.

Last edited:

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
It is how it is with a 7.25 radius and wide string spacing, no need to laugh at your tech? Wide spacing and a 9.5 radius is not a issue. You just need to tweak it and really some are just worse then others. I have all vintage spec fenders are have resolved this by doing my own set ups and technique habit changes.
Didn’t laugh at the tech…

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
I dunno. I have tried to get on with 7.25” necks for some time now. Some aspects of them I love, but most feel tight/cramped. I have to say the 8.5” radius on my Silver Sky SE feels almost perfect.
Yeah I agree; I have a PRS SE and a Custom 10 top; I think the radius is great and works for me; but there’s thing about the Strats and the Vintera necks I absolutely love….

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
What don’t you know? Vintage radius and wide string spacing can cause issues with E strings falling off the fretboard. If people don’t like it or can’t set up or get a guitar tech to help then move it along. Lots of guitars out there with a flatter radius.
Sure, but I really really really love the strat radius….

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
Oh okay you just looked at him, lol. I see you were lolling to yourself because he said that’s how it is. Which is true but he still should have been able to tweak it a bit to help.
Well, not to split hairs, but I wasn’t even lolling to myself; it was more like, ‘I’m the customer, I want what I want, and you ought to give it to me.” I think he caught the drift, because he said something like, “that’s how it’s supposed to be….but if it’s not what you want, we’ll try to fix it.” I guess I just DID split hairs….lol….

Fenderbaum

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 11, 2020
Bergen, Norway
Its common.. And its worse the more lower gauge string you use.
1st, One comprimise is to cut a new nut and narrow the spacing there. Shifting the High-E just slightly from the edge is doing huge increments. Some here might call it crazy, but if your neck is a 52mm wide or more, its doable.
I personally have no issues with the Low-E slipping and i can bring it dagerously close to the edge and its not slipping on me. Since i can do that, i can shift the grooves in the nut upwards, eliminating the high-E slipping off. But if its a problem for you to edge the Low-E, narrowing the spacing can be too much probably.
2nd, shift the neck a bit. see what it does.
3rd: Get a Vintage Narrow bridge.

Last edited:

Lilmoody

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 15, 2022
New York City
Hi everyone; I recently got this great 50s, road worn Vintera, all original parts, etc. Love everything about it (including a killer price), but both e strings are so close to the egde of the fretboard they constantly fall off with the slightest bending or vibrato. The guy I bought it from, a really fine builder in his own right, said I could order from Fender, or stew Mac a bridge with narrower spacing. Anyone have any experience with this? Otherwise, great ax…love it already….

The only thing I can think of, that you can you do to fix the string spacing issue is either:

1) Don't have a Vintage Spec'd guitar, but luckily you can read #2 below :)

2) You need to change the bridge to something with 2-1/16ths instead of 2-7/32.
The latter being vintage string spacing. What you'll want is the modern American Standard 2 Point bridge, but given you got a Vintera that's been pre-drilled for a 6-point, you'll need a conversion like the Mexican Standard 6 Point bridge or American Vintage NARROW 6 Point.

2a) Get a nut that accommodates 2-1/16ths string spacing and should be voila!

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
The only thing I can think of, that you can you do to fix the string spacing issue is either:

1) Don't have a Vintage Spec'd guitar, but luckily you can read #2 below :)

2) You need to change the bridge to something with 2-1/16ths instead of 2-7/32.
The latter being vintage string spacing. What you'll want is the modern American Standard 2 Point bridge, but given you got a Vintera that's been pre-drilled for a 6-point, you'll need a conversion like the Mexican Standard 6 Point bridge or American Vintage NARROW 6 Point.

2a) Get a nut that accommodates 2-1/16ths string spacing and should be voila!
I do believe you’re right! I think, if I don’t get used to it as is, I’ll start with 2a…

stratubes

Strat-Talk Member
May 7, 2022
Sienna burst
Hi everyone; I recently got this great 50s, road worn Vintera, all original parts, etc. Love everything about it (including a killer price), but both e strings are so close to the egde of the fretboard they constantly fall off with the slightest bending or vibrato. The guy I bought it from, a really fine builder in his own right, said I could order from Fender, or stew Mac a bridge with narrower spacing. Anyone have any experience with this? Otherwise, great ax…love it already….
Is that typical 7.25"r?