1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Vintera Road Worn - Many Issues

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fendrix, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:46 PM.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Not funny, I’m old and forgetful, enjoy the rest of your Saturday

2. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

I saw a couple Vintera Road Worns in person, but didn't try one. Honestly, I thought the finish looked awful. Almost like chalk paint. Zero gloss. I know it's a RW, but previous models had at least some remnant of a gloss finish.

Fendrix likes this.
  3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I agree with @Ebidis . You got a lemon and can send it back. Chances are the next one you get will be what you wanted. Never even seen a venter Road Worn, but the Vinteras I tried were all super-nice.

Fendrix likes this.
  4. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

If you’re knowledgeable about setups I’d recommend you just fix it. But no harm in sending it back if you don’t want to bother with it or don’t know how to do it.
    I do a full setup, fret polish, fret work, rolling fretboard edges on my guitars anyhow so that wouldn’t bug me.
    Except the warped scratch plate. That might bug me but I’d need to see pics.
    Also, NO PICS?!?!

Tguitarfloyd and RobZ69 like this.
  5. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

The biggest issue here is the truss rod which is maxed out and it still has way too much relief and I believe it could be an expensive repair . I wish I could fix it myself though, it has a killer tone better than any American strat I have ever had.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 6:23 PM
  6. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

I was interested in the roadworn Teles and as gear4music is pretty local to me, I popped in to have a look. I’d been looking forward to Fender re-doing the roadworns for a while so I was pretty much ready to buy.

They only had a 70’s Tele on display (I was interested in the 50’s) but they had some of the Strats hung up too. I didn’t play them but the fret work on them all was shocking, lots of sprout and badly finished ends. It totally put me off getting one as I didn’t want to go through the hassle of ordering then possible returning online.

Fendrix likes this.
  7. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

8. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

Wow, thanks for the info mate.
    Anyway, I tried a vintera at another shop and I thought those were pretty good. Maybe I just got a lemon or maybe I should aim at the standard range of vinteras which as far as I’ve seen had better craftsmanship.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 1:11 PM
  9. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Senior Stratmaster

Too bad for the OP,
    but mine is super nice, super playable and everything’s like it should be...
    FAE2839B-68FC-45AE-A25B-53979503B85C.jpeg

The-Kid, Jesse414, Henry2 and 8 others like this.
  10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

That's pretty crappy. I'm getting ready to buy one from Monoprice and even they set up their top of the line stuff...and it's only $249

11. Ted J

Ted J Strat-Talker

The last time I went in a guitar shop in the UK (live in Turkey now), I tried a few guitars out
    Custom shop Strat .......nice feel to the neck with compound radius
    MIM Telecaster...... not bad setup , but action a bit high and well out of tune
    Jaguar (not sure where made ) bloody terrible , action like a cheap acoustic and the high E flipped off with a simple strum, heavy too , popped the string back tuned it and used the trem , pinged all over the place and didn't return to pitch
    I said to an assistant do you set these up when you get them , "Nope" he replied

Weirdly the nicest of them all was a student model Musicmaster reissue, it played like butter

The shop , what used to be sound control (where I got my Strat from years before), Regent road in Salford

Fendrix likes this.
  12. Wrighty

You’re in Germany...............the OP’s in Manchester, makes a difference I’m sure.

Fendrix likes this.
  13. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Senior Stratmaster

I‘m not sure I got you right...What do you mean?

14. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-O-Master

I'm sure it was fine before they dragged it behind the pickup truck to patina it...

Fendrix likes this.
  15. mike58

mike58 Strat-Talk Member

Wow, I’ve come across many Fenders in UK shops that are rough but that’s a cracker. Sounds as though it’s been subjected to a lot of temperature / humidity changes .
    Get it back ASAP , you are totally covered by distance selling regulations , that guitar will never be right... but I’ll bet it ends up being resold to some unsuspecting innocent buyer.

Fendrix likes this.
  16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Me too, the Squiers usually put them to shame.

17. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

Return it and take a PRS SE like I did. You will go deeper into the wonder.

18. Wrighty

From my experience quality of service and supply in Germany and Austria is a cut above that in the UK

Thrup'ny Bit and Fendrix like this.
  19. fos1

fos1 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

That's what happens when you buy something that is already road worn.... ;)

I like new and try to keep them looking like they are taken care of. Just me.

Fendrix likes this.
  20. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Stratmaster

If you contact fender, you should be able to get the frets dressed and it’s set up to your liking by a local repair shop

The fret dressing should be on fenders dime, you can probably get them to adjust the rod for you as well

reason I mentioned this, is that if the only problem are the frets and adjustment, I would rather get that solved. The second one you get may be worse than the first, and you mention it’s nice and light weight and sounds great. That is not a prerequisite for a guitar necessarily.

if I get a guitar that has a nice looking fretboard, is light, and sounds good, I’m trying to figure out how to solve the other minor issues on my own if there are any.

The real problem here however is the fact that you have not posted any pics

A Nitro Lake Placid blue strat is a thing of beauty

Fendrix, RobZ69 and The-Kid like this.