Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Vocal Processor

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by zeeter, Apr 9, 2013.

1. zeeter

zeeter Strat-O-Master

Nov 2, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I need to change things up a bit here and talk about a vocal effects processor. I have my eyes on the TC Helicon VoiceLive Play Vocal Harmony Effects Processor.

My understanding is that I can harmonize with this and it will also correct my pitch so that I am singing in key - so long as I'm not so far off that they can't fix it. It also has voice doubling and a bunch of other effects.

It has additional effects so that I can sound like other artist. That is not really my goal. I only want to be able to sing in tune.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit or can you make any other recommendations?

2. zeeter

zeeter Strat-O-Master

Nov 2, 2011
    Philadelphia
    bumping this up a notch

3. buffetdestroyer

buffetdestroyer Strat-Talker

Apr 2, 2013
    Nevada
    I have the Digitech Vocalist Live 3 which is a sister product to yours, using the same processor technology with several of the same features, but limited to 2 additional voices over the original pitch - the 5 is the one that gives more voices and effects.

Personally, I like the unit a lot and it is a great tool for recording or small live gigs. However, like any tool (other than auto-tune or just lip-syncing someone else's work), it won't make you good, but can polish the rough spots out of a pretty good performance.

A negative is the pitch correct on full setting will eliminate some of the wanted nuances in your voice like fluid transitions between two notes and some vibrato. At about 1/3 to 1/2 is the sweet spot for me. If you are a decent singer (I'm getting there, but am not yet), this will be a great confidence booster that will polish minor inconsistencies or breaks in your voice. If you are an awful singer, it won't make you sound like you can hold pitch like Freddy Mercury.

The latency is one thing that throws me a bit. The harmonies do take a bit to catch your chord on transitions and doing hammer-ons or pulloffs will create changes in the harmony in the middle of a sustained vocal note. The Humanizer sets the voices to start at different points (like backup singers would) and it doesn't benefit most of the stuff I do, but throws me off more than sounding good. The harmony really works best when on your guitar you are doing straight chords that are strummed or sustained arpeggios with open strings that ring out. Simplify to a basic rhythm guitar playing style and it will work well. If you are looking to shred or do Hendrix while singing, it won't be as effective.

The real benefit is that it harmonizes without needing to arrange a harmony or having backup singers that are talented enough to harmonize. It adds considerable depth to choruses or accent points in your song and is excellent for folk, country and pop-rock/metal styles. You can be Simon without needing a Garfunkel and get those great country choral accents or sound like Def Leppard's backing vocals!

It benefits from an open and soft voice in mid to high range with less character and definition than many stylistic lead singers have (the emoting and nuances of vibrato don't harmonize as well as a straight take on the notes).

I hope this helps.

4. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a TC Helicon Create pedal that I use for acoustic singer/songwriter stuff so I can have my own vocal effects at my feet. Let me say this to you about pitch correction(a sometimes highly debatable/controversial subject with singers)..... before jumping into a pitch correction effect, I would sincerely work long and hard on your actual singing. Daily - your voice is a muscle and the more you use it correctly, the better and stronger singer you can become. Take some vocal lessons, or look up techniques and tips online. Concentrate on your breathing and zero in on your weaknesses. See, it's likely that once you go down the pitch correction safety net route, you will cease to improve as an ACTUAL singer. A machine doing the work for you does not make YOU a good vocalist, it makes you dependent on a little magic box/crutch. Imagine if there were a little box you could step on that made you sound like a great guitar player with tuneful bends, slides, vibrato, fancy pull-offs etc when the truth is you know a couple of chords and a few stock leads. Your authentic musicality is what you should strive to highlight imo. Now, all that said, I'm not trying to bash or tell you what to do, but rather give you a little food for thought on legitimately improving your vocals. I LOVE to sing..... more than playing, actually.

5. mongo2058

mongo2058 Strat-Talk Member

May 20, 2013
    SALEM,OR
    so tru just like practicin your instrument,,,ive got a deep voice n just wanna groul out some fecent blues. several years as a sound guy i can fatten up vocals. but would like to run live through my computer instead of a pedal. and since a back injury the less i have to drag around the better.stayin home doin my own stuff ,,,after time time on the local circuit sticky fingers flake.druggies n jerks that wont show for a sound check then like to ***** left me with a bad taste. will do a garage thingg again after i complete some projects,,,two years of bad health left me a load. help is hard to find and arrogance seems to be a bit rampate. back to the subject though wonder if you all have any take on runnig through a puter instead of a box. thanks for lettin me rant. big wes and 10 guage