Vintera modified strat wiring project

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by agarcia, Oct 21, 2020.

1. agarcia

agarcia New Member!

Hi guys, I recently tried my first home soldering project and built a new pickguard from scratch, in which I tried to recreate the vintera modified strat wiring based on pics of the underside of the pickguard I found online... and failed....
    It uses an S-1 volume pot and a 5 way superswitch, to turn on the neck pickup on the positions 1 and 2.
    At least it sounds like a regular strat wiring with no issues, but I'd like to know if any of you has a diagram for that vintera mod wiring, or better pics than the ones I found online, so I can finish that project successfully.
    Thanks a lot!

2. yockoe

yockoe New Member!

I would like a wiring diagram as well.

Thanks.

3. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I found a picture from a Stratosphere listing on Reverb.
    I'm honestly at a loss as to why they used a Superswitch, unless Fender is moving to that for all production?

The only thing the S1 switch does is connect the neck pickup to the output. That can be done with standard 5-way wiring. The Superswitch is generally only needed if you want humbucker coil tapping, or alternative tone pot switching.

One thing to note on the S1 switch... it is a 4PDT switch, but two of the contact sets are reversed from the other two:

S1-1.jpg
    S1-bottom-view.jpg
    fotulzmoecjw4puzs8nw.jpg

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Strat-Talker

well... I can tell you this much... the s1 switch is just a 4 pole 2 throw switch. no dif than any other. the mega/super switch is 4 pole 5 throw. you could take a normal strat wiring, and use a dpdt to send the neck live to common... as well as normal neck lug on 5 way. then just send the opposing lug to the bridge lug on the 5 way. voilla neck and bridge would be active in pos 1 and 2. I suspect that that won't necc buy you happiness because neck and bridge are both forward polarity and forward wind... meaning you'll get no hum cancelling. you could additionally use lugs from either s1 or mega switch to flip winding direction on the neck (ie switch live and ground - requires 2 poles) this won't give perfect hum cancelling because wind will be opposite but polarity the sm... but it will cancel hum better. if you send neck pickup to live... it will be on in all positions ie (the only dif) pos 3 would become the sm as pos 4. I suggest... figure out what you want to do in each pos... then write it out on a piece of paper. then write out the switches as 4 individual 1p2t connections and think about what connections they need to make. you can do this... it's not hard... but requires some thought. hope that in some small way helps.