volume loss normal?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by afrank9000, Apr 1, 2013.

1. afrank9000

afrank9000 Strat-Talk Member

So I dusted off my old Digitech RP multi fx unit. I love my Egnater Tweaker but it has no reverb, and i was craving some reverb and delay lately.

I noticed that with the digitech in bypass, I was loving my tone. Raw, with midrange bite and low end thump. Engaging the pedal resulted in losing volume, and with it some of the high end sparkle and low mids. I tried pulling everything out from presets but reverb, and it was still like losing 20% of my tone with it engaged.

I never noticed this volume loss before, but I never played thru a tube amp I love all on its own either so it was not as relevant I guess. Its kind of a deal breaker. Should I just go get a decent stand alone reverb and delay and ditch this digitech?

2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

hey, man
    i would check out the Mxr Carbon Copy delay.
    and a TC Hall of Fame reverb.

i think what it is is the RP is not true bypass...I had that same issue you described with a Vox wah that wasn;t.

3. afrank9000

It doesn't seem like Bypass issue. Like I said, it was fine in Bypass mode (unengaged) and my signal still going thru it. Its only when engaged that it seemed to suck my tone. And with all the modeling crap pulled out, using just the reverb, for it to suck tone like that....... not cool. So I was curious isf this is normal or not.

I feel like doing some experimenting now, going to the local Mars Music and testing some mult fx units and stompboxes to see how much they "color" or affect tone.

4. tumeniguitars

tumeniguitars Strat-O-Master

My old boss harmonizer does a similar thing which is why I put it in a looper-so it's only in the path if I'm using it. If all you want is a reverb, I'm sure you can find a unit that doesn't screw up your tone. I use a holy grail nano and I'm not sure if it's true bypass but it sounds fine on or off. There may be a slight tonal change when it's on but not enough to notice when playing at stage volume.

5. widget

widget Strat-O-Master

I was having this issue with my rp500, and after a few days I realized the master volume of the pedal was turned down.
    Also happened once (okay several times!) that my board's expression pedal (volume pedal by default) wasn't fully toe down.
    It's possibly one of those two easy fixes. Hope so for you!

6. midifarm

midifarm Commercial Suspension

Where is your local Mars Music???

7. afrank9000

Wow what flashback slip, I meant our local Sam Ash store. Ha. Mars music was the guitar center of my teen years.

8. adamsx

adamsx Strat-O-Master

I noticed some volume loss when I had the Aqua Puss delay

9. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Which Digitech is it? (I have an old RP6 that I use sometimes)
    Depending on how you are using it, it has a 'cab emulator'. Try turning that off.
    Run it in 'programme mode' rather than 'bank mode', make sure everything else is turned off, especialy the compressor.
    You should be able to make up any loss in volume with the 'Output' and 'Prescence' knobs.

SB