Vintera Road Worn '50s Stratocaster HSS

Retroe

Strat-O-Master
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
I searched the forum but couldn't find any threads relating to this model. Not much info on the web for this particular guitar, either.

I know some folks don't care for HSS format on Strats but that's a minor fix if you want.

I kind of like it; thin nitro faded sonic blue finish, soft v neck, 7.25 radius w/vintage tall frets, MF has them on sale for $999 right now.

What are your thoughts?

1656174730711.png

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
Vinteras are generally considered top quality MIM guitars. The finish won’t wear. Check the weight, they can be boat anchors.

YohanTheMan

Strat-O-Master
Sep 3, 2020
Denmark
I like it too. I think it's a little different to have a 50s version with HSS rather than a 60s version, which i think would be more obvious. It caught my eye the first time I saw it, but i have a Vintera Road Worn so I'm not looking at the moment.

I think someone here ordered one maybe a couple of months ago. Haven't seen a NGD thread, but i could've missed it.

Retroe

Strat-O-Master
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
^^ Yeah I think it's a little different but cool looking because it's a 50s style and I like that the humbucker has a chrome cover (instead of naked like they are on the Player HSS strats) even though its a a Player Series Alnico 2 humbucker.

Vinteras are generally considered top quality MIM guitars. The finish won’t wear. Check the weight, they can be boat anchors.

The finish is nitro lacquer so I think it will wear. And it's an Alder body, so why are you saying they can be boat anchors? Are you referring to Vintera's or to all MiM guitars in general?

Last edited:

Retroe

Strat-O-Master
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
K.
If your expecting vintage looking/acting nitro your gonna be disappointed.
Alder can be heavy.

So then all Fender guitars (not just MiM or Vintera) that have Alder bodies can be boat anchors. The way you worded it, I thought you were referring to just this particular model.

And thank you for informing me about RW nitro finishes. I wasn't aware they're different from other nitro finishes and therefore, don't wear.

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
I think it looks fantastic and I’ve only read great stuff about them. If they are as good as the old Roadworns they sure are awesome! If I had 1k burning a hole in my pocket, I’d be ordering one right now. The covered Humbucker looks nice here I think, can’t stand an uncovered Humbucker personally…

Mustrat

Strat-Talker
Jun 16, 2017
CT River Valley
A Vintera roadworn finish will wear. Regarding the 'not like vintage nitro' you need to remember that different nitros were used in different eras anyway.

Also, the average weight of Vintera alder Strats on places like Sweetwater and Wildwood are lower than the average weight of the Am Pro II Strats thatboth have.

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
A Vintera roadworn finish will wear. Regarding the 'not like vintage nitro' you need to remember that different nitros were used in different eras anyway.

Also, the average weight of Vintera alder Strats on places like Sweetwater and Wildwood are lower than the average weight of the Am Pro II Strats thatboth have.
There’s a clear poly undercoat beneath the nitro finish. I can’t scratch or dent my finish with my thumb nail when I’m trying. I’d be very surprised if any Vintera owner said there’s was wearing.
Mine is 8.8lbs. I suggested the OP take note of the weight before he buys online. You disagree?

Mustrat

Strat-Talker
Jun 16, 2017
CT River Valley
There’s a clear poly undercoat beneath the nitro finish. I can’t scratch or dent my finish with my thumb nail when I’m trying. I’d be very surprised if any Vintera owner said there’s was wearing.
Mine is 8.8lbs. I suggested the OP take note of the weight before he buys online. You disagree?
Ok, mine is wearing. It's a Tele though so it probably doesn't count. I am seeing more wear on the forearm area and near the pickguard from enthusiastic strumming.

Weighing in at 7.2 lbs is in my not too much not too little range.

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
Ok, mine is wearing. It's a Tele though so it probably doesn't count. I am seeing more wear on the forearm area and near the pickguard from enthusiastic strumming.

Weighing in at 7.2 lbs is in my not too much not too little range.
That’s good news. Although youre the first poster I’ve hear say theirs is wearing. I don’t play mine much. Selling it in a month.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
They finish will wear but yes, don’t expect a 50’s looking strat finish. That nitro finish sticks surprisingly well to the polyurethane sealer. It will wear and look 3D like.

Here’s a relic’d road worn jag. The finish looks like it’s floating. D9CA170E-2D23-40F8-941B-28D403052170.jpeg

Tombombidil

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 18, 2021
Atlanta
I played one of the SSS models and it had some serious mojo. Loved it. And the finish felt fantastic. $1000 is a good price. But I don’t know if I’d want a super vintage feeling guitar with a humbucker. That first and second position felt great.

bdrs1

New Member!
Aug 16, 2020
USA
I bought one that was blemished, hopefully just a return due to confusion over the MF listing which does say HSS but then states the bridge as being "Proprietary single coil". It should be here Wednesday and unless there's something horribly wrong with it I plan on keeping it. A "blemished" Road Worn strat? No problem. My Flea bass is Road Worn and I do like the look and feel but mostly I like the freedom of not constantly worrying about maintaining a pristine finish.

So far this is the only Vintera Road Worn 50s configuration I've seen that comes in Sonic Blue. The normal Vintera 50s has that color option but the SSS RW 50s only came in Surf Green and Fiesta Red.

The humbucker is a Player Series Alnico 2 and from the one YT review I've seen it sounds pretty nice and not out of place.

The look is a bit jarring so I had started looking for a new 8 hole pickguard and SSS set to swap in and I found a single coil bridge pull on Amazon from a seller I recognize from eBay which led me to someone selling a complete SSS pull from a 2021 Vintera RW 50s. So I grabbed that for a price I'm happy with, I don't know if I'll actually end up swapping it or just use it for another project.

So right now with taxes and shipping I'm all in for the guitar, a spare SSS loaded pickguard, and a Poodle case for $120 less than the normal retail of just the guitar.

Forest Lemon

Strat-Talker
Mar 10, 2022
Western NC
I played one of these models in the store briefly at GC about 2 months ago. It had the thickest neck I've ever seen on an electric guitar and it felt like raw wood, so I didn't plug it in. It was fairly heavy, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was due to the massive neck on it. I love my 60's Vintera though, so if you like fat necks it would be a great guitar.

Last edited:

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
I have a Schecter NJ in atomic orange and HSS. But this sonic blue roadworn is beautiful. Maybe if I can find a used one.

tery

Dr. Stratster
Jul 31, 2014
Tennessee
MF has these listed on sale at their website as "New & In Stock" .... but the guitars are being shipped from GC stores - they are open box demos that have been hanging on the store wall.

Retroe

Strat-O-Master
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
MF has these listed on sale at their website as "New & In Stock" .... but the guitars are being shipped from GC stores - they are open box demos that have been hanging on the store wall.
Exactly what I received and so I called and complained that I didn't get a new guitar. Received a 15% refund from MF.

Unfortunately they're no longer on sale